Yogis Leg falls asleep?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yogis Leg falls asleep?

Post by lightforce18 »

Yogi has been having a problem lately that I don't know whats wrong. Sometimes after sitting for so long he gets up and his left hind leg just goes up and he hobbles around for a minute till he puts it back down and then can walk and run on it again. He makes no noise at all but he does this once a day from what I see. Anyone have this happen to their dog? I know if i take him to the vet hes going to charge me up the wazoo to do xrays and tests and meds and kill my wallet which has no money in it right now lol. I read online some people say if ur dog sleeps all day on hardwood floors its bad for their circulation and this could be a cause, and some other sites say its worse. So I was going to buy him a pet bed and see if that works, but figured I would ask on here too.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Yogis Leg falls asleep?

Post by Victory »

Dreamdancer's leg does that too, it's his right rear one. He also sleeps on hard floors, and I know he's got some joint issues with that leg. You can try giving it a little massage if it stays in the wrong posistion for too long, I do that for Dreamdancer sometimes to get the blood flowing in the leg again. He doesn't seem to mind it. I haven't had Dreamdancer's legs x-rayed yet either, right now he's doing okay, no sign of pain, or limping just the leg falls asleep sometimes. He might go on cosequin next year when he turns five.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Sounds like it could be patellar luxation. Wait for your next paycheck, then get him checked out! He's your dog, and has only you to protect and take care of him! If you don't help him, nobody will! It's not that expensive to get one leg x-rayed. You'll feel better once you know for sure that it is nothing serous!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Yikes, sounds weird and scary! FengHuang lies in all sorts of bone defying positions and can bolt upright in an instant without any noticeable issue. Pains us just watching her sleep positions! Both she and ShenLung sleep on hard floors like wood, tile, concrete, stone without much worry but since they are just going on 3 yrs it may come later. Let us know. We are wishing for minor issues at the very most!