what is your chow chow's weight?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: what is your chow chow's weight?

Post by kitten1426 »

Our female chow is 51 lbs at 17 months old...

And our male chow is 12 months old...he is over 70 lbs...probably 75 ish....Im thinking he mite get to 90-100 lbs when fully grown...

I see everyone talking about weight how about Height?....Mia our female chow is 22 inches at the shoulders...and Kodi is around 25 inches at the shoulders..he is a tall Boy...

Just measured to the top of his head standing he is like 32 inches ...pretty big..lol...tall as a dining room table..
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Staceyvd
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Staceyvd »

Lexi just turned 6 months and weighs 35lbs. I think she's going to be a pretty big girl which works for me! I need a big cuddly counterpart to my little skinny chihuahua haha
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ty is about 75lbs. He fluctuates and hasn't hit 80 but, closest has been 78. I used to worry he was getting fat. But then I bath him and he's skinny. So between the fur and the muscle he's a bigger boy. Haven't tried the height, as he's not a huge fan of the tap measurer.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

How old is Ty?...Kodi is 12 months and like i said over 70 already Im sure he has alot more to fill out...samething when he gets a bath he does look thin too...He has tree trunks for legs and huge paws...lol...
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Rio is around the 30 pound mark, he has chunky bear like paws!!! You know about it when he 'accidently' stands on your foot. (He is 16 weeks old)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Kitten- Ty is almost at the 16 month mark. So a year and like four months almost.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

TyChowgirl wrote:Kitten- Ty is almost at the 16 month mark. So a year and like four months almost.

Ok cool thanks...I read here i think it take almost 3 yrs for a male chow to fully fill ot any truth to that?
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

My Apollo weighs 5.9 kilos at 3 mos. We checked his weight just this week. He's turning 4 mos on the 23rd :) is it a normal weight for a pup his age?
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Ylaartim wrote:My Apollo weighs 5.9 kilos at 3 mos. We checked his weight just this week. He's turning 4 mos on the 23rd :) is it a normal weight for a pup his age?
Wow i think thats small underweight honestly...thats like 13 lbs????....4 months...I can look back but im pretty sure Kodi was like 20-30 lbs at that age....My Airedale pup at 6-1/2 weeks yes i said weeks was 10 lbs and by 7-1/2 like 13-15 lbs...Maybe its me but does he eat enough? how much you feeding him?
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

I feed him 3x a day. He's on vitamins too. The vet said his weight is fine since he has a splayed leg and cannot have much weight. His bad leg will have a hard time supporting his body. And he's a compact size chow:)
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

He's a bit over 3mos since he turned 3 mos last May 23:)
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Ok makes sense if he has a bad leg...And i heard there are 2 different size chows...We have an old school BIG chow...lol....he has tree trunks for legs...LOL...i have to get a picture up of him...
PCC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PCC »

My two girls were 45 lbs. Dim Sum is about 70-73.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Ursa, female, weight 45 pounds. She is a little fat, and we do watch her food and weight. Malachi, male, was 78 pounds! when I weighed him last month. That is a little over the 72-75 pounds we try to maintain, so he will have to get a little less food and walk a little more. I try to take them out to petsmart about once a month and get them weighted just to keep track. Checking the ribs is also a good way to check.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Ursa- I like Ty at about 75 because I don't think he's going to get any taller or longer.One day we'll take him in and he'll be about 75, another he'll be about 78. I worry he's getting fat all the time! But some days he won't even eat a whole bowl of food (he's a free feeder because he's picky and our schedules are screwed up, so we're fortunate he's not a gorger), I can feel his ribs (once you get past the fur) and he gets lots of exercise for an apartment dog. The vet poster says ideal weight should be 70 at its highest, but I read multiple places they can top out at 85?
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

1 month further, my male chow Chakra is now 28.5 kilo ( 62.8 lb)
he is big :shock:
he still grows 1 kilo (2.2 lb) a month

when I walk with him, people think he is an adult dog.........

does anybody have (had) a chow that has grows so fast?
I am curious how big he will get.

my old chow had a weight of 32 kilo (70.5) when he was adult.
I thought he was big.......
PorschaLei
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by PorschaLei »

Calypso weighs out around 35lbs shes 2 now shes a small girl
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Since my last posting on here Cindy, Rio has gained 7lbs. So I guess he is gaining in a similar way to your boy. I do hope he slows down soon though, he weighs 18kgs ( I'm only 60kgs and he can pull hard)
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

thanks for your reply.
same story here, 62 kg here for me, and he can pull really hard when spotted a cat or a rabbit ect.
he is also dominant towards other dogs already.
I've been monetoring his growth from the beginning and it seems to go in a steady line.
So I guess when he is 1 year old he will be a 30 kg chow.
I am curious how fast his growth will be from 1 to 2 years.

Its crazy, his 1 month older girlfriend looks really small when standing next to him, but she grows in a normal way, she ain't little

you see :) crazy.... (picture is from 20 - 3 - 2012)
http://www.lake-nyassa.nl/images/divers ... n_maxi.jpg
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Kodi is almost 13 months old...we havent weighed him in awhile...were guessing 75 ish pounds...He is very tall tho...25 inches at the shoulders...when standing tall...the top of his head is like 31 inches tall..He is a big boy were thinking he mite top out anywhere from 85-100 lbs...if its true that they dont stop filling out till like 3 yrs old...WOW thats all i can say...
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

YIKES!!!!!!! kitten
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Rio wrote:YIKES!!!!!!! kitten

Is that bad?....LOL...he isnt Fat at all..you can feel His rids... :D ...Just a big Boy...Or female chow she is about 22 -1/2 at the shoulders and she weighs 51 lbs..she is 17 months old...
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

Chakra is 10 and a half months old now, and is 21.5 inches at the shoulder
You can feel his rids too.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

No I don't think thats bad kitten (sorry) more of a YIKES big doggy ;)
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Rio wrote:No I don't think thats bad kitten (sorry) more of a YIKES big doggy ;)
Ohhhh ok..Yeah he is.Here is A picture of him about 2 months ago....he is alot bigger...lol...You can see our female chow in the background..lol