Leela bit my Pom BIG TIME

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

threedogjeep
Rank 3
Rank 3

Leela bit my Pom BIG TIME

Post by threedogjeep »

Of course, I was away on a girl weekend. Get home Friday night and all seems well. Sunday morning..there it is. Abcess. Then I hear that there was a little kitchen skirmish. Uh huh. Monday morning. Vet says it's very deep and needs surgery AND a tube all the way through. Poor little guy has stitches all the way across his back, tube out both ends. Ist move is kitchen is off limits. It is VERY small. THey must have both been going after a crumb in that confined corner by the stove. Now my husband is not sure what he wants to do about Leela. I say she is a good dog, but she is bigger and Godzilla can get an attitude over food (growl if she gets close). I think everyone just needs to calm down. Godzilla will be fine. Leela has never gone after him before. What do you think?
Twelve Paws UP!!
Sharon Rose
Auddymay

Re: Leela bit my Pom BIG TIME

Post by Auddymay »

Isn't it always the way, things happen when we are away? I agree with you. Leela is still a good girl, who made a mistake. I also agree behavior modification is in order-for the humans. It takes commitment to change the way we do things, such as feeding routines and allowing free range in the home. You already know Leela is worth the effort, it is now a case of getting the rest of your household on board. It is good to remember, even the best behaved animals can have an occasional skirmish. Good luck with your efforts, and certainly keep us apprised of the progress.
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

i would treat this as a one off situation you were away and have no witnesses that were there at the time of the incident.are you sure the pom hasnt managed to get out and go for a walk on his own and been bitten by another dog in the area ?.
the best advice i could suggest is put one feeding bowl in the kitchen and the other one in the next room round the corner of the doorway then stand in the kitchen between them with your arms folded your head held up high and make your presence felt.they must each learn this is the new routine more work for you every feeding time but it will pay off in the end.
hope all goes well for you.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am so sorry this happened. I think some changes are in order but try not to hold it against Leela. Pomeranians can sometimes be a dominant breed and don't realize they are as small as they are which can be dangerous when a bigger dog challenges them. I don't have a Pom but I do have an elderly, smaller, chow, Fozzie, who is the same way. He will start fights but he always ends up hurt because he is smaller and old but really he is the one instigating. We have had to make a lot of modifications to our behaviors including keeping confined areas off limits and keeping him on a leash in the house because it is crowded. I hope you are able to keep an eye on things and make changes to keep both of your babies safe. Fights are very scary.