Hi from Khana in Alaska

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Hi from Khana in Alaska

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Since I posted in the rescue forum, I figured I should pop in here and say "hi" to everyone. I don't come here often anymore (been more than three months since I have been here even to read!) but wanted to touch base with you guys. The rescue posting I made was sent to me from someone at a German shepherd forum, who had come across it and knew I had chows. Hopefully someone will connect with those two chow guys, although I know how slim the chances are.

Khana is doing well. She's still working as my Service Dog and doing a wonderful job at it. It still amazes me how eager she is to help me .. I love her enthusiastic little pounce and grunt when I ask her to bring me my shoes or sweats .. *L* .. of course, she is paid well too! Yummy Chummies are her favorite!

I lost Dora in March. My sister asked me to housesit for her when she went to Hawaii. I agreed too, although I didn't want to (they had a new rescue dog - a weimeraner - who couldn't be left alone). So I packed up everything and went to her place. The day before she returned, I was outside playing with the four dogs (Khana, Dora, my shepherd Tazer, and the weim) and a moose came from behind the house and attacked us. Dora was sniffing along the edge of the woods, minding her own business (paying NO attention to the moose) and the moose ran into the woods, circled around and attacked her. I was helpless to stop it. The moose struck her with both front feet, hitting her just behind the head and knocking her down. She yelped once and then struggled to get up, managing to get into a sit but struggling to move her hind end. I called to her ... "Dora, you stay there, honey .. just sit, stay, I'll be there ..." .. She stopped struggling and just held still, watching me and waiting. I couldn't get the moose to back off, it kept coming at me. Finally it went into the woods a bit and I was able to get to Dora, picking her up and trying to hurry back to the house before the moose came back. Her hind end hung limply. I knew it was really bad, but all I could do was get to the van as quickly as possible. I laid her down on the ground to open the door, and she didn't even lift her head. I got her into the van, on a blanket, telling her what a good girl she was and how much I loved her, and then ran to get my cell phone and call the vet. Of course it was a Sunday night. The vet agreed to start in and to meet me at the clinic. I went back to the van and Dora was gasping at that point. I knew she wouldn't make it. I kept petting her and telling her how good she was and that I loved her. I headed to the vet but by the time I got there Dora had died. She was 12 years old. RIP my lovely Dora (Eldorado's the Midnight Sun, NA NAJ CGC plus 1/3 CD and 5 conformation points).

I found out later that a neighbor of my sister's had been feeding this moose and that's why it acted so fearlessly and aggressively. Wild animals who are fed tend to become overly aggressive as they learn to expect food from humans. The moose came back several times and my sister had the troopers and Fish and Wildlife out. Unfortunately they didn't kill the moose, just used cracker shells to scare it away. The neighbor who fed the moose got a $300 fine. That doesn't begin to atone for Dora's death.

My sister thinks that Dora died in order to show the danger, so that my sister's kids could be kept safe (no one EXPECTS a moose to come into a yard and attack - that's abnormal behavior). This moose came looking for us - into a yard with FOUR dogs who were playing and barking and having a good time. No normal moose comes to where dogs are barking. And the one dog that paid NO attention to the moose - Tazer and Khana and the weim all barked at it - was the one that got attacked. It was a horrible experience to go through, and I miss little Dora so much. The only thing I am thankful for is that I think the moose broke her back and that she had no feeling in her haunches - she didn't cry and whimper or act like she was in pain at all. And she could hear me - she stopped struggling when I told her to wait, and I was able to tell her how wonderful and loved she was.

I still haven't been able to go back to my sister's place. They've now fenced the entire back yard as they know the moose may come back in the fall when it gets hungry again. They were afraid for their kids, and rightfully so.

I'm still struggling with rheumatoid arthritis - NOT a nice disease in any way. I don't wish it on anyone! I have good days and bad days, and on good days I tend to overdo it so those are followed by bad days while I recuperate! *L* Such is the way of my life these days.

Anyhow, that's the news. We're just a two-dog household now, having lost three dogs in two years (Kylee in April 2008, Trick in October 2009, and Dora in March 2010). Dora was the youngest at 12 1/2, Kylee was the oldest at 16 1/2. At least they all had long lives with someone who really loved them. It seems so lonely to only have two girls now. The last time I only had two dogs was back in ... wow, 1988! And that was very briefly.

Melanie in Alaska
Khana CD RE SD (Chow)
Tazer the Monster (GSD)
Zhuyos mom

Re: Hi from Khana in Alaska

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Hi Melanie,

It's good to hear from you. My condolences on the tragic passing of Dora. What a nightmare to have had to witness the attack. I am so sorry. Those people were stupid and selfish to be feeding a wild animal. I hope they learned a lesson. I'll be updating the memorial video this weekend. I would like to place Dora's picture in it. Can you PM or post a photo of her for the video? Sadly, we've lost many beloved cc.org chows recently.

Good to hear Khana is helping you get around. Thanks for the update.
katman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by katman »

Iv'e never heard of such a thing, that's terrible. I can't begin to feel your pain and loss!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Aww, Melanie, I'm SO sorry to hear about Dora. She did have a nice long life and that's good and she knew she was loved and that you did everything you could for her. Your sister's neighbor is an idiot, no one should ever feed wild animals it makes them dependent on humans and in the case of a moose dangerous.

I don't even like peopel feeding the deer here in the city, the does and fawns are shy and not aggressive but the bucks can be dangerous in the fall and have hurt people.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Melanie,

Nice to hear from you. So sorry about Dora. Our deepest condolences to you all.

Hugs,
Leonora & mum
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Hi Melanie! It's great hearing from you. I was saddened to hear you lost darling Dora, and in such a violent way. I'm glad she stayed with you long enough after the incident to tell her you loved her, and give her comfort in her final moments. I lost my Pip 2 weeks ago, and the pain of it doesn't diminish because of their age. Pip was 14. I choke up still. I hope you come back more frequently, I know life has a way of keeping us all super busy.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Melanie,
Great to hear from you again. I'm sorry to hear that Dora crossed the Bridge.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

That is so sad Melaine. I'm sorry that poor Dora had to go that way.
No one would ever expect anything like that to happen.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

What an awful experience you have had to go through, I am so sorry for your loss.
IliamnasQuest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IliamnasQuest »

Thank you so much for all your kind thoughts and condolences. It was a very tragic thing to go through, Dora's death. One minute I'm tossing her treats and she's at my feet, happy and bouncy, and the next minute the moose has attacked. I was trying to get all the dogs into the van and Dora was happily sniffing around, completely unaware of the danger.

It will take me a while to soften my feelings about moose after this - right now the only good moose is one that's in your freezer in little packages marked "steak". I know, I know - don't blame the moose! But it's hard not to when you see a beloved pet die because of an unwarranted, savage attack. And it could have been me the moose attacked .. and probably would have been, if Dora hadn't gotten it first.

Auddymay - I'm SO sorry to hear about Pip! I've always thought of your Pip in similar terms to my Trick .. such amazing, trustworthy companions and a terrible loss when they have to go. I'm glad she had a long wonderful life with you.

Zhuyos Mom - Thank you for thinking to include Dora in the memorial! Here are a few pictures, use what works best for you:

Melanie in Alaska
Khana and Tazer
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

She sure was a beautiful girl!
Again,you have my deepest sympathies Melaine.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
I just read your tragic story. I am so very sad to hear of your loss. Dora was/is a stunning girl. I lost my nearly 9 yr old bull mastiff last year, we had to put him down due to cancer, not without trying everything from reiki to accupunture, operations, etc. I miss him everyday. It must be dreadful to lose a loved one in such a sudden way. Take time to take care of yourself.
Best wishes,
Hugo and Michelle (Australia)
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Goodbye Dora. You were beautiful and loved.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Hi Melanie,
It's great to hear from you, but I am so terribly to hear about Dora. She was such a beautiful girl. You were with her in the end, and I'm sure it was a great comfort to her. Godspeed, sweetie pie.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Melanie, Thank you for giving me the beautiful pictures to choose from. I have added Dora in the memorial video. It's the first topic in the Memorial and Prayers section.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am very sorry for your loss of Dora and in such a tragic way. How scary and sad for you.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Melanie,
I'm so sorry to hear about Dora's passing. No one should ever have to go through that. My deepest sympathies to you.

Run free sweet Dora!

Tippsy and Jasper send purple kisses.

Hugs,
Jess
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Melanie, it is nice to hear from you again and I am so sorry for your loss. What a sad experience for you and so frightening.
It is sad enough losing a precious chow but the way you lost your girl was dreadful.

Hugs and purple kisses from us here on The Island.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)