Getting Chow to cuddle

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting Chow to cuddle

Post by Missystone »

I luv Jasmine very much. But I swear she just tolerates me. She has a pillow in the living room, she lays on that or near the couch. She lays
by the front door to keep watch, she sleeps at night in my bathroom on the cool tile. During the day while we are gone she sleeps on my sons
bed looking out the window being the neighborhood watchdog.
When I sit near her, she keeps one eye on me, then will just get up and walk away.
If I sit on the bed with her, she goes to the opposite end, facing me too keep an eye on me.

I have checked, I dont have bad breath, I am not trying to smother her, or overheat her. Just want her to be near me.

At the vets, she will lay at my feet, but thats because she is on a leash and can only go so far.
I feed her, treat her, brush her, talk to her, medicate her. Is it too late to train her to be a lap dog?
My last chows (2 of them) were, I think I am just missing that now.

Any advice would be great, but no i am not putting peanut butter behind my ears again.;P

missy
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Getting Chow to cuddle

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Jasper is my lap dog, but I credit that to the lab? in him and plus what I've heard about boys is that they lean more towards being snugglers. Tippsy ONLY "snuggles" at night and even then it's only her back against mine, but other than that she keeps her ey on me and makes sure I'm not getting too close. From what my mom has told me, Cinder only had his moments when he was snuggly, most of the time he was the way you discribe Jasmine to be. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

It's never too late to work on cuddles, however it may take a great deal of time. Good luck!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily looks like a bald mole rat because of skin infections we have been treating for forever...the upside, if you can call it that, is she loves sleeping snuggled to the back of my legs with the afghan over her bottom half. It is the most lovies I have recieved in 5 years!
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

sounds like my Cara. After 4 years of begging I finally convinced her to sleep next to me in bed. But if I get too close or start petting her she runs away. Some are just not cuddlebugs I guess..
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Some are snugglers Dreamdancer is but it's still only on his terms, when he feels like it, right now he's laying at my feet, but in a while he'll go lay by the front door, being Mr. Watcher; at night he lays under the bed, Firesong at the foot, that's the way it's always been with her too, they follow me everywhere, but they're not really snugglers which is okay cause I'm not either.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Selethe
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Selethe »

It must be hard to have a cute furry chow and not to be able to cuddle. If she moves away, can you move with her too? How abt sitting near her, petting her with some treats in hand? So she will get the message that you want to be near her and it will be a positive experience.

Momo doesn't mind my hugging and petting. But sometimes in the middle of it all, she will just walk away and plonk herself elsewhere with her bum facing me. :roll: Most of the time I let her be. Occasionally I will persist and just continue to cuddle. She gets 'compensated' with tummy rubs and chin tickles. :D
The many faces of momo
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

if you mean cuddle like you can hug them, my two allow cuddling when they feel like it - otherwise no lap dogs exist in my home. I haven't read about too many Chow Chows that like to cuddle - I know they exist - just not in my house so I don't know how you can change them to cuddle.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Missystone »

Thank you for your responses. I feel a bit better knowing that it might not be me.
She loves hugs, (quick, your a good girl, I wuv you, not leave me alone) type.
She likes affection, and greets me at the car, follows us around.

I got her to hang out on my bed for a bit, she went to the bottom, draped her paws off the end, then a bit later, kaplump she was down.
But that might be because she got warm.

Thanks again, I will work on the letting me sit next too her, even if it takes a bag of liver bites!!

Missy
Missystone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Getting Chow to cuddle (update)!

Post by Missystone »

So I have been working with getting Jasmine to let me hang out closer to her.
Last night I sat down in the middle of the floor with her and a human brush. (round tip plastic/rubber) instead of the typical
dog brushes.
I started brushing her out, and she actually laid flat and closed her eyes and relaxed. She has never ever done this. Normally it
consists of me say 'stay, stay, stay, stay' 'come back here' etc.
I got to do her entire body except for tail, figure that thing can wait another day.
I was really impressed. So after I brushed her out, I got my doggy brush and brushed myself out while she sat there and watched
me clean up all her hair.

Missy
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

hannah like many chow's likes to cuddle on her terms. when I'm in my rocker she will sometimes jump up and stretch out if I put the foot rest up. At night she usually will sleep stretched out next to me with her head on the pillow, I think she is trying to be my hubby :P . But she usually gets down on the floor sometime during the night when she gets hot.

When I'm on my computer (I sit at the foot of the bed) thats when she has to be right next to me, I guess as chow's go she is snugglier then most.

Good luck, they are so cute you can't help but want to squeeze them, the least they get do is let you :mrgreen:
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

My boyfriend's chow Bogey, 11 months, loves to cuddle and snuggle. My 2 month old, Roscoe one just struggles to get away.

ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Winston enjoys cuddling and willlay there while the attention is on offer, once attention ceases he slowly moves away to the corner of the bed and is then gone. During cuddles he loves it and you can do anything to/ with him :) Just keep working on them :) Some night when the wife is away he will sleep with both Duff and me on the bed.
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
thewholebit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by thewholebit »

This is a very interesting topic. My dog can't get enough affection. You could pet him 20 hours a day if you were so inclined. Do you guys think it something that happens when they are puppies?
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My old girl Mabel who is ten yrs. old and her litter sister, Milly who is now in The Happy Hunting Grounds love/loved a quick cuddle but are very aloof - not many kisses - but look into their eyes and all the love is there. :)
My two young girls - Matilda and Maisie - now just 1 yr. old are also litter sisters. Matilda was very cuddly as a chowling but now she is more aloof and will most often go and lie behind the settee in the evening rather than with us.
Maisie is the most affectionate girl. She loves cuddles and kisses and will instigate a cuddle herself. She will jump up on the settee and cuddle into Fred in the evening. She will kiss us and if she isn't cuddling up to Fred in the evening, she will be lying by my feet. She is gorgeous.
However, in the morning when we wake up, they are both very affectionate and are thrilled to see us even though the sleep in our bedroom. :lol:
Generally though, I think that Chow Chows are not 'lap-dogs' but I know how you feel - when Milly was alive I would have loved a cuddle but she would just tolerate a little hug then that was that.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
ibsy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ibsy »

Chows are just rude, they're far too sophisticated to cuddle.
I've learnt to bully them into a cuddle.
Here's how it's done:
To start with you have to lie on the floor and be dead still
Then, you have to let them come and sniff you and then proceed to punch you in the face a few times.
After all the sniffing and punching is done with you can slowly rise and go on all fours, this is when you have to start a new game, it involves you hair being pulled and chewed.
Slowly rise again so you're sitting on your knees and the chow (if in a playful mood) will jump onto your shoulders, that's when you have to do the grab and hug move.
If all goes to plan you end up with a massive pile of fluff grunting in your face and eventually snuggling in.

If you have an old chow like Mabel then the best you can get is a lie down next to him/her while he/she sleeps and hope to god they don't wake up.

Chows do like to cuddle sometimes, mainly when:
They've just played in the mud and you've put clean clothes on
When you're having a lie in in the morning and they want you up
or when you hide gravy bones under the pillow (that was my trick with Milly and Mabel when I was younger) the only downside with this one is that you end up with crumbs and slobber all over your bedding and end up getting pushed out of the bed because it's then full of chows.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

When i got Nelly, she was 1 yrs old, she was not used to being huged and loved (she a rescued chow) and she either doesnt like to be cuddled, she will come and get pet and then walk away, she will not sleep with me or sit with me on the couch. When I got Romeo (he is now 4 1/2 months I made sure to cuddle him alot, so that he will like it. He oftens sleeps on me, or sits beside me on the couch. And now where ever I go he follows, if i go to the kitch hes there, to the computer, he follows, even when i go put a log in the fire LOL
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Little Bear also follows me around everywhere... it's really cute, It's like I have a shadow!
As for cuddling, LB is a cuddler... probably because I have been cuddling her every day since we got her at 8 weeks old... at first she would squirm away after a few minutes, now she runs to me whenever I open my arms (very uncowlike I am gathering from reading other people's posts!) HOWEVER she only does this for me - everyone else she doesnt give the time of day to!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage