Winston's Entropian Surgery

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Winston's Entropian Surgery

Post by Swerve »

Well Winston is going in tomorrow (14 hours) to get his entropian surgery done (8:30am Wednesday 2nd June)

I’m so worried as poor little boy has no idea it is coming, or has never experienced pain. Makes you realize how new to the world your puppy is (he is 13.5 months, but still a puppy). My understanding is the vet will be cutting strips under the eyes as his lower eyelids roll. Just worried about him as he’s our little boy and this has been a long time coming.

Will keep you updated tomorrow

Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Winston's Entropian Surgery

Post by Swerve »

Well Winston was booked in for his eye surgery today at 8:30am.

He’s getting his Entropian Surgery done which means cutting strips of skin out under his eyes and pulling it together, this will pull the bottom eyelids done stopping his eyelashes rubbing on his eyeballs. He hasn’t had any food or water for 12 hours and is a little agitated, on the car trip down he was carrying on like a child, hmm he is. Here is a video before we went into the vet.

In the vet he was weird like he had never been before, maybe he could sense the impending doom. He wouldn’t let me pick him up for the vet table and when the vet went to take him away, he pulled his collar off. Then he tried again with a lasso and also won. The vet gave up and carried him off as he was a little boy having a tantrum.

We get him back at 5pm or so.

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWUaiNSghpI
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Poor Winston. I hope he feels better soon.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Winston looks anxious like he knows something is going on...hope all went well and he's doing okay.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Another 5 hours to wait !! arghhhhhh, going nuts, I want him home :evil:
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

How's he doing??
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I just called.

He's still in surgery now, they have finished one side now, and starting the next. sob sob sob, poor boy.

Even Duff is sad at home without him.

Steve
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Vet just called.

He’s up and looking around. Surgery was harder and longer then thought as closer inspection revealed eyelashes overlapping, had to cut I think into the corners.

Ready for collection in 1.5 hours.

Yippee
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Well we have him back. Here he is at the vet picking him up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5mYWhLzyo

He is very distressed and whimpering and crying, vet said not to cut the E collar down untill tomorrow. He's bashing into evrything, cant walk the stairs and just distressed.

Will get some better close up photos of his eyes of the camera, these are from the phone.

As we speak he is laying in the lounge room , Duff is locked in the front of the house. As we speak he is whimpering, which is so sad :cry:

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Finially got him to settle down in the hallway where he like's to sleep. He just walks into the wall, collar jams, and he just stays there like a lost soul. Hopefully he goes to sleep for a while. I swear this is so distressing watching him. So glad I don't have kids yet.
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Aww bless him i amp leased he was stable and well throughout the surgery, he has an owner who loves him very much...Yumi's op is imminent and those pictures made me cry a little as i know now what my lil girl will look like after her surgery, we also are lucky to have an inflatable collar which i think we will use instead of the cone,

i hope he settles for you and i know he will in time enjoy his gift of irritation free eyes that you have given him xxxx
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I asked the vet about the infaltable collars, he said no.

After watching him the last 6 hours, the plastic is priceless. He will try and rub his face on teh wall or door jam which the infaltable will not stop. The plastic does.

HE has been crying non stop the last 6 hours and driving us so mad, sad, regret all the above.

Maz will sleep with him in the lounge tonight as we cannot leave him alone, he's crying as I write this, I just hope tomorrow is a better day.
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Just caught him in the bathroom trying to use the toleit to stractch his face, little $hit , well almost for real
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sue »

its always hard for them the first time they have to wear a collar there bulky and also there not used to the noise when they catch on something.it will take him a few days to get used to it.i hope all goes well for you.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Poor Winston...I hope he's feeling better!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi,
Poor sweetheart, looks miserable. Hopefully will be a speedy recovery and will be feeling better than ever.
Hugs to your beautiful chows.
Michelle and Hugo.
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Thanks all fo your support, finally got around to dumping some shots of the camera. Couldnt resist the before shot with Duff. My little boy.

Well Winston had a rough 1st night after his entropian surgery. He was crying all afternoon & night after collecting him. Maz slept with him in the lounge & I had watch today. He is getting stuck everywhere in the house, we need to give him water as he cant drink himself, and outside on the leash to poo & pee w eneed to take him. Just alot of work. Today hasnt cried ...much & slept a bit. I'd say eyes are looking better, but still looks really bad.

Day 1 at the vet

Being hand feed steak for dinner, had to get him to eat something

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Bless him - I do hope he feels better soon. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

How is the brave boy doing? duff is a cutie too :D
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Well Winston is doing well with no obvious pain, still has a little discomfort as the right eye is weeping clear fluid, it’s not infected. Went to the vet yesterday about it and they said just continue using the antibiotic eyedrops. Also he had a stitch in his left eye that was rubbing on the eyeball so that was also removed yesterday.

His personality is back to normal and he misses playing with fluffy squeaky toys so is a little bored and needs calming down sometimes as will start sniffing and trying to play with Duff. I just separate them when this happens and all good in 20 minutes. He’s very good in the plastic collar and really doesn’t care it is there. But at night we give him 1-2 hours in the lounge with it off, I’m watching him like a hawk and he knows it.

In the back yard he like to poo and sniff between the fence and our bordering shrubs. This was my biggest fear and he needs to push through twigs etc. The collar makes it harder but he is doing it and doesn’t seem to be trying to rub the face etc, so all good. However I still keep him locked in the house with only supervised yard time.

When I was talking with the vet yesterday it is essential he doesn’t rub the eyes, as cause they also cut from the eye corners out to the ears, and sowed it back together, they just don’t have the strength like a normal etropian surgery. But he really doesn’t try to rub them. At night he is now laying at our feet in the lounge(didn’t do this before) and I really think this has brought him closer to us, which I am gratefull for. He loves us giving his head, cheeks, chin , forehead etc a gentle rub with the collar on and just seems happier with us around.

I understand this surgery is to give him a better life, but gez it was rough on both of us and I sure as well don’t want to go through it again, I’m lucky I can work from home when I need to, so working remote this week, and had taken 2 days annual leave last week. FYI the surgery cost came out at $750 AUD compared to the quote of $550 due to the extra work with the overlapping eyelids and cutting out to the ears etc. Winston’s friend the English Bulldog in the RSPCA Walk photos went in yesterday for his Entropian surgery as well, poor boy. So Angela (owner) and I are talking a lot and sharing pain LOL.

The only other thing is all the eye weeping and medication also seeping out has irritated his skin below his eyes but this will pass when it’s all over.

Thanks

Steve
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Hugs to Winston from Little Bear... Feel Better soon!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

OK, photos from last night 6 days after surgery. His right eye is the issue and it appears to have to much (ie some slack) skin between the top cetre and outside edge. The eyelid can sort or get stuck curlin in, and once reset by him shaking his head or me poulling it out its fine. When it is is curled in the eyelid only open half way.

Off to the vet tonight to get his stiches removed. will talk about it tonight. But this source of irritation is where the extra clear weeping is coming from

Also he is now collar less during waking hours and he isnt rubbing or anything.

Dinner last night

chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

Aww bless him I really hope he is back do 100% very soon. Thank you for sharing your pictures and experience as it has helped us prepare for yumi as her operation its tomorrow. X x
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Winston saw the vet again today about his Entropian surgery. stitches need more time and will come out Friday morning, His right eye may need another surgery as the top outer lid is still sagging, still some swelling and cant be certain for another 2 weeks on a 2nd surgery. I've now taken the collar off all day and only use it overnight or when unattended.