General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: different types of chows

Post by Victory »

Jess is right. Your Teddy looks like the "classic" chow. Somewhere, on this site are several pictures of chows from aroung the late 1800's and very early 1900's and they look a lot like Teddy, (or more correctly Teddy looks like them) And it may be that here in the US the first ones that came over were like Teddy, and that there is a strong genetic trend towards that type. I have noticed that except for some bred for show, a lot of chows tend to look like Teddy here.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
kobechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kobechow »

how about mine? 4month old cream chow.. he is KOBE :)
is he pure?

thanks!
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

Love the pictures!
kobechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kobechow »

chowling1964 wrote:Bottom line= differentials within the varying bloodlines.. :D

i am newbie when it comes to dogs.. what do you mean by that? and what are they saying "manes"?

is my dog pure breed? what you think? thanks! :)
kobechow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kobechow »

Me & Tess wrote:Love the pictures!
thanks! can you figure out if kobe's a pure chow?
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Well we thought we would add our furkids mugs tho this. ShenLung and FengHuang just turned 3.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

As you can see in my signature, Molly looks like the older chows.
Kobechow...I would say Kobe is purebred.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Lobis Cunami wrote:No one could give me an answer why American Chow Chows look so much different than European Chow Chows. ]
It doesn't really have to do with American vs European lines..there are many Chows from American lines who have the blockier muzzles. It has more to do with what the breeder was focusing on...if they breed a dog with a longer muzzle, some of the pups are likely to end up with that. And if those pups are bred, it continues on. What did your girl's parents look like? I think it's more common for the lines breeding for show to have dogs with the more blocky muzzles. The standard calls for a muzzle to be short in comparison to the top skull, so a dog with a really long muzzle (while still a great pet) wouldn't fit that standard.

It doesn't make them different breeds..just means one was bred closer to the standard than the other. Just like any other breed..you'll find marked differences in type in most dogs. Compare show bred Pomeranians to pet ones, as one example.
Calift
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calift »

My female Chow has the "classic" look- more of a long face and no wrinkles. She pure Chow (couldn't mistake her attitude with any other breed ;)), though I I have noticed a lot of variation within the breed- as this thread demonstrates.

Does anyone here show? I'm guessing more show lines have a more pushed in face, wrinkles, and smaller eyes. The champion Chows I have met also have noisy breathing...sounds a bit like a health disadvantage, but it would be interesting to get a breeder/exhibitors opinion on it. :)
Image <3
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Oh my, so many beautiful variations to our beloved chows! If I could I would have one of every type!

We have decided on getting LB a little brother. We told the breeder we don't care about coat or colour... so our fingers are crossed that everything goes as planned with the breeding this February/March!!! The parents (who we met this past summer) are GORGEOUS, both smooth, with the mom having a more open face and the dad with a closed face... so who knows that will happen! This "searching for our new chowling" has been a work in progress for over a year now... so I really hope that everything works out

PS Little Bear is currently sleeping on my feet... keeping them warm, but also making them fall alseep... she looks so peaceful I don't have the heart to wake her!!!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
joghz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joghz »

YEsterday, I and my family together with Nutella Waynewent to this Pet Village to show my mom some new pups.

When we stepped into this shop, one sales lady noticed my Chow and said, why is your Chow so thin??! I told her, he's not thin. he's fit and heavy.

She again said, why are his hair short? he doesnt look like a Chow at all. is he mix breed?! I told her that Wayne is an open faced Chow with short mane. at to an extent that she showed me her for sale Chow saying, 'see my Champ Line Chow. Not even closer to yours.'

I got pissed off and I asked my family to just go. My Wayne is very strong and has legitimate registration and license.

I don't know how to explain to her that Wayne is a Chow. not a mix breed whatsoever dog.

He's not just a Chow Chow, we treated him as my son. :)
Attachments
Nutella Wayne at 3 months
Nutella Wayne at 3 months
599444_430685786953851_785294178_n.jpg (102.49 KiB) Viewed 25636 times
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

He looks like our Mia...She is what we call an in-betweener..lol..Not full rough coat but not full smooth either...She has the longer nose...Our Male chow is the heavier boned Short muzzled look...But his Mom was the thiner long nosed dog...I guess its in there genes somehow..lol...on what there going to look like..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

kitten1426 wrote:He looks like our Mia...She is what we call an in-betweener..lol..Not full rough coat but not full smooth either...She has the longer nose...Our Male chow is the heavier boned Short muzzled look...But his Mom was the thiner long nosed dog...I guess its in there genes somehow..lol...on what there going to look like..
There's NO such thing as an "in-betweener". There is rough and smooth, nothing else.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Tippsy'smom wrote:
kitten1426 wrote:He looks like our Mia...She is what we call an in-betweener..lol..Not full rough coat but not full smooth either...She has the longer nose...Our Male chow is the heavier boned Short muzzled look...But his Mom was the thiner long nosed dog...I guess its in there genes somehow..lol...on what there going to look like..
There's NO such thing as an "in-betweener". There is rough and smooth, nothing else.

Oh ok..then how come the Chow Chow rescue of NY when they Saw her they said Oh wow cool she is an in-betweener?....she Has no where near the FUR of our Male chow and has no where near the smooth coat look she has minamul fur i will post a picture later of her....And she is a Cinamanon color too...which is also very cool looking...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Because too many people believe there is such a thing as an in-betweener. There are varying coat lenths for rougher not ALL rougher have HUGE coats. Varying coat length does NOT mean "in-betweener".
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
PrinceArx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PrinceArx »

hi what do you guys think of my chow chow? some said its mix but i know its not can you guys confirm? BTW he's name is Simba
Attachments
simba.jpg
simba.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 25467 times
simba4.jpg
simba4.jpg (8.69 KiB) Viewed 25467 times
simba2.jpg
simba2.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 25467 times
Mrs. Cooper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mrs. Cooper »

All of them are beautiful. Here is an online article I found while researching this topic, regarding how the chow standard has evolved. http://andruska.wordpress.com/tag/chow-viii/
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well i got another one for you.its a new breed over here maybe in the last 50 yrs..its called an eurasier breed of dog..here is some info

The Eurasier is a balanced, well-constructed, medium-sized Spitz (Spitzen) type dog with prick ears. It comes in different colors: fawn, red, wolf-grey, solid black, and black and tan. All color combinations are allowed, except for pure white, white patches, and liver color. Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI) standards call for the Eurasier to have a thick undercoat and medium-long, loosely lying guard hair all over the body, with a short coat on the muzzle, face, ears, and front legs. The tail and the back of the front legs (feathers) and hind legs (breeches) should be covered with long hair. The coat on the Eurasier's neck should be slightly longer than on the body, but not forming a mane. The breed may have a pink, blue-black or spotted tongue.

The male has a height of 52 to 60 cm (20-23.5 inches) at the withers and weighs approximately 23 to 32 kg (50-70 lb).

The female has a height of 48 to 56 cm (19-22 inches) at the withers and weighs anywhere from 18 to 26 kg (40-57 lb).

[edit] Temperament
Eurasiers are calm, even-tempered dogs. They are watchful and alert, yet reserved towards strangers without being timid or aggressive. Eurasiers form a strong link to their families. For the full development of these qualities, the Eurasier needs constant close contact with its family, combined with understanding, yet consistent, training. They are extremely sensitive to harsh words or discipline and respond best to soft reprimand. The Eurasier is a combination of the best qualities of the Chow Chow, the Wolfspitz, and the Samoyed (dog), resulting in a dignified, intelligent breed.

Eurasiers were bred as companion dogs; as such they do poorly in a kennel environment such as those commonly used for institutionally trained service dogs, nor are they well suited for the social stresses of working as a sled or guard dog. Training should always be done through family members, not through strangers or handlers. Eurasiers should never be restricted to only a yard, kennel, crate, or chained up. They would pine and become depressed. Within these limitations, Eurasiers can work very well as therapy dogs. This breed enjoys all kinds of activities, especially if the activities involve their family. Eurasiers are calm and quiet indoors, outdoors they are lively and enjoy action. Eurasiers rarely bark but if they do, they usually have a good reason.

We adpoted our chow and we did a search of chow breeders in the area she was found NONE but get this..there are only a few breeders in the US i think only 8000 dogs to be known...most overseas BUT one breeder in Philadelphia PA were our female chow? was found...we think she might be this dog..also we checked when we got her if they had a litter at the time she was born guess what they did...weird no...we think she either got out...or someone bought her and didnt want her..we did a DNA test on her it came back chow..but if you read that above they are mostly chows....
JStone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JStone »

PrinceArx wrote:hi what do you guys think of my chow chow? some said its mix but i know its not can you guys confirm? BTW he's name is Simba
PrinceArx, he looks full blooded to me, in the classic open face type. Black lips and tongue....and the tail is too cute! He's adorable. \:D/
Hayley92
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hayley92 »

chowling1964 wrote:The loner the faces and fewer wrinkles yield to fewer problems with eye health problems...Plus, breathing is alot easier..We have both in our pack..
I was just thinking the more open faces variety should have less problems eye wise. I'm co-mummy to a black chow with the more open face. Interesting reading what people have said about the 'English' type chow because every chow ive met looks alot different to some of the pictures that come up if you just search 'chow chow' they seem to appear alot more subtle than pictures ive seen
PorschaLei
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PorschaLei »

Heres my bundle of joy calypso
I wish she would come into full coat
mowgli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mowgli »

what about my baby? is she more of a long or a short snout?
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

mowgli wrote:Image
what about my baby? is she more of a long or a short snout?
I'm seeing more open face with yours.
applebear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by applebear »

ilovemysmoothie! wrote:Oh my, so many beautiful variations to our beloved chows! If I could I would have one of every type!

We have decided on getting LB a little brother. We told the breeder we don't care about coat or colour... so our fingers are crossed that everything goes as planned with the breeding this February/March!!! The parents (who we met this past summer) are GORGEOUS, both smooth, with the mom having a more open face and the dad with a closed face... so who knows that will happen! This "searching for our new chowling" has been a work in progress for over a year now... so I really hope that everything works out

PS Little Bear is currently sleeping on my feet... keeping them warm, but also making them fall alseep... she looks so peaceful I don't have the heart to wake her!!!
I realize this post itself is fairly old, but I'm curious about breeding smooth to smooth. I have read many places it should be smooth to rough, but I am not sure of the reasoning. I read one place that bred smooth to smooth and felt there was no good reasons, only that smooth to smooth tended to produce shorter coats? It's kind of like I've read a couple places you shouldn't breed cream to cream, yet I've seen some do it as well.

My pup was from a smooth and rough breeding. All the pups were smooth. Like I said, it's more of a curiosity thing and was wondering what the reasons were behind this one.
mowgli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mowgli »

okay=) i hope she grows up like her dad=) he looks awesome