i hate squirrels!!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

i hate squirrels!!

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

It's a good thing Little Bear is such a cutie pie... I almost left her in the dog park this afternoon!!!!

I just got back from an on leash walk with Little Bear and it was horrible. Normally she is an excellent walker, but today was brutal, she was all over the place. It was one of the first really warm "spring like" days, and there were lots of rabbits and squirrels darting about - she went crazy! She almost pulled me over numerous times, and when I got control of her (which basically consisted of me running in the opposite direction of the animal), she literally put up a temper tantrum that would rival a 2 year old. It was embarassing all the noise she was making - I was scared people would think I was hurting her!! :oops:

Does this happen with your chows? How do I teach her to not dart after squirrels and rabbits?

Also - if she was to actually catch one (which I realize is highly unlikely)... would she kill it? Despite my dislike for them, I would hate for that to happen!! :cry:
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: i hate squirrels!!

Post by CoraP. »

Molly and Dusty both go crazy if they see a squirrel or chipmunk dart across the road we walk on. Molly tries to run! I have a hard time getting them to slow down. Sometimes I have to cut the walk short because I get tired of fighting with them! I imagine if they got a hold of one, they would probably kill it. It's their instinct.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Does the following picture, taken as Loha was looking at a ground squirrel, answer your question ?
squirrelpull.jpg
squirrelpull.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 30615 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Tippsy is the same way, Jasper doesn't really care to try to chase critters. But I'm pretty sure she'd kill a squirrel if she got hold of it.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

hahahaha Loha looks JUST like Little Bear!!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

We have squirrels that irritate my two in the backyard. We know that particular hunting bark - Nahkohe has an especially obnoxious (sp?) bark. They will run over and through anything if the squirrel jumps from tree to tree in the yard. So far, they have only one kill - I wasn't around but my DH said it was a horrible experience hearing the poor squirrel meet it's demise. If we ever came across one during a walk - I think it would be extremely hard to control them on the leash - I have visions of me being drug down the street hanging onto the leash. #-o
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If it helps, the over-excitedness goes down a bit as they age. It never goes away, however.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

LOL That pic is PERFECT!!! Kearra looks exactly like that :lol: Squirrels, other dogs or cats :roll: Kyra caught 2 squirrels in her day and yes she killed them. Kearra much to her dismay has never caught one but it's her lifelong dream. She has however managed to catch a dove and much to my own surprise....with a mouth full of feathers she didn't hurt the dove and it flew away after I got it away from her. I think she is all bark and no bite and only wants to play with them :lol: Never the less I have to always be prepared for a visual and hold on tight just in case

Thanks Sweetpea!
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Butters hasn't ever caught one but he certainly looses his furry little head when he sees them. He has dragged me into a tree! I hit it face first. Seeing squirrels also makes him think he can climb trees as well. He keeps trying to follow them up there!!!
SweetPea Rocks!!
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

same issue here :D
pong lovesssssss squirrels, cats, birds.....leaves....sticks.....anything that moves attract his attention. :lol:
he doesnt bark yet...only 6 months....it only happened like 5 times that he barked...and he seems as surprised as me when the lil sound comes out of his mouth hehe....anyways, I just got him an easy walk harness (after all the comments/reviews on this forum) and its a miracle!!!!!! He walks properly!!!! Wow, my bf and I still can't believe how amazing that harness is....he used to pull both of us all over....and he's not fully grown yet!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep, squirrels, chipmonks, birds...I've learned to detest them all. Both my two go nuts when they see them, and yes they did catch one once, (stupid squirrel ran into them instead of away...) it died, in about half a second. The one thing I like about summer is I walk them really early in the morning, and late at night when the critters have gone to bed!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

First I was jealous of the snow pics section, now I'm jealous of all the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks( I thought chipmunks were a make believe thing ie the kids movie etc)
I do understandthe pulling and chasing them would be annoying to say the least, but I love little furry animals, (not mice or rats). In Brisbane, the only thing we have are possums and only at night running up trees or along the fence line, Hugo isn't too bothered by them though. Would love a pic of a chipmunk and squirrel..
Have a great day.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

sq1.jpg
sq1.jpg (29.27 KiB) Viewed 30505 times
sq2.jpg
sq2.jpg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 30504 times
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Thank you Loha's dad. It looks sweet.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

As we've posted in the past, critters is FOOD!!

That said neither fur kid is allowed to disrespect us. No launching after critters, when with mom and dad. Off leash in the ravines it's food hunting time! They have and will catch the little teasers.

The shot of the fur kid pulling on the leash, body and weight pushed as far out as possible is exactly why one should have a long lead that can drag along the ground. Then just step on it. Transferring all that energy to momma earth. Trust us it works a charm. After some time your fur kids will be very attentive no matter what the situation.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Just yesterday Nikki tried to dig out under the fence for a baby rabbit. I wish they all would go to the next yard and leave ours alone .. Nikki was doing so good for a while here. I just had knee surgery Mon. so I was out side with crutches trying to keep her from completely digging out and what a scene that was.. And I knew she was after something cause of the strange bark normally she never barks out there. Nikki is now grounded to the house till hubby gets home.. or on to the lead tied out.. If I can manage it.. Iam not about to screw up surgery at this point.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Chowpups Kearra does the same bark...she has a squirrel bark and a different cat bark. No bunnies here although I found a bunny head and tail once :shock: Have no idea where the heck it came from since I've never seen a bunny here. I always know the difference from someone is out there and a critter. Every single time she digs out it is to get after either or. Drives me crazy!!
I used to love squirrels BUT not no more!!!
Glad you didn't hurt your knee....hope it gets better soon.

Thanks Sweetpea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Vicster things are going okay w/knee surgery getting ready for the second knee surgery next. Thank you. but I definitely don't like spring anymore around here. Just too many critters .. groundhogs, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, deer, moles, mice, possums, snakes,frogs,kittens, and blue jays (I think they are blue jays) that attack Nikki.. And where is this food chain thing they talk about. Shouldn't some of these be eliminated???
Nikki is not fond of the new outdoor lead she is now on.. she just sits there and won't move.. until the blue jays swoop down at her..
bubbybear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bubbybear »

When I first got Sheba almost got a squirrel. We would laugh because after that it only had part of its tail left. It contiued to tease Sheba for a few years. Tyton is off to a good start he already got one squirrel this spring.
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

Have you guys seen UP? Everytime I think or read squirrel, I think of the movie! haha
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I haven't seen UP is it a cartoon type movie? If it is I'll watch it next weekend with my Grandson.. Are there pesky squirrels in it????LOL
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

chowpups wrote:I haven't seen UP is it a cartoon type movie? If it is I'll watch it next weekend with my Grandson.. Are there pesky squirrels in it????LOL
UP is a cartoon movie. :) It's an amazing movie. :P When th dog in the movie hear the word squirrel, or see a squirrel they perk up "hunting"it and go "SQUIRREL!" :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
noreaster
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by noreaster »

When Brandy was just 10 weeks old she caught a blue jay in mid-flight, that was the last time it zoomed her head. Bye-bye birdie!!!!

And Tucker wasn't a bit phased when momma bear sauntered up to the porch to check him out - they just looked at each other, like hmmmm....haven't seen you here before!
But when squirrels ran across the yard he flew off the porch, chased them up the trees and then tried to climb up after them!!! I don't think he ever figured out they were just taunting him....
dogbuddy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dogbuddy »

Loha'sDad wrote:
sq1.jpg
sq2.jpg
Though they're kinda cute, they can really be so annoying!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Noreaster, it must be a blue jay Nikki is being bothered by.. At first I thought she rolled in some dead animal cause the stupid bird was almost pecking at her back. Nikki jumped back and tried to catch it but missed but this has happened twice this week they keep buzzing her.. I never saw this before.