new baby and my old babies

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

new baby and my old babies

Post by KathrynH »

Hey all! I don't know if any of y'all remember me, it's been a LONG time since I have posted! I lurk though, and like to keep up with everything. Anyway, I just had a precious baby girl last week, and her name is Emma Grace. I was just wondering if there is anything to do to make everything easier for Buddha. The first day he was anxious, and whining. Now he does pretty good, as long as she's quiet but as soon as she starts making noise his tail goes down, and he gets anxious again. He just seems completely perplexed by this new little addition! Anyone have any experience with this? I'm know he'll be fine eventually, and I foresee a perfect guard and playmate for her, as he doesn't seem too fazed by her sudden movements.
Thanks so much sweetpea!!!
kingalls

Re: new baby and my old babies

Post by kingalls »

8) Congratulations to you and your family for your new baby!!
I think there are older posts about how you could share your new baby's smell with Buddha to help him understand and accept the new human in his family.
Any pictures to share of Emma and/or Buddha? :)
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

Hello Kathrynh
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter
I had a chow (Mao) was the time of the birth of my daughter.
I believe from experience that a transfer of odor and later falling nouriture the baby will help.
At the birth of my daughter I have often
in Mao's bed, layers of my daughter after having removed all the residuals ...., clothes of my daughter ...
After a while ... Mao not sleep in our room but the bedroom door of my daughter ....
Around the age of one year my daughter shared her meals with Mao by falling nouriture ...
Around 1 ½ years Mao was the taxi my girl ... and yes my daughter took the hair of Mao and he moved into the house .......

Buddha in the conclusion to a lot of clothes worn by your daughter ... and monitor and analyze the behavior of your dog.
a +
I have more experience on the topic to share ...
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Thanks so much for your replies :) I will post pictures as soon as I can get them resized, I always have trouble with that part LOL We did bring a blanket home from the hospital a few days before Emma and I were discharged, for the dogs to smell, and we let Buddha smell her as much as he wants. I think he is beginning to understand a little more,I just hate to see him so anxious LOL
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Congratulations. He will get used to the baby and will know she is part of his family. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Here are some pictures of Emma, I'll have to take some more recent pictures of Buddha, sorry :)
Attachments
Emma2.jpg
Emma2.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 5081 times
gumbychow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gumbychow »

hello Kathrynh
Again congratulations for this beautiful girl.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Congratulations on your new beautiful baby girl. I have no experiance with little ones and chows but I wonder if Buddha gets anxiuos when Emma cries because he knows that means she wants something.

The reason I suggest this is because when our cell phones get topped up at night they bleep, Henry goes mad getting our attention until we turn them off, he knows that, that noise means we have to do something.
Thank you Sweatpea
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

You know, that makes sense. We babysat a little boy not long ago who cried for 2 hours and Buddha reacted the same way.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Beautiful little girl.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Congratulations, Kathryn! It's so good to hear from you. You're daughter is beautiful...so much hair! I hope Buddah will soon be adjusted to the new addition!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
KathrynH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KathrynH »

Thanks everyone :) She is so precious and beautiful :) I have noticed Buddha slowly starting to relax more and more around her, so that's good!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Excellent! I think one of the tricks is to keep calm and in control yourself.

When our Milly and Mabel were about 12 months old, or so, our nephew and his wife brought their new baby to see us. She was only a few days old. Diana was wonderful with M & M - she let them sniff the baby and she took of the little socks she had on and let them lick her feet. Every time they came she did the same and by the time little Lesley Anne was crawling she would just plonk her down on the carpet and they were wonderful with her. :D

On the other had, our other nephew's wife was so fussy and would not let them near her baby. Her call of course but they pestered and pestered but never got even a sniff. Funny though, Conrad absolutely loves them now - he is 6 - of course Milly is gone but he loves Mabel and the "Two Squirts", Maisie and Matilda and they love him. :lol:
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Congratulations, beautiful baby girl. When I had Haley, I had a 6 year old Boxer named Bud. I also had a Cesarean, and more than once poor Bud paced between the squealing bundle and me, as I slowly made my way to pick her up. I always let Bud smell her and see her. He quickly became her nanny-dog. She nearly blinded him at 3 months when she poked him dead in the eye. He shuddered and flinched, but was never aggressive. Give Buddha a little time. He will know Emma is his precious too in no time at all, just from watching you.