"Why don't WE get to go anywhere?" Benny/Lady

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

jerryo

"Why don't WE get to go anywhere?" Benny/Lady

Post by jerryo »

Benny, Lady and I have been enjoying all the great travel pictures from everyone, but they may be getting curious why they only get to go on a few walks. Or maybe they are just a couple of stay-at-homes now that they have adopted me.

Here they are enjoying the afternoon in our dying front yard. No outside watering is allowed here at present because of repairs to our dam after Hurricane Rita last year. Also because I'm a terrible gardner. At least the dead grass and pine straw match Lady's camoflogue coat.

chris

Post by chris »

amazing.. no fence? They stay there?... they don't wonder off? :-)
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

They sometimes go next door to see George, the cockapoo and Top Dog of the neighborhood. Benny went deer hunting once, and Lady went shopping yesterday with her friend, Sugar, the Lab who lives down the street. Other than that they have been real home bodies. Maybe after living on the streets like they both did before we found each other, home seems like a good place to be. So far they rarely get out of sight of the house.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

Great pictures!

They are both gorgeous and they look to be the best of buddies. I especially like the last pic of them sitting side by side with their backs to the camera, staring off at something in the distance. Kinda sums up the word "companionship" dont ya think? :x
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

They are really beautiful pictures Jerry and I think they illustrate the friendship that has grown between the two of them. They look so content with their lot and I think that is the secret of happiness - to be satisfied with what you have! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

chris wrote:amazing.. no fence? They stay there?... they don't wonder off? :-)
Adult dogs that have been adopted after being abandoned tend to be clingers rather than wanderers. Soph rarely lets me get out of her eyeline.
Plus, its screamin' hot, and they know where the AC is. 8)

Jerry, Lady is a lovely girl, and Benny is handsomer every time we see him. You are going to be quite surprised when his winter coat comes in... you'll have a showdog on your hands!
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
ciaobella
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ciaobella »

Makes a nice avatar. He's a luvvah, not a fightah. :wink:
Sandy
Owned by Sophie
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

They are two HAPPY canines if I ever saw. You did real good. \:D/
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Thanks a billion for all the flattering comments.

I just got back from taking Lady to the vet to get her shots and check-up. She has a minor worming situation, but is otherwise fine.

I could NOT get her in the car without Benny, and he was very unhappy about her going without him. So softheaded person that I am, we all went. He sat in the examination room and watched everything. I think he was more concerned than Lady.

Benny weighed in at 60 pounds versus the 38 pounds when he came from the pound three months ago. Maybe it's time to stop worrying about him not eating.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

They are both so gorgeous!! Great pics!
Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

Wow! Benny must be Jasper's size, and he weighed 38 lbs. before? Yikes. He must have been in sorry shape, because he doesn't look fat now. He looks very healthy and happy. They both do! How darling.

You know, we had the same situation with Loretta and Jasper this morning! I took my husband's truck, and Loretta didn't want to get in because she's only ridden in it a couple of times. Well, once Jasper hopped in, she followed. Maybe there is something calming about Chows to non-chows. She loves him!
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

LucyDog, there is some wierd cosmic connection between Loretta and Jasper and Benny and Lady. They do all the same stuff too often to be coincidence.

Benny was in very poor condition from being chained up, then being a street stray for who knows how long. When I first got him from the pound, you could feel all his backbone and ribs even through a very thick coat. I considered whether to have him clipped short for the summer, but actually a big part of not doing it was that I didn't think I could look at his condition without breaking down.

Benny loves to go for rides. He always gets in back in the car, but wants to be in front if we take the SUV. I've never met a dog who knew the difference between a truck and a car, but maybe Chows do. Lady would NOT get in either one until I agreed to have Benny come along. She obviously trusts him more than she does me, or possibly had a bad experience in vehicles before. She rode all the way to the vet with her head pressed into my chest, shivering. She sat in back with Benny on the way home, and actually went to sleep for awhile.
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

That is so sweet. They both have such beatiful coats and look so happy.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

How precious they both are together.
You are really a great doggie Dad and how wonderful that you have made them so happy and healthy.

Cheyenne came from the pound in December and weighed abou 44 lbs and she was almost 4. Now she is around 60lbs and is so beautiful and happy.

JR and Cheyenne would never be without one another...they always have to be together especially in the car.

It is such a good feeling to know that you can make such a difference in these wonderful creatures lives...isn't it?

Sharon
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Sadly, you don't know what her previous owners put her through, so the car thing might trigger anxiety in her.

On the other hand, something tells me that she's beginning to realize that she will never have that horrible life again!

I'm fully convinced that chows find canine life partners. Rogan and Nina are inseparable and have always looked for each other if one 'disappears'.
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Jerry...
Both Benny and Lady look so happy. What a difference you have made in both of their lives. When you think of what they have both been through and then to look at them in each of those pictures so relaxed and comfortable, without a care on the world, that should tell you that you have done something right. You have been a great furkid dad. :)
Nancy and Tai

Lucydog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lucydog »

I agree - the dog gods obviously matched up our little brindle babies with their Chow buddies. It sounds like their big soft fur is like a security blanket!

I wouldn't be surprised if Lady is at least part Mountain Cur, looking at the shape of her head & muzzle and the way her ears are set. It's a rare breed, but I would think less rare in East Texas than here in Dallas for example. People use them for hunting. People also cross Pit Bulls with Curs or Catahoulas for hog hunting, and she could be the offspring of that.
here is a pic:
http://www.rarebreed.com/breeds/mountai ... n_cur.html

As for the car thing, she probably was just never in a car before. Most people never take their dogs in the car unless to go to the vet, and since the probably never took her to the vet, no car. Loretta used to sit on the floor of the car in a big lump the first few times, and now she loves to go. She does seem afraid of cars driving past, since I am sure she had a few close calls with cars when she was left to run loose, but that doesn't translate into hopping into a turned off car.

Don't be surprised if you find a feral pig carcass in your yard someday!
Because owning just one banned breed isn't enough!
-- Rest In Peace Jasper the Chow Chow & Lucy the Pit Bull.
Dallas Pet Laws Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-2924-Dallas-Pet-Laws-Examiner
pannw1267
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pannw1267 »

Great pics! Benny looks so much like Miah. Miah was a rescue from Georgia. I showed her his picture as a goal to strive for.8-} I don't think she'll ever turn her 36 lbs to 60 though. I saw your post on hair darkening. The same thing is happening to her. Enjoy the Holiday! **==
Patti & Jim, Max & Miah Image
jerryo

Post by jerryo »

Having just done the bit with the deer front end, I'll happily forego the feral pig carcass, thank you all the same. Now that you mention it, I'haven't seen any pigs around here, just deer, rabbits, racoons, armadillos and turtles. Nick, Sugar's human boy, says there are alligators, but I haven't seen any. And that's OK by me. I'm still a recovering city boy.

I asked the vet about Lady's ancestery, but he didn't have any firm ideas either. I'm guessing a mix of Pit and possibly Black Mouth Cur from the markings on her face and muzzle. One of her old neighbors said the druggies were planning to breed her and sell the puppies to pay him some money they had borrowed. (He offered to take the dog instead.) So they must have had some use in mind, like being a hog-dog. I'm guessing the Pit Bull component from the head shape. What do you guys think?
willowchow
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by willowchow »

Great pictures, they are both great looking. :D