"You don't want a Chow Chow. They're not nice dogs."

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

arctic.crocodile
Rank 0
Rank 0

"You don't want a Chow Chow. They're not nice dogs."

Post by arctic.crocodile »

When I mentioned to my vet that I was considering adopting a Chow Chow, I was told, "You don't want a Chow Chow. They're not nice dogs", and that a Chow probably wouldn't get along with my cats. The number one most important consideration in any further additions to the "family" is that the new addition/s MUST be cat friendly. So, what do people who actually have Chowdren think? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is my vet right? :?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: "You don't want a Chow Chow. They're not nice dogs."

Post by Victory »

If you get a puppy and raise the puppy with your cats it will be just fine, it will see your cats as part of the family and do just fine. You'll actually have to protect the puppy from the cats when he's young so they don't hurt him, but once he's bigger than they are then they should get along just fine. There is a picture of chow and a cat, the cat is cuddled up behind the chow for protection. It's in the community section a thread about "Harry" Harry is the cat, the chow is Mable.

Before you get your chow though, start looking for a new vet, the one you have obviously doesn't like the breed and this can cause problems for you and for your chow. The important thing to remember about chows is that EVERY experience they have as puppies has to be positive, if he/she has a negative experience with the vet, he/she will become fearful of the vet and act up horrendiously at every Vet visit. You can help with this, by being proactive by making sure your puppy allows itself to be touched all over it's body, look in his/her eyes, pick up the feet and play with them, clean the little rear end, run your hands around the tummy and chest, sides back, top of head, everything, tell him/her how good it is for allowing it.

It sounds like you don't have a lot, or only a minumum experience with Chows, if that's not right, I'm sorry. But if it is then check out the training section, the grooming section etc. You'll find lots of good info there.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Victory mentions Harry the cat and Mabel my old chow chow. They do get on fine together and so did Mabel's sister. We now have two more chows who are now 8 months old and they get on with Harry who is now 9.5 yrs old. As Victory pointed out, we had to make sure that we Harry did not lash out at them when they were younger but now if they do get a bit lively with him, we just say, "No, leave him!" and they do.
ImageImage
These pictures are self-explanatory.
Firstly, Mabel with Harry recently then Mabel's litter sister Milly asleep with Harry. Little Baby Matilda teasing Harry and he, as you can see, showing her his claws and then Matilda just sitting watching as she was getting to be obedient when told to leave him and finally a picture of Harry snuggled up with Mabel in the garden.
I would suggest as Victory has already mentioned, if you are getting a puppy, you must train it immediately to leave the cats alone and be very firm with the pup.
If you are contemplating an adult chow, he/she must be cat friendly as there can be friction amongst them.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

We have had 2 chows. The first came to us as a stray puppy and had to share her home with 8 cats. Absolutely no problems. The second was adopted at approximately 5 years old and moved in with 5 cats. Again, the normal adjustments but no problems.

And I agree, find another vet. I would have doubts if any chow would get the proper care from this one.

Nita
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Although we don't personally have a cat, whenever Henry see ones he is curious and will try to approach it with a sniff. He even play bows to one he sees at the end of the road, so cute.
Thank you Sweatpea
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

I have 2 cats (5 years old) and one chow (2 years old) and we have never had any troubles... I think it only took one swipe from the cats to put Little Bear in her place... now they are great pals!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Chow Chow Mama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chow Chow Mama »

Agreed with getting a new vet.
ImageImageImage
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

Agree that a new vet is in order When I brought my first chow Sheba home I had to cats One outlived Sheba and the other passed on just before Sheba. We had to watch them for the first while but eventually every thing settled Sheba was 18 months old and the two cats were7 years old I always told he they were her cats. But if stays ventured into the yard she didn't like that.Tyton is fine with the two cats we have now whom are 11years old. He get upset with them if they are running around the house. he will just sit and wine as if to say mom I want to play to.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

We adopted Molly when she was 1 or 2. We had 2 cats at the time. She will chase them if they run from her, but that's all she does. She just likes the chase. The one knows not to run, so she leaves him alone. The other one is more fearful, so still runs, but again, she won't hurt him, and he can get out of her reach. We have another cat who stays in the house all the time that we got after Molly, and she has had no problem sharing the house with her. Your vet doesn't know much about chows....obviously.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

We have 4 cats living here with Tippsy and Jasper. We don't have any problems with them getting along. I agree with everyone else who said to get a new vet.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
carol t
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by carol t »

My chow mix loves every living thing other dogs,cats,birds she even met a horse and rubbed her head to it.I have had alot of dogs in my life.My Chow mix is the most loving.
arctic.crocodile
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arctic.crocodile »

Thank you everyone for your replies. You have all put my mind more at ease about Chow Chows and cats. And thank you, Victory, you're right, I don't have a lot of experience with Chows and will certainly be doing my homework before bringing any new additions into the family, Chow or otherwise. And, thank you, Judy, the pics are adorable, especially the one of the Chow puppy playing with the cat. Thank you all.
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Maxine adopted a kitten and she is very protective over her, Yoshi will watch Kabuki but never goes near her.

David
Samson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Samson »

There are no bad chows, only bad vets and bad owners. Any vet that would "warn" someone against getting a chow is irrationally afraid of the breed.

I agree with the others - get rid of the vet and find a new vet familiar with the breed.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

No problems here. :D
DSCI0607.gif
DSCI0607.gif (77.22 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
Sahara91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sahara91 »

I think Chows are much like any other breed - some will get along with cats, others won't. I have a Chow, and a cat, and it's not a happy combination. Xhena grew up with the cat around, but she found it's far more fun to chase cats than be friends with them (every walk at the mo ends up as a cat hunt :| ). That may be down to the fact that our cat is pretty anti-social, though :roll: