General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AngelaS
Rank 0
Rank 0

Invisible Fence

Post by AngelaS »

Hello!

I have been a regular visitor to this forum for at least 5 years. I have a 6 year old Chow named Gabriel. I have not posted in a very long time, but have enjoyed reading tips and posts from other Chow owners. I have a situation that I think only other Chow parents can understand and hope to get some feedback.

Five months ago I adopted a new yorkie from a shelter, Wilson is his name. He was 5 months old at the time and had no training of any sort. He stole my heart though and he has progressed nicely and is a nice companion for Gabe. We have lived in our current home for three years and Gabe has been very good about knowing his boundries and staying in the yard, mostly. One month ago we had an invisible fence installed for the new little guy because he is a much more difficult pup to train, in every way. We did not put Gabe on the fence.
In the last three weeks Gabe has twice chased a chipmunk over into our neighbors yard. They have two horrid little Beagles who are very dog aggressive. Gabe is not aggressive, more aloof than anything. The beagles immediately attacked Gabe. He does this strange thing, once they start coming for him, he sits down. ??? Then I have to go over and try to retrieve him, but every time he stands up they increase their attacks. It's really horrid and I have to kick at them and yell. The first time all went fine, this last time while defending himself from the monsters, he hurt one of the dogs and it had to have a few stitches, which I paid half and told the owners I would put Gabe on the invisible fence to avoid further incidents. They know he is not aggressive and knows his yard, but I can't have this happening on someone elses property. So, I purchased an invisible fence collar for him and forutnately still have the flags up in the yard. We started training yesterday and I am sure it will go fine eventually.
Here's the problem only Chow owners will understand. Gabe is VERY finicky about his potty habits. He will only use the very edge of the front yard or the very edge of the back yard. Both of those areas are now off limits with the fence since the flags are well back from the edge. He hasn't gone # 2 since we started training (24 hours ago) and he is confused why he's on the leash and not allowed to go to his potty area. Has anyone had any experience with changing their Chows bathroom habits or have any tips on the best way to handle it. I don't want him to be uncomfortable and I know he will hold it for a very long time. He does that when we go anywhere strange - just won't go....Thanks for any help.
Mountaindogs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Invisible Fence

Post by Mountaindogs »

Hi AngelaS,
We had a similar situation when we first put our chows on the invisible fence. They had their place to go in the yard and that area was outside of the newly fenced in area. We just kept taking them to another area and telling them to to "do your business" which was the language we use. They both eventually took to it and found a new space in that area of the yard. I can appreciate how finicky these creatures are about their toileting area. They are quite funny. For the most part we have had very good luck with our invisible fence. We had one incident about 1 year into it that our two pups (about 2 years old) got out. The female got hit by a car and killed. I now do not leave Smokey and our new chow Echo in the yard by themselves. I am very cautious about it. Echo is just learning how to use the fence. She is sharp and has already learned the boundaries. Good luck with the training.

Donna
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Can you please explain to me what an Invisible Fence is - I am afraid I do not understand! :oops:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

Judy,
it is really common here in the states for dog owners to get this "invisible fence" installed. it is a wire that is installed underground creating a perimeter. the dog then wears a collar around its neck and when it attempts to cross the wire the dogs gets a small electrical charge (only scares them, does not hurt the,) During the training period white flags are placed every 8' or so where the wire is. The dogs eventually begins to associate the flags and the area with this jolt and will stay clear of the line. The dogs then stay within the perimeter created by the wire.

I know people who keep the collar on thier dogs forever and i also know people that do not use the collar because thier dogs never attempt to cross the line anymore. It can be quite effective, although i have dogs OBSESSED with wildlife and a squirrel in the neighbors yard is just too tempting...our 5' REAL fence is barely enough to keep them contained. :)

And for the advice...eventually Gabe WILL go, he will have to, and once he doe he will probably designate a new area as his "potty". Good luck!
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you very much for your explanation. I have never heard of that before.
Mmm! I do wonder if that would keep the baby M's in - Matilda especially is obsessed with what is going on in the big world outside her real fence!! :lol:
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

Please never use one of these things! It MAY train your dog to stay in your yard, it MAY not. Iv'e seen dogs run right through them. The real problem is not with your dog. Your dog now becomes VERY protective of its domain. So what happens when another animal enters your dogs domain? It fights to protect it. What happens when a young child, not being watched by its neglectful parents, enters your dogs domain to pat the cute little teady bear of a dog? Your dog now defends its domain and you have a law suit on your hands and a quarantine vet bill and fines and fees by the city because you let your mean feroucous monster of a dog mutalate their precous inocent child. You have also put another, un-deserved, black mark on the reputation of our wonderful breed.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

katman wrote:Please never use one of these things! It MAY train your dog to stay in your yard, it MAY not. Iv'e seen dogs run right through them. The real problem is not with your dog. Your dog now becomes VERY protective of its domain. So what happens when another animal enters your dogs domain? It fights to protect it. What happens when a young child, not being watched by its neglectful parents, enters your dogs domain to pat the cute little teady bear of a dog? Your dog now defends its domain and you have a law suit on your hands and a quarantine vet bill and fines and fees by the city because you let your mean feroucous monster of a dog mutalate their precous inocent child. You have also put another, un-deserved, black mark on the reputation of our wonderful breed.
I have to agree. And the problem is with chows being as stuborn as they are, they are one of the breeds who WILL ignore the slight charge to do what they want. And as Katman says it doesn't work if another animal or child enters the yard. Frankly, I think this whole, no fence thing is rediculous, a nice solid wooden or brick fence is much better, (chain-link only if it is firmly footed with concrete, same for wooden fences, chows are diggers, or should I say excavators with those big feet of theirs they can dig a tunnel out in no time). We've become somewhat obessed I think with being open minded about things and that is also apparent with the fence issue. Solid fences are much better for dogs, keeps them in, keeps others out.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but I would have to agree with the 'solid' fence. Our property is outside the city limits & only had restictions on the type/size of house. We had the property surveyed; then had the fence company put the fence 1 foot inside the line. We have chain link with deep concreted posts and the wire that goes around the bottom (keeps the fence from bending upward so they have to dig a hole almost as big as they are before they can escape). I only wish I had thought about having a concrete foundaton poured under the fence (easier to trim).

It may seem like a lot of trouble and expensive but you cannot put a value on a life. And the fence saved our chows more than once 'cause I caught my neighbors grandkid poking a stick thru the fence at our chows one day...there is no telling how many times the kid had done it when were werent around. If that fence had been the 'invisible' kind, the kid would have been in the hospital (no dog, chow or otherwise will put up with that). You may have to do a little research to determine what kind of fence you can build in your area but you wll be glad you did...I was.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes. I agree with you Bellachow.

Regarding children poking things through fences at dogs, a couple of months ago I actually called the police when we had persistent trouble with a small group of children.

Fortunately, the police took me seriously and I could tell them where the children lived - indeed the actual house number of one of them.

Anyway, they sorted it out and we have had no trouble since, thank goodness. I did not want my sweet puppies' tempers soured.

When the Police came round to see us after they had been to see the children and their parents I asked them what would happen if the children had put their hands through the fence and were bitten. They told me that it would have been the children's own fault. That did worry me because I would have gone berserk if my girls had been carted off because some miserable little b****** had taunted them.

We have had no trouble since except one girl who just kept riding up and down in front of our house on a little scooter thing. We just told her to "Hop-it"!

The nowty little jiggers just think it is funny to tease. We have never had it before except once years ago when Milly and Mabel were younger. We heard them barking which they hardly ever did. When we went round to see what was going on there was a woman with a girl of about 8 in a wheelchair. She had wheeled the chair right up to our fence and the girl was poking her crutches through at M & M - at the same time, an older girl of about 14 was jumping up and down and going "Aaargh! Aargh! through the fence at them. I screamed at them and Fred told them to - " get the hell out of the avenue and if he ever saw them again in the avenue he would ....................!" :roll: :shock: Never saw them again! =D=

So I think a solid fence is best.