Tippsy was attacked tonight...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Tippsy was attacked tonight...

Post by Tippsy'smom »

when I was taking she and Jazz for their walk. It was some black lab mix dog. I never saw the dog coming. I had to kick it in the head to get him to let her go. Tip's alright, all he got was a mouth full of fur, but we're all shaken. Now I'm scared to take them out... :?
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Tippsy was attacked tonight...

Post by bama »

I'm so sorry, I hope Tipsy is alright! If you are like me, I get so frustrated with people for letting their dogs roam unattended?
I think it is the dog's keeper that needs a swift kick in the head, not the poor dog, but you must do what you must do
to keep your furkids safe!
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

poor thing, just keep loking for any punctures wounds.
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

So sorry Jess. It is a horrid thing to happen. :(
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

CARRY A STICK WITH YOU THAT YOU CAN WIELD WITH EASE
jacqui
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jacqui »

I'm sorry Tippsy got attacked Jess. Thats always my biggest fear when I'm walking Chyna & Kai.
Its seems there are so many loose dogs here in Georgia :-x It sure takes the joy out of walking!
Hope you're both alright.
Kito Feb 4, 2006 - July 1,2007
Kai Mar.15 2007 - Aug. 26,2010
And when my time comes I will not go alone for my Chows will be there to say "Welcome Home".
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope Tippsy and you are o.k.!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Jess, I must agree with a walking stick or something. Sounds like animal control in your area is not something people take seriously. Where I live if you call animal control they will fine the owners for no leash. Or they will pick the dog up . Each offense the price goes up. We have alot of highschool track runners that run through the area and I swear those kids have it on speed dial the animal control number. Which I don't blame them..most people in the area are very respectful and leash their dogs or confine them if they have a yard. Its almost like if you see a dog wandering you know its lost.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

I know how you feel Jess. I can't walk Kearra in my neighborhood for the same reason. I cross a major hwy to walk in a new subdivision. Kearra was attacked by a big boxer down my street. She wasn't hurt just scared the beeegeees out of me. Nothing like a dog fight at your feet. :shock: I think a walkin' stick is a great idea. Do you know who owns the dog??

Thanks Sweetpea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

bama wrote:I'm so sorry, I hope Tipsy is alright! If you are like me, I get so frustrated with people for letting their dogs roam unattended?
I think it is the dog's keeper that needs a swift kick in the head, not the poor dog, but you must do what you must do
to keep your furkids safe!
I didn't like having to kick the dog, but it was seriously the only thing I could do.
Swerve wrote:poor thing, just keep loking for any punctures wounds.
I've checked her over again this morning and she's fine, not even jumpy about me touching the area.
Michael's Maggie May wrote:CARRY A STICK WITH YOU THAT YOU CAN WIELD WITH EASE
I use to have a walking stick, then my brother broke it, so I'll have to settle for a wooden baseball bat for now.
jacqui wrote:I'm sorry Tippsy got attacked Jess. Thats always my biggest fear when I'm walking Chyna & Kai.
Its seems there are so many loose dogs here in Georgia :-x It sure takes the joy out of walking!
Hope you're both alright.
Thanks Jacqui. We're both alright. I'm not near as shaken as I was last night. And you're right, it does take the joy out of walking.
CoraP. wrote:I'm sorry to hear this. I hope Tippsy and you are o.k.!
Thank you, too, Paula.
chowpups wrote:Jess, I must agree with a walking stick or something. Sounds like animal control in your area is not something people take seriously. Where I live if you call animal control they will fine the owners for no leash. Or they will pick the dog up . Each offense the price goes up. We have alot of highschool track runners that run through the area and I swear those kids have it on speed dial the animal control number. Which I don't blame them..most people in the area are very respectful and leash their dogs or confine them if they have a yard. Its almost like if you see a dog wandering you know its lost.
I wish the people here were more like the people in your area. People down here just annoy the crap out of me.
vicster605 wrote:I know how you feel Jess. I can't walk Kearra in my neighborhood for the same reason. I cross a major hwy to walk in a new subdivision. Kearra was attacked by a big boxer down my street. She wasn't hurt just scared the beeegeees out of me. Nothing like a dog fight at your feet. :shock: I think a walkin' stick is a great idea. Do you know who owns the dog??
I wish there were another place I could walk them, but our's is the only neighborhood for a mile... I've never seen this dog before, so I'm thinking someone might have dumped him, he looked skiny.
Jess
Boo Daddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boo Daddy »

It really can be scary. When Boo was alive, my friend was out walking him and they were attacked by two pit bulls. My frined had bits on his hands, arms and inner thighs., but the mostly attacked Boo. He laid down and it seems they mostly got fur as well...but he did have a nasty puncture on his belly. A neighbor came to the rescue and got the dogs off with a metal baseball bat. It was horrible. You were very lucky.
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

So scary! Glad you are alright. Have you seen the dog around the neighborhood since the attack???
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

What happened to the dog after you hit him? I really sorry to hear about the attack, I would be shaken up too!
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Glad she is alright. Thank God for super duper Chow fur. It's a protection for them against the elements and also dogs that are apparently unsupervised. People don't realize when you take on the care of a dog that means just that, CARE and SUPERVISON and CONTROL of that dog. Boneheaded people.
Gene
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Thank y'all.

I haven't seen the dog since... But I've watched more carefully. After I hit him, he took off and disappeared into the woods... Where he went fromthere, I don't know...
Jess
sdasilva27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdasilva27 »

Hi Jess, I'm just now seeing this. I'm so sorry that Tippsy got attacked and you had to kick it. I'm really glad that she's okay though.

We had a fight go down while walking Keeta. A large bully mix attacked Keeta. Joey was able to pick him up because the other dog just got more aggressive and whatnot when Keeta tried to fight back. With his lack of teeth and dulled down teeth, he would have gotten brutally hurt. The dog did jump up and grab onto his rear foot (right after he hurt his front leg!). After we got the dog to stop, he put Keeta down and he left a huge paw print of blood on the ground. I was so scared and thought I was going to have to take him in for stitches. Luckily by the time we got home, I cleaned it really well, and we saw that the initial bleeding was because the other dog tore the skin in between two toes.

It was horrifying though, nothing like the fights between Kenzie and Keeta. I feel your frustration. Not many of my neighbors leash their dogs at all and the ones that do, drop the leash so their dog can "socialize and play." Calling animal control doesn't work for us either. We live on what used to be farm land so they pretty much laugh at me on the phone. The only time they came out was when a huge bull had gotten out of a nearby farm and was standing at the end of our street :shock: