Lazy Chow

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sukie435
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lazy Chow

Post by sukie435 »

I have a 4 year old Chow that will not be stimulated at all. All she wants to do all day is sleep. We try stimulating her & nothing seems to work. Once in a while she will play with her rope toy & then after about 5 mins she ignores it. That is the only toy she will even show a remote interest in. No interest in any other toys whatsoever. We've gotten her to roll over & give paws, which I am amazed that she would even do. I have been taking her on very short walks about 5 mins because she walks so slow, it gets to the point where I practically have to drag her back to the house. (It doesn't help that we live in the desert) But when the weather cools down she has more endurance, but a walk around the block seems too long for her as well. Sometimes she gets a burst of energy & will run around the house a little but as soon as you start playing with her, she pretty much sits down & it doesn't go very far the playing. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated. I feel so bad for her since she is an only dog & at this point getting another pet to keep her company is not an option. Thanks for any suggestions. :cry:
littlelion
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Lazy Chow

Post by littlelion »

Is your chow sick? It doesn't sound normal. Did you take her to the vet? On the side note, I wish my chow rested more....
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

I'll trade you an Austrailian shepard that's hyper. All of my chows, except my 4 month old puppy, have been carpet potatos. Since the wife and I both work, sleeping works great.
sukie435
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sukie435 »

No, she is definitely not sick. That is just the way she is, very lazy!!! I have never seen a dog this lazy before in my life. The vet has checked her out, did blood work to see if she had a problem with her thyroid & everything came back ok. He said that is just the way she is. I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions to possibly get her motivated.
august-ewok
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by august-ewok »

As a general rule Chow Chow's are not very active indoors hence they make good pets even in apartments. My personal experience with my own was that he lost interest in toys soon after he turned three years of age, liked to rest when in the house but loved to take walks. The only play he loved was tug-of-war and being chased around. You might want to try the chasing game indoors.

Since you live in the desert, get a neck ice pack (it is a wide collar with gel inside that you can put in the freezer then take out and put it on her) to put on when taking a walk. I also might suggest you use a retractable leash since Chow Chow's are independent and like to roam about. This may induce your Chow to enjoy walking more. Hope this helps.