General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

sneezing chow

Post by Hugo »

Hi,
Hope you are all well and happy. I haven't posted in ages, life got in the way. Anyway, 9/10 times when I roll my chow over for tumming grooming, he gets the sneezes and doesnt want to stay on his side too long. We are not in the sun at the time. Does anyone else have this happen?
Thanks
Michelle and Hugo.
ps it has always been like this.
chan7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: sneezing chow

Post by chan7 »

Chan does once in awhile, when Ann or I roll him over for his always indoor 'belly rub'-kinda an attention getter (his part!!!)
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Yes, yes, yes! I scratch her back and she lays down. Before long sneezes and gets up. :D LEO also often sneezes right after leaving the house on her twice daily walks, too. Silly chow chow.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Thanks, I'm glad it's normal then.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, it is normal, but not exactly a sign of health for them. It is because of their shorter snouts, they actually have slight respiratory problems when on their backs or sides. It's one of the reasons why so called dominance rolls should never be used on a chow. If you try and hold them to their backs or sides after they start to sneeze, they will panic because they can't breathe right.

Just an FYI on why they sneeze.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
littlelion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by littlelion »

MY vet told me to do dominance rolls as often as possible to my chow to show him that I am the boss. Lion sneezes if he lays there too long....but he will keep laying there until i stop petting him.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry always sneezes when he's upside down, even if he's been sleeping. :lol:
Thank you Sweatpea
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

littlelion wrote:MY vet told me to do dominance rolls as often as possible to my chow to show him that I am the boss. Lion sneezes if he lays there too long....but he will keep laying there until i stop petting him.
Lion is a puppy and will tolerate it more because of his being a puppy. An adult chow won't tolerate it as much, and like I said WILL panic if forced to stay on his back when he/she needs to be up right. Your vet is dead on WRONG, never ever dominace roll a chow. And um, rolling him on his back and petting him isn't a dominance roll anyway. You're just petting him while he's on his back and some chows love that. You should never have to use any physical means to show your chow who is boss. Your voice and attitude should be enough, with timeouts for the puppy.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Both my dogs will sneeze if left on there backs to long :) normal as far as I'm concerned :)
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Most dogs of any breed sneeze when upside down. My long muzzled dogs did it too. My worst sneezer was my Boxer Bud, who sneezed regardless of position- and slap his face on the floor as part of the sneeze! Looked painful, but ol' Bud paid it no mind at all....and Victory is right- alpha roll is old (incorrect) school.