New Chow Owner - Toe Nail Question...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ha Ha Ha
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow Owner - Toe Nail Question...

Post by Ha Ha Ha »

Hi all, I rescued a wonderful Chow Chow - Belgian Groenendael mix about 7 weeks ago.

We live in Brooklyn, New York. Everything has been going splendid with him. :lol:

Lately, I've noticed when he's walking the house, his toe nails seem to be making more noise on the floors than they first did when I got him.

I've read that dogs that do most of their walking on concrete, (we walk on average 2.5 hours on NYC streets a day) will typically trim down their nails as they walk. And he frequently wipes his rear paws on the streets after doing his business.

So...my question is, do I need to have his nails trimmed, or will his walking on the pavement/concrete keep the nail lengths in check?

I've been lurking here for a while and looking forward to being an active member of this wonderful community.

Thanks.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow Owner - Toe Nail Question...

Post by chowpups »

Welcome and I too walk my dog on pavement and she runs around 1/4 on pavers in the back yard and 3/4 grass so we noticed the back nails got trimmed down more than the front from her pushing off the pavers to run in the back. (we think) and yes we take her for nail trimming and our costs are a little higher than chowlings anywhere from 10/15.00 .. The vet charges the higher price and the groomers the lesser, but the vet really gets them better.. so its worth it to me. Nikki still has her dew claws so those curl and need trimming more than anything.. she will let me trim them but its just easier for me to have someone do it right.. rather than me fooling around..and cutting her quik.(sp?)
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Walking my chow everyday keeps her nails very short without ever needing them trimmed. I'm not familiar with your mixed breed so maybe the feet are a little different. Chows stand on their toes which is a little different than other dogs. I have a neighbor with 2 chihuahua's that she does not walk and I trim their nails with a Dremel grinding tool. You must look into these for they are really neat and no way will you cut too deeply. There are all kinds of advice on the internet about using this tool. Good luck
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two walk/run on pavement most of the time so their nails are naturally trimmed.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Mine walk on pavement 90% of the time and their nails stay nice and short, the only ones I have to worry about trimming are Dreamdancer's dew claws.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!