Can I breed my senior 12 yr. Chow?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

SuFi Jen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Can I breed my senior 12 yr. Chow?

Post by SuFi Jen »

I know nothing about breeding, but i want to keep him forever, is breeding him at all a real option ?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I don't know a lot about breeding but I would suggest that to breed healthy puppies you have to start with two healthy, well formed parents who are free from conditions like hip displasia etc.
Also, one must ask the question - where are you going to find an owner of a female chow who is willing to let you mate your male?
Then, one must also ask - What do you intend to do with the remainder of the litter?
I would further suggest that perhaps it might be a good thing to enjoy your boy whilst he is alive - he is unique - he is himself and you have no guarantee that to breed him to a bitch somewhere, is going to give him a son who is his identical replacement because you can bet your bottom dollar he won't be! What you would seem to want is a clone of your boy and that is unethical!
In other words, I am suggesting that you think carefully about the question you have asked.
Love him and thank heaven for him and when his time comes, let him go and then get another chow who will in turn be himself/herself and take his/her place in your heart.
I have owned and loved many dogs throughout the years and each one is unique and brought his/her own special memories. I can still laugh or cry about memories of what Jen-Jen did, or Polly or Rupert or Megs or Lizzie or any one of them! My Milly and Mabel who are my own precious girls at this time in my life, are litter sisters and almost identical but their natures are not the same - they each have different attitudes, habits, foibles - no other chow bitch in the future would be another Milly or another Mabel.
I understand what you are trying to say (I think) because I love M & M with all my heart but I know I cannot have them forever so I enjoy their love and in turn give them all the love possible whilst they are here with me. When each goes off to The Happy Hunting Ground, I will weep and I will remember them and then get another! I will then love and look after that new chow and remember with gratitude my precious Milly and my precious Mabel.
Your boy is getting on now and I suspect you are dreading his eventual departure. This is natural and I feel for you. Is it not possible for you to get another chow, firstly as a companion for him and then, when he is gone for you?
I wish I could say to you the words to help. :)
All good wishes. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I think your Chow might be to old to breed, the Chow breeders in here can answer that but I think even if you do breed him you still won't get an exact copy, your Chow has alot of history behind him and that's what makes him special, you may get a look alike from breeding but as far as an exact copy I don't think so.
From reading this forum for the past 7 years these Chows all sound alike, no matter what the story about the Chows is, most of the other Chows have the same behavior. I know your Chow is special like all our Chows are to us but if you were to adopt another Chow the New Chow will still have alot of those special qualities that all Chows have.

Another option but its extremely expensive is to have your Chow cloned, Don't laugh many people are having this done to thier pets, (I have thought about this one myself) If you do a search on the net there are a few labs that do pet cloning but even with the cloning you may have an exact look alike but it still won't have the history your Chow has had so will most likely be different in behavior.
I know what your feeling about your Chow getting old, I think most of us think about that every day, my Chow just turned nine so I know i do.
carolyn dewrance
Rank 3
Rank 3

12YROLD CHOW

Post by carolyn dewrance »

No it is not advisable, numberone his sperm at that age will most probably be non existant, and then he most probly would not manage with out doing artificial insemination as most chcows are very difficult to get it right on their own, I suggest you take him to the Vet and have a sperm count done,
first to see if he has any, then have his heart checked in case he has a heart aattack while attempting to mate a bitch, remember he is really old now and Chows dont live much longer then 12 years. Anyway good luck.
Carolyn
Carolyn Dewrance
4 Fernwood Close
Richwood
Cape Town 7441