General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Leg cocking

Post by Hugo »

Hi
My Hugo is almost 11 months and was desexed at about 7 months. He has never cocked his leg well until this morning. We were on our walk and he stopped to sniff his usual post and did a leg lift, very quick but it was a definate cocking of his leg. Don't think anything came out, it was just an action. Is this normal, I thought that because I had him desexed before he started to lift, he wouldn't do it ever.
Any ideas.
Thanks
Michelle
sue
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Leg cocking

Post by sue »

yes its normal even if they have been castrated they will raise there legs.at 11 months he is starting to mature so he will want to spray as high up as possible this is done so when other males sniff the side of a tree etc they will detect his scent.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

It's actully more than normal, it's a sign that the muscles in his hips and hind legs are developing proberly. Males should actually never be neutered until they lift their legs to urinate on a regular basis. Having them neutered before then could cause them to develope more hip and leg issues later because of lack of muscle development.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

It's normal. :lol: Jasper is about a year and a half old now, and he has only just recently started lifting his leg. :lol: What I really wanna know is if it's normal for females to lift their legs? Tippsy lifts her's, and has for about 5 years now. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Tippsy'smom wrote:It's normal. :lol: Jasper is about a year and a half old now, and he has only just recently started lifting his leg. :lol: What I really wanna know is if it's normal for females to lift their legs? Tippsy lifts her's, and has for about 5 years now. :lol:
In a female it is a sign of dominance and sometimes slight hormonal imbalance. Tipsy isn't spayed so she's got a lot of hormones going on, also she has been the dominant canine for a while, so for her it's normal...but it's not really normal for most females. Firesong is spayed and she doesn't lift her leg but she does the dirt kick thing, (another dominance behavior) and she only started after Darkwind passed, she's the dominant in the house, (after me).
Thank you SweetPea!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Ok thank you. Any suggestions on rough and tumble play safely without causing injury to Hugo. My husband only seldom will play with the dogs, but when he does he likes to roll them over and play and I'm always telling himk off incase my boys get hurt. They have never yelped in pain and do seem to enjoy it. but is there a specific way to roll a chow over in play?
Thanks all.
Ps The previous responses are great, now I know it's perfectly normal. Whish I knew about waiting to desex him after he was lifting his leg though. Thanks all.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Victory wrote:
Tippsy'smom wrote:It's normal. :lol: Jasper is about a year and a half old now, and he has only just recently started lifting his leg. :lol: What I really wanna know is if it's normal for females to lift their legs? Tippsy lifts her's, and has for about 5 years now. :lol:
In a female it is a sign of dominance and sometimes slight hormonal imbalance. Tipsy isn't spayed so she's got a lot of hormones going on, also she has been the dominant canine for a while, so for her it's normal...but it's not really normal for most females. Firesong is spayed and she doesn't lift her leg but she does the dirt kick thing, (another dominance behavior) and she only started after Darkwind passed, she's the dominant in the house, (after me).
Thank you for the information, Victory. :) Tippsy does the dirt kick thing as well, but Jasper and Max also do it. :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Victory »

Hugo wrote:Ok thank you. Any suggestions on rough and tumble play safely without causing injury to Hugo. My husband only seldom will play with the dogs, but when he does he likes to roll them over and play and I'm always telling himk off incase my boys get hurt. They have never yelped in pain and do seem to enjoy it. but is there a specific way to roll a chow over in play?
Thanks all.
Ps The previous responses are great, now I know it's perfectly normal. Whish I knew about waiting to desex him after he was lifting his leg though. Thanks all.
If a chow doesn't want to be rolled in play or for any other reason, it won't happen without a lot of force. They are very strong and able to resist being rolled when they want too, but if they like to play and get into wrestling then rolling is okay.
Thank you SweetPea!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi
Thank you all for your replies. You have put my mind at ease. Have a great week.
Hugs to all the Chowdren.
Michelle (Hugo's Mum).x
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

It took JR forever to learn to lift his leg...he was maybe 1 yr plus when he finally decided to do it.
Cheyenne on the other hand lifts her leg with no problem....only problem I see there is the fact that she is supposed to be a well behaved GIRLIE!!!

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS