New one... "clicking?"

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chris

New one... "clicking?"

Post by chris »

Ok, anyone elses chow do this...???

When Steel is smelling something interesting he makes this clicking noise.. at first I thought he was licking what ever he was smelling but he isn't. It's almost like a fast "licking his chops" sound.

Example: I had put some lotion on my legs and he came up to me and was smelling the back of my knee, started making that noise.. then licked my leg. /:) then walked away.
Roxana
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Roxana »

LOL

Uhhhh...let me think now.... Nope! Cant say that Dakota makes any "clicking" noises. And as for sniffing & licking your leg, maybe Steel heard about Benny's venison feast and wanted to see what your leg tastes like...and then thought better of it :roll:
chris

Post by chris »

:shock: doughhh...
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

My dearly departed GSD, Morticia used to have a clicking sound in her nose when she sniffed something. I always attributed it to stuffed sinuses. :lol:

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

When I put cream on, Rogan walks over, sniffs, snorts and licks. But no clicking. :-?
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Re: "When Steel is smelling something interesting he makes this clicking noise.. at first I thought he was licking what ever he was smelling but he isn't. It's almost like a fast "licking his chops" sound."
---

The only times I've seen that behavior, it involved wounds or infection-odor. The sound is similar to that of a tongue clicking the roof of the mouth, as if studying the odor by taste.
chris

Post by chris »

Thats it... like he clicks his tounge on the roof of his mouth...
ngraham
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ngraham »

Koda sniffs and licks my legs (and feet) after I have put lotion on too... can't say that he clicks tho. What is it with these guys and the lotion????? Miss Molly could care less.
Nancy and Tai

Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Roxanna,

How funny....I like your humor!!!

JR would much rather lick drops of water off your legs after a shower...no sissy lotions for him...but I don't think he clicks. He squeaks a lot!
The noises that come out of Cheyenne's mouth are unreal...like nothing that I have ever heard before!
Sharon
TiVo's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TiVo's Mom »

So fr I haven't noticed TiVo clicking, but is it just my imagination or do chow's make a wider variety of sounds that other dogs? I have a shepherd mix that makes the normal dog noises and we had a mal that was pretty quiet unless he wanted to drive home a point then he would howl.

Also, for a puppy it seems like TiVo's hearing is very acute. I don't remember any of our others dogs at this age picking up on distant sounds or soft strange sounds and reacting to them by barking.
kiwani
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by kiwani »

Kiwani wrote: "The sound is similar to that of a tongue clicking the roof of the mouth, as if studying the odor by taste."
---

Here's a more detailed version:

Excerpts:

"Dogs also have a vomeronasal organ in the roof of their mouths which allows them to "taste" certain smells.  This organ transmits information directly to the part of the brain known as the limbic system, which controls emotional responses." http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Courses/anp ... field2.htm

"The vomeronasal organ (VNO), also called Jacobson's organ, is an especially sensitive part of a dog's sense of smell. Found on the roof of the mouth, the VNO is comprised of a pair of small, cigar-shaped, fluid-filled sacs. These sacs are filled with receptor cells that are sensitive to chemicals that may not have an odor, such as pheromones. Dogs access the organ by licking or snapping the air, drawing chemicals into the mouth.

Once the receptor cells in the nose pick up scent molecules, messages are fired off to the brain. Once this information reaches the brain, the brain has to identify it as a scent and then determine its significance."

http://www.proplan.com/sportingdog/arti ... Smell.aspx
chris

Post by chris »

WOW, that is not only very interesting but cool. Thanks so much Kiwani... :-)
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

That is very cool, isn't it? I think dogs/Chows are such fascinating/interesting creatures. I'm always learning new interesting bits of information like this. :) I'll have to listen closer when my two are "inspecting" things.
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

Beatle does that when he smells one of the girls and he likes what he smells. Our male pit did it too.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
katt143143
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katt143143 »

i had a cat that did that but never a dog
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

Chris,
you won't believe this but Alan was rubbing Cheyenne's belly the other day and she started to "click".
Now everytime she gets her tummy and ears rubbed she clicks and clicks ...and really loudly too.
It is just too cute and she is so happy!

Sharon
Jeff&Peks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Jeff&Peks »

I had a drafting teacher that use to click when he talked but Pekoe hasn't clicked yet.