The Evil Xena Strikes Again!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

The Evil Xena Strikes Again!

Post by sixchows »

We're just sitting in the house finally getting a chance to relax and Xena and Zim are out in the yard.

Next thing we hear this horrible sound. Kind of a cross between an animal hissing and a scream. At first I thought they had another raccoon or possum. We run out to get them and find Xena had caught a green parrot!

Oddly enough there is a flock of green parrots living around here. They spend the winters nesting in the street lights for warmth.

We usually see them every few days. There are about 8-10 at a time flying around from tree to tree. Well there will be one less now.:( What a shame! Such a beautiful bird! Xena was so mad when we took it from her! My wife and son were pretty upset as they really enjoy watching them fly around.
Zimmy just had that "I didn't do it, she did!" look on his face.
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I remember the time that my 1st chow, MO, brought me his 1st rabbit...I felt awful. But 20 rabbits later, I realized that Chows are big time hunters. It is just their natural instinct and that's what they do!

JR has always hunted rabbits and chipmunks etc.
Cheyenne loves all of the above but seem to like birds alot also and stalks them...hopefully they fly too fast and too high.

Sharon
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I fear foe the morning doves in my yard. They are much slower than the rabbits and the Robins! Thankfully, she hasn't caught anything yet.
chowfrnd88
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowfrnd88 »

I love that upset look they get when you take something away form them that they shouldn't have or you tell them no for something and they think you're ou of your mind for it! It's priceless. I always have to remember to stay firm because I just want to laugh and hug him everytime.

That's very cool that you have parrots nearby!

I'm just waiting for Special's first catch, luckily I ahven't had to experience it yet, but I so know it's coming.
Sandie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sandie »

I also love that but it's mine why are you taking it look they have! :?
luckily for me we only have lizards for the pups to hunt. The closest any bird gets are the electric wires oronce in a while on the post of the deck around the pool which the pups cannot get too.
Mommy to Storme, Beatle, Bailey and Mufassa aka Moose.
Rogansmommy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rogansmommy »

Because it's the winter, we now have geese down here. :shock: Every morning, Rogan asks, "Oh, please, please, please, please?" And every morning, I fight the battle. :wink:
Michele

^Rogan^ at the Bridge on 5/16/09 -- always in my heart
Tovya
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tovya »

It must be wonderful to have parrots flying around outside. We only have the usual "boring" birds like robins, sparrows and cardinals. :roll:
Chubaka had a go-round with a squirrel this morning -chasing him up and down the fence. Then the squirrel jumped into a tree and sat their "laughing" at Chuy. The little rodent is thieving my sunflower feeder. He just sits on top of it, takes off the lid and scoops out the seeds with his little hands. :shock: Then there is nothing left for the birds! :-x

Tovya
Proud ChowMum to Chubaka & Magda

Chows are not the whole of our lives but, they make our lives whole.
chris

Post by chris »

Poor bird...
My first chow Griz used to catch the birds right out of the sky if they flew low enough. She was a master at it. If the birds had ever planned on playing "chicken" they always LOST.
It was actualy fasinating to see her do that.

Steel wants so bad to catch one.. I can see it in his eyes and in the way he watches them.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Oh dear - poor bird but at the end of the day, it is nature and chows are hunters. :(
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
sixchows
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sixchows »

Here's the parrot...

Hard to believe they survive here in NY. They can be found nesting on the sodium vapor lights in a nearby park on chilly nights.

Kind of sad for them today. Usually the flock comes and goes, never staying more than 10-15 minutes at a time. This morning they were all in the trees squaking like mad.

I put the dead one on a shovel and moved it out into the open an left it there awhile. Well they found him and came around for a closer look squaking the whole time. My son said they were here all day. When I came home this evening they were still milling about.

My son buried him about an hour ago so maybe they'll calm down a little. Who would think birds would mourn like that?
PurpleKisses
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PurpleKisses »

Wow! I was going to ask where you lived. I can't believe that you have them in NEW YORK!!!
chris

Post by chris »

K.. ummmm.. didn't need to see the DEAD BIRD... =;

Steel on the other hand.. has a look about him just now... :biggergrin: :-oo