Moderator: chowadmin

TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ain't Hungry ?

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Hello

So, she (Sheba) doesn't eat that much..
I mix warm water with dog food so that it could become soft.
And I put as much as food as required..
She did met alot of PPL today, maybe its because of that?

TheRoboDuck
kingalls

Re: Ain't Hungry ?

Post by kingalls »

My two have never been big eaters...I don't think most chows are big eaters...
When do we get to see pictures of Sheba?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Did Sheba like it at any point with water mixed? Mine doesn't like it soggy at all. I tried when she was little to give it moist but if it got too wet she turned her nose up. Then I just gave it to her dry and she did fine with it dry so I stopped putting water in. She is a funny eater, she won't eat her food usually until she knows we're home for a while so she can go potty. We put food down at 7am and sometimes she won't eat it till 9pm. And its never all at once she walks away from her bowl and checks on us to make sure we're still there. Both my chows were not very excited about eating like other dogs I've had. They were both very polite eaters. No gobbling down and choking.
TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Thanks 4 the help,

So I shouldn't worry that much ?
Well here they are..

TheRoboDuck
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

So cute!!!!!!!!!!!
My 2 month, now 3 month eats like a horse! I try to feed per the package but he's just so intense on wanting more.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I wish Nikki ate like a horse.. but its more like a cat.. Anyway Sheba is adorable and Iam sure her eating habits will improve maybe she's just more interested in new things right now and food in a bowl isn't one of them. .
TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Sheba thanks you,

She just got 3 months old..
Shes about 9 kilograms..
She just came to my house and misses her parents/brother/sisters..
I feed her @ 08:00, 14:30, 20:30 and I'm just wondering is that ok?
Your approval will let me sleep better..

TheRoboDuck
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

I feed 3 time a days and treat inbetween!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Is Sheba eating or drinking at all?? If she's not I'd be concerned. To me any noticeable change in their normal habits I would probably call my vet to make sure since shes so young.. If its just she doesn't like her kibbles wet and will eat other foods and everything else is normal it might be she's getting picky. If you're able to call the vet and explain it to them and let them tell you if its something to be concerned about?? They may suggest even a different food.. better to be safe if you're worried.
TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Shes fine now,
Thanks 4 the concerns

RoboDuck
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, good glad to hear it..
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

Good to hear that she is fine! I feed Skye three times a day as well. Such cute photos! :)
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Henry went through a stage of not eating, I free feed now, he comes and tells me if his bowl is empty, checks to make sure I've filled it up properly and then leaves it until he wants more.
Thank you Sweatpea
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

Shes a sweetie :D
Very cute pics!
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Feeding 3 a day right now is very good, you can go to 2 a day at 6-8 months. Of course you can free feed too, but only with completely dry food, (if it's wet or wet food it doesn't last as long in the bowl) Both mine free feed, I give them their daily amount in the morning and fresh water, then check when I come home and again before bed to make sure they have water and a bit of food, it they have scarfed it all up, (happens rarely) I'll give them a bit before bed.

All chows I've noticed never eat as much as the recommended amount on the bags, I've never had one that ate over 2.5 cups and the one that did weighed 73lbs.

I would also recommend not wetting her food, the nice dry hard crunchy food is good for her teeth and at her age will help build the muscles in her jaws as they should be. Make sure the bits are small for a puppy and she'll do fine with it. In the summer most chows eat less because they are less active, her appeitite will pick up a bit in the fall and winter.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

My 3 year-old Loha, who I have had since he was 8 weeks old, has always had a full bowl of dry kibble available to him for eating. He decides when and how much to eat. He normally will eat some in the very middle of the night. When I first got him I would add in a couple of spoonfulls of wet (canned) dog food in the morning but have not done that in over a year.

Loha's Dad
Photo-0110.jpg
Photo-0110.jpg (12.27 KiB) Viewed 7498 times
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Awesome!

Don't worry about the eating. When they are hungry they consume what they need and ask for more if necessary, and when they are not they just ignore the stuff like it's Plutonium!!!!

In our sig below, FengHuang (girl) is 56lbs of massive muscle and only eats between 2 and 2.5 cups a day. She also has a bi-weekly cycle where she will not each much and then within a couple days she consumes everything and more, even her brothers, sometimes. ShenLung (boy) is massive on all counts. At 76 lbs of muscle mass and still filling out he eats about 3 cups a day. However he can be fussy and not eat morning or night on a regular basis. Some days he just picks at it. Then he'll eat a huge amount to make up for it and ask for more. (Won't touch his sisters though, not unless he's decided to commit suicide.) Note: our fur kids are very active, run a lot in the ravines, daily 9mths of the year for 1-1.5hrs at a time and once every 2 days in the really hot summer muggy weather, chasing squirrels, chippies, birds and rabbits! Like most predators they spend a large amount of time napping and building up explosive energy.

FengHuang also likes to eat 3 times a day, ShenLung 2 times at least generally. Both are 3yrs old in October.

Hope this is some help, even though each has specific nuances to themselves.
TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Thanks for youre anserws..
I havent been around lately..
But Sheba is fine, she's growing like a... well she's growing fast !!

TehRoboDucklinz
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Nice to hear from you. It would be nice to see updated photos of Sheba too. She'd be about 6 months now right?
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
TheRoboDuck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheRoboDuck »

Damn, sorry, its been a long time since i've been here ..

gotta work on those pictures though ..

TheRoboDuck