MY FIRST AND LAST BEAUTIFUL CHOW

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

cebuana1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: MY FIRST AND LAST BEAUTIFUL CHOW

Post by cebuana1 »

YES, I WILL BE THERE TO HELP THE FAMILY WITH THE TRANSITION.

IF HE NEEDS TO BE TRANSPORTED TO LAS VEGAS OR CALIFORNIA, I WILL TAKE HIM THERE AND HELP THE FAMILY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

MARICAR
cebuana1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cebuana1 »

I WILL FIND MORE VIDEOS OF HIM WALKING OR RUNNING AND I WILL POST THEM SHORTLY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

MARICAR
cebuana1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cebuana1 »

Red Dragon
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Red Dragon »

It's very difficult to tell much from those videos, but in two of them he appears to favor his right rear. He may be dysplastic in his right hip. If he is it, it can be extremely painful, and he may have bitten both you and your daughter if you put pressure on a bad hip. Before you go to the extreme of putting him to sleep, I would have a very good vet check his hips, elbows, and patella. Preferably an orthopedic vet.
Sam

Keeper of the furry things...Master of the kibble....Scooper of the poo!
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I agree, please have Chocolates joints checked out by a good Vet or Ortho. Vet to rule out any health issues. Could be pain especially since he hasn't bitten anyone for 5 yrs. Hip dysplasia isn't easy to see if you don't know what your looking for & Chows HIDE their pain. Please Please don't have him put to sleep without making sure pain isn't the issue here. They really don't have any other way of letting you know something hurts them.
I'm sooo sorry for what you & your family are going through...I know it's heartbreaking to even consider putting a beloved pet to sleep.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Maricar, is Chocolate in quarantine because your animal control is enforcing a bite ordinance? If not, and if you and your husband and daughter have calmed your nerves down from last week's incident, I recommend you bring him home. Chows are extra sensitive to their enviroment and they really don't like all that constant barking.

Sam's (Red Dragon) assessment sounds correct. There are many threads on this site where aggressive behavior is externally manifested when there is a pain their chow is hiding and where their vet has not been able to diagnose the dysplasia (hip or elbow) yet. Here is a link on the best of health sub-section: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3061 It has info on the supplement regimen Leo's mum put Leonora on to help her live with her condition. We have become personal friends and I know at times, it has not been an easy ride for Leonora's parents. But they adore Leonora, as much as I am sure you and your family love Chocolate. I am not at liberty to share some of the situations Leonora has been involved in. But I know, if you PM Leo's mum she will generously share with you what she and her husband have had to do to keep her pain free and then some behaviorally. So please PM her.

Meanwhile, please choose to take Sam's advice and get Chocolate to a very good vet to get assessed. Once he has been evaluated, we can PM each other regarding rehoming Chocolate.
cebuana1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cebuana1 »

***GOODBYE CHOCOLATE...MY PRECIOUS AND BEAUTIFUL CHOW CHOW...YOU WILL ALWAYS BE IN MY HEART***

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK PHYLLIS WHO HELPED ME DURING THIS DIFFICULT TIME.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT.

GOD BLESS...

MARICAR
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

The family has made the excruciating decision to let Chocolate go. I went to visit him earlier this week and sadly didn't think he could be rehomed. Chocolate was a beautiful chow that was dearly loved by his family. They are heartbroken, but feel they made the best decision for the safety of their family and others. I was with the owner when she said goodbye and I know how difficult this is for her.

Please try to understand this decision was made after a lot of soul searching and prayer. Thanks
Last edited by fillyok on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

fillyok wrote:The family has made the excruciating decision to let Chocolate go. I went to visit him earlier this week and sadly didn't think he could be rehomed. Chocolate was a beautiful chow that was dearly loved by his family. They are heartbroken, but feel they made the best decision for the safety of their family and others. I was with the owner when she said goodbye and I know difficult this is for her.

Please try to understand this decision was made after a lot of soul searching and prayer. Thanks

So so sad, my heart goes out to all involved and of course Chocolate. Run free, be at peace Chocolate.
Thank you Sweatpea