General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Walking 2 dogs

Post by Hugo »

Hi
It's finally starting to cool down here enough for a good 20min walk and me not freaking out that I'm going to kill my chow. Anyway so I have been walking my 8 mnth chow in a Gentle Leader Easy Walk Chest Harness and the spoodle has the same, problem is the spoodle likes to go flat out the whole time and chow boy goes well for most of it then slows right down. So it gets kind of hard to negotiate them. If I were to walk them separatley the one left at home would be screaming the place down for the entire time. Any suggestions! Occasionally my son comes too,which is a help cause he runs with the spoodle. Most of the time it's just me walking them though.
Hope this isn't too ridiculous.
Thanks in advance.
kingalls

Re: Walking 2 dogs

Post by kingalls »

Our 2 have to be "walked" individually as they are very different like yours. Nahkohe likes to run while Shiloh trots and likes to sniff everything. Sometimes I make Nahkohe wait for his "sister" and he is okay to do that but once Shiloh catches up, he's off running again. I don't have any advise other than having your son help more.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I wal both of mine together. I like you, can't leave one home because they'll pitch a fit, but when I walk I make Jazz slow down to Tippsy's pace which he "complains" about most of the time.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I always used to walk my dogs on the left as you do. But when Winston came along taht all changed. Duff is 10 and knows what he is doing but also very set in his ways. We got him from the pound at age 6.

Anyhow I normally walk Duff on my right and Winston on my left and keep the leash short so they walk with chest next to legs. Works well and once they start behaving and walking normally, ie once the excitment eases, I will let them sniff etc in places. I have sections where it;s there soace and they can sniff and I follow hand on leash.

Good luck as they can be a handfull, i always thought my last dog a 52kg rottie was bad, but when you think Duff 28kg, Winston 28kg and then double the traction, they ave more pulling power then the past rottie. so important to be able to handle them.

Can you post some photos of Hugo as I'm hanging to see him :)

Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
chowhuskylass
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowhuskylass »

with having 7 dogs, i walk the huskies only separately due to their higher energy needs, all 3 chow girls walk together unless one is injured and they accept being left, if they get a little upset it does pass and quickly, but you must be strong when it sets in,

i do from time to time take and leave one behind i do this as no matter what will i have, one day one will leave for pastures new and go where we cannot follow i try to prepare them by helping them cope alone, and we have a rule we walk to the slowest dog that's my rule and they follow me if one gets ahead they get corrected by being stopped and brought back with training to walk respectfully on the lead group walking should not be a problem.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

For now, I'd walk at the chow's pace, as it cools off and he gets stronger and his stamina builds he may learn to keep up with the spoodle, Dreamdancer was slower when he was little but since I got him in mid summer, but the time fall rolled around he was more than able to keep up with Firesong, now she has slowed down a little, so he has to walk at her pace, he doesn't like it but that's the way it is.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

thank you all very much.
Swerve, I will post pics soon. I need my husbandto do this as I'm not very comp savvy.
Michelle
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

OK, Hugo sent me some pic's and here they are, my wife and I just love the sand pic !!! She has promptly shown all her work friends. Just love it LOL

I'll let Hugo comment on the fur kids

RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Aww...so cute!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi all
Thank you so much Swerve for your help!
1st pic, Hugo was 8 weeks old.
2nd pic in the sandpit he was between 5-6mnths I think
3rd pic is Horten our Spoodle (crazy)
4th and 5th pic are the most recent and he is now 9 mnths.
Sorry I don't have any of him standing up.
Have a great day.
Thanks again Swerve.
Michelle (Hugo's mum )
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Hugo, those are adorable pictures.. love the sand too.. You have a cute group there all of them..
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

Hugo has gotten so big & Handsome!!! Nice pics
I LOVE the sand box one!!!

Thanks Sweetpea!