General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which Animal Drives Us Wild!!!

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Thought I would put together a list of Holly and Maxs' intriguing animals -

BIRDS (Drive them potty) - Hate Magpies!

Cats - dont mind their sister Fliss but any others :evil:

Horses - really should try and play with them

Sheep - why do they all group together and stare at us??

Cows - they have bigger tongues than Chows!

Dogs - Not too keen on anything that yaps! Either put up or move on! Prefer big dogs though.

Children - my mates son is obsessed by them but the only safe time for him to be with them is when they are eating! Not alone obviously! But Max the younger Chow gets excited and 'punches' him so we need to keep tabs on them. Any other kids are adamant that Max is in fact Aslan the Lion.

I would definately put birds at the top - teasers! Sit in their tree all day squawking! :evil:
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

My two's top 3 are (in order of being driven wild):

1. Insects... flying, crawling... just plain insects such as flies, bees, ants, spiders.

2. Oppossums

3. Squirrels

Sometimes they get frisky when they see birds or an occasional cat, but those 3 are their tops!
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

Right now for Tivo it's cats which is unfortunate because he shares the house with five "sister" felines. Fortunately our house is a two story and he hasn't figured out how to go up stairs yet so they sit at the top and stare at him but should one dare to set a paw on the first floor the chase is on! Amazingly enough the cats have learned to recognize the sound of his crate closing and then they come downstairs. My four-legged kids never cease to amaze me.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily here:
1. Rabbits

2. Cat

3. Any bird ( I find turkey and seagull esp. intriguing)

4. TBA- I know there's a bunch of animals I haven't met
yet, so we're keeping this slot open to future delicacies... I mean critters as they become available!
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

Rabbits

Squirrels

Ducks (will attempt to swim to reach a duck)

Cats on occasion

Bugs, loves to chase them

Once in awhile a bird
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

Pekoe checking in:

Rabbits
Cats
Squirrels
Opossums
Bee's
Lizards
Newly discovered, Pheasants

Seedy looking people Drunks especially, she can smell liquor a mile away, then stand and growl at the person watching them all the way down the street ( I know its not an animal but some would question Human behavior.)

Ducks and birds are ok, Ducks have sat down next to Pekoe and never run from her, some how they know they are safe with Pekoe around.
Farm animals no problem she thinks she is one of them she could spend the whole day chit chatting with a horse or sheep.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly and Mabel here. We would like to get:-

Cats

Squirrels

We like birds and let them come and have their dinner in our garden and we like the ducks and swans in he park. We watch them.

Horses are very big and we just watch them.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
VTCHOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by VTCHOW »

Sadie likes:

1. squirrels

2. moles

3. other dogs

Jake likes:

1. insects (june bugs, lightning bugs, flys, etc)

2. moles (learned that one from big sis)

3. birds (when they get real close)
Mandy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mandy »

Harumph! Chewie here! Here are my very favorites...

1) Bunnies
2) Bunnies
3) Bunnies
4) Bunnies (AHHHH - Cayenne... go away!!!)

Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! This is Cayenne. I told Chewie to go chase a bunny cause he wasn't doing this right... so mom says I'm "critter crazy" cause I like to eat flies and lightening bugs and I like bunnies and squirrles and kitty cats and ground hogs and chipmunks and mousies and butterflys and crows and robins and spiders and doggies and kids and big people and ooooooppps mom is coming gotta go!
Mandy, Chewie, & Cayenne
chowchow186
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowchow186 »

Mine personal fav. is CATS!!!
Cuz. there are mostly only stray cats here

But, what can we do to stop them from chasing them? I have succcessfully stopped my dog to stop chasing birds by moving away quickly when he is chasing them. Are there any better ideas or is this the yo, Chow Chow Thing?
chris

Post by chris »

BUGS BUGS BUGS..

Birds, especial those BIG ones.. ;-)

small critters

CATS (newly discovered)

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMY

Chow
Steel
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Firesong says
1. Squirrels! I'm going to grow wings and get them!
2. Bunnies! I can smell them where are they?!
3. Birds! Almost as good as squirrels and just as silly.
4. Bugs but mom lets me catch them, she says "good girl" too!
5. Cats but I don't see many of those around here.
6. yappy dogs! If you don't want to play, shut up!
7. Connan and Damain, my two rottie friends.

Darkwind says
1 Firesong!
2 cats, are they leading me to food?
3. dumb dogs in apartmenst that bark from windows, I will not answer them, I'm too dignified!
4. dumb dogs that bark at me on the street; I'm a ChowChow, I AM NOT impressed!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

1. SQUIRRELS
2. BUGS, any and all (o, except ants, those are boring)

That's it. I'm bored of cats for now. I love bug hunting though. Yesterday, in the middle of potty-ing I jumped up and tried to get some little flying thing, then I went back to potty-ing. AND, best of all, I've been fooling my mommy lately by being good around squirrels, but last night...oh last night was glorious! I saw one, and the silly squirrel got scared and ran right towards me. I was stunned, but then he was maybe 3 mm away!!!!! I lunged for it, but mommy said no and he ran around me. :cry: I was so excited, I went right into zoomies right there on my leash. :D

Drakwind, I don't answer barks either. You're right, we don't have time for that!!! :wink:

Purple kisses to all,
Special Dark
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Dakotas list of worst offenders in ascending order:

4) Cats...(obviously)
3) Cows (came too close to her Daddy on his farm while he was feeding them one time)
2) Horses (so big and smelly)

and the number one worse offender by a long shot...
1) CAMELS!!! (yup, you read that correctly, camels)

We used to live close to the zoo which is surrounded by a park. We would take Dakota for walks in this park and there's a section of the trail that loops around behind the zoo where the camels are kept. Well, everytime we would even get NEAR the camels, Dakota would go absolutely ape-s**t! (sorry, but its true). Meanwhile the camels would come close to the chainlink fence and calmly check her out, used to drive her batty. So anyway....camels. :roll:
pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

1) Bunnies - 'cause we see those the most.
2) Chipmunks - they like to play hide and seek in the woodpile.
3) Racoons - well, just one that went under the deck until I chased it out.
4) Groundhogs - well, just one that went under the deck until my son, Jason chased it out.
So today & tomorrow, Jason supervised by Miah, will be putting new lattice up around the bottom of the deck.
I'm sure that these critters use to hang out in our yard before but apparently my previous pups (lab, basset, & golden) took the 'live and let live' attitude. :roll: Not so, Miah. :twisted:
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

All of the above and anything that moves! Soph did develop a strong attachment to a pygmy goat that was penned at a park we used to go to... she would tremble with happiness and excitement every time she saw him.

Such a smart girl, I wish she would figure out that Sophie + skunk = bath... she falls for the "skunk kitty" ploy every single time. :roll:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Hi Everyone

Sharon cant bring herself to post about Cheyenne's favorite play critter as she is totaly freaked out when she sees one.

We all spend most weekends at the boat in the west part of Lake Erie. our marina has over 100 acres of land to play in including some great rock walls along the main channel and docks. They are up to 6 foot tall and have a nice slope into the water.
Cheyenne loves to walk along them and go to the edge of the water sniffing and sticking her big head under each rock. Sharon just happend to be holding the leash when Cheyenne decided to show her what lives among the rocks.
She pulled out a nice 5 foot black Lake Erie Water Snake. Of course she had it in the middle and was trying to shake it to death. Sharon did not take to this very well and sort of ran off somewhere Since the black snakes are protected by law I had to run up while I was holding back JR and grab Cheyennes lead and shake her off the poor little snake.

Sharon has not set foot on a rock wall since however Cheyenne wont stop walking on the rocks.

PS last week she dragged in a large turtle for soup.
If only she would catch walleye I could save a lot on tackle.
Take Care
Alan
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

RE: "Which Animal Drives Us Wild!!!"
---

Hearing so much about Chows on ACE, I'll say "veterinarian" : )
chris

Post by chris »

GOOD ONE kiwani.... I second that. :wink:
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

awwww what an underprivledged group here. They chase lizzards and bugs. No other critters here except birds and they stay away, landing only on the wires and the pups could care less. We have a wooden stockade fence so nothing comes in. ~ Haven't seen any snakes thank goodness.
Mufassa had a few run ins with a cat he used to live with. He quickly learned that Chloe ruled the house. Another run in was a surprise as the cat was crated. When the woman set her crate down next to Moose and he smelled the crate it started moving and he just missed the swipe of the cat's paw. He hasn't seen one since.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
jerseyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jerseyp »

Because my dogs walk off-leash daily in wooded parks or trails they all have the desire and oppurtunity to hunt. Although my older chow lab (Nala) chased and hunted he rarely got anything (except skunked about 3 times). Same for my westie (Jasmine).
I can't say the same for chow golden (named Tyrone or Ty by our daughter who goes to WVU after a WVU basketball player) - he is an aivd hunter, very proficient and the most reckless dog I have ever seen. His first animal was a rabbit at about 4 months. I had all three dogs in the wooded park. All three scented , then saw the rabbit. All three split up in different directions and all three came at the rabbit from three different angles. It ended up in the Ty's mouth and he returned it to me unharmed. I made him drop it, and it hopped away unharmed as I held the three dogs with all my strength. Since then it's been downhill with the chow golden.
His conquests and my frustration:
Woodchucks - has gotten 20 or so, only one escaped from him, he was only bitten once (in tight quarter and there's still a little scar). Person who leases land wants him to eradicate woodchucks (they damge the property) but I don't
Deer - loves chasing them more than anything else - makes a crazy yipping sound like he's dying. I first heard it on a dark winter night when he went into deeper woods (I thought he was getting ripped up by coons). Two days later I heard the same sound and a fellow dog walker said he was flying on the heals of a deer. He never caught one and don't know what he'd do if he did.
Beaver - has gotten two - one small one that was quick and one large one that was his most vicious fight. He got bit bad on the paw by that beaver and had two bloody incisor marks. Nala was also bit (but just hair) I couldn't grab him because I had Jassmine and Nala (who were more likely to get torn up by the beaver. In the end the Ty was playing ewith the beaver like cat and mouse - he was letting it crawl near the stream then would drag it back 40 ft. and tear it up just to repeat the process till he ended it. The owner of this land was happy about it (he was fined for dynamiting a beaver damn) but I was not.
Birds - Ty's first swim at about 5 months going after a duckling (to young to fly) and it's mother. He scared the hell out of me swimming about 1/4 to 1/2 mile out in the bay
but he finally turned around and probably happy he has the webbed golden feet. He chases duck and geese but never got one. He tried to chase two huge mean as hell swans but they stared at him and didn't budge. He thought better of it and acted like he was getting a drink of water. (These swans attacked another dog walkers golden retriever).
Squirrels -got a few but they are smart and stay near trees.
Raccoons - treed about 10 but never got one (knock on wood).
He treed a small one in a 20 ft. dead tree and stood up on the tree, then starting shaking it with his front paws like a bear. I quickly leashed him as my wife looked on horrified for the small raccoon with huge, scared eyes.
Rabbits - got four, returned three unharmed (they don't fight so he didn't kill). He killed his first one yesterday (I think he thought it was a woodchuck).
Cats - met two, sniffed them (one for about thiry seconds) and moved on.
People, children, dogs, byciclists, four wheelers - are all safe.
Sorry if it was a long-winded don't think I encourage him - I leash him on scents and try to scare away the critters but in all other manners my dogs listen perfectly - I've never been able to stop their prey drive.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/ ... C00090.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/ ... cture4.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/ ... C00115.jpg http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i270/ ... C00116.jpg