General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Stefanie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Relocating to Germany - looking for tips for flying

Post by Stefanie »

Hi everyone,

Sabre and I are relocating to Germany. I already picked an airline (Lufthansa, they have an air conditioned cargo department), got the crate and started the training.

Does anyone have any tips, what to do to prepare him for the day of the flight? He is a pretty calm dog and he travels very well in the car, however he has never traveled in a crate.
I know you are not allowed to sedate pets due to risk of injury but what about calming drops? I found something at Dr. Foster & Smith that supposedly "mimics the pheromone the mother dog produces as she is nursing her pups. When your puppy or dog senses this pheromone, even later in life, he is brought back to his peaceful nursing days." Has anyone ever used calming sprays, colors or something like that successfully? Or would you even bother with something like that?

What do you suggest to put in the crate? The airline requires a water bottle. Other than that I figured an absorbent pad, his favorite toy and maybe on old worn tshirt of mine that smells like me.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated! I am quite nervous about the whole thing but leaving him here is really not a choice...
Thank you Sweetpea!
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Relocating to Germany - looking for tips for flying

Post by FNG »

Please see the 7th post to my question on the 5th post about travel.
It is not a trans-Atlantic flight but still,I think, about 4-5 hours long.

http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 30#p171234
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I sent a PM to an old member who took their Chow to Germany a few years ago. Sadly, she lost her Chow early this year and does not come here often, though many people maintain an e-mail notifier for messages. Maybe Angie did, too..
Stefanie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stefanie »

@ FNG: Thank you, I looked at the post and sent her a pm
@Auddymay: Thank you!
Thank you Sweetpea!
Kurosbuddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kurosbuddy »

Hi Stefanie,
Two years ago I moved from California to the UK with my chow, Kuro. If you're prepared, it is much less stressful than you'd think. In fact, Kuro has made 5 transatlantic trips!

Calming drops would be ok, but I would clear them with the vet and see how your chow responds to them well in advance. Also, most airlines will not allow toys, bones, clothes etc to travel in the crate with the dog. I have always flow Virgin Atlantic with my chow, and he is not even allowed a collar during the flight. I was told by airline staff that on most wide-body planes such as the 747 and 777, the area where pets are kept is way in the back of the plane, as far away from engine noise as is possible, and that they are only loaded on the plane just before takeoff to avoid them spending extra time in the hold while the plane is on the ground. Some airlines/airports are much better than others. I have found Virgin Atlantic to be wonderful. Also, on the UK side of the trip, the whole process is overseen by animal welfare officers. Last year, our flight was delayed for a security problem at the last minute. Everyone was offloaded and we sat in the airport for several hours. During this time, animal welfare officers came to the plane, checked on Kuro and then offloaded him and took him back to the kennels at the animal welfare center. They were concerned that they delay + flight time would mean he would be in his crate too long. They kept me informed and really looked after kuro. On the US side, it is the exact opposite. US law prohibits ANYONE from opening a crate from the time the animal is checked in until customs paperwork has been taken care of on the other end. This past winter, there was a major hold up with US Customs and Kuro was forced to spend an additional 6 hours in his crate in a cargo warehouse. Airline staff were wonderful and they eventually brought the crate into their offices, provided water etc., but they were barred by law from letting him out of his crate (technically, I was not allowed to see him either, but they were happy to let me check on him). It was VERY stressful. If I had known about these policies in advance, I would have been better prepared and would have sent somebody from my family to the warehouse sooner to check on him and deal with the problem. Moral of the story: know the rules and get a handle on the situation on the ground in both countries BEFORE you travel!

Hope this helps and good luck with your move!

Katie
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Hi Stefanie!
Wo genau in Deutschland ziehst du denn hin?
Stefanie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Stefanie »

Thanks @ everyone for the tips. I am happy to report that Sabre made it through the flight ok and jumped out of the kennel happy as can be \:D/
we've been in Germany for a week now and he seems to like it here a lot. He's enjoying walks across the fields that are all around and the cooler weather. Plus that he has his "grandma" here so he's happy.
Thank you Sweetpea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Stefani

So glad you all made it safely.. and enjoying your new surroundings.. Nikki flew just once and I know how you hope for the best as far as weather, timing, stress.. Glad it all worked out for you and Iam sure "G.Mom" is glad to have you there too...