Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: what is your chow chow's weight?

Post by baddictbidyos »

King is turning 3 months next week, weighs 12 lbs :)ImageImage
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

My two hover round the 58-60 lbs weight...one is definitely a mix and the other is mostly Chow but probably has something else in his bloodline...something that barks a lot #-o
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Yes I'm a nerd as i have all Winstons weights.

11 weeks – 7.96kg (17.5 Lbs)
3 months – 8.56kg (18.8 Lbs)
5 months – 17.4kg (38.4 Lbs)
5.5 months – 19.4kg (42.7 Lbs)
6 months – 21 kg (46.3 Lbs)
7 months – 24kg (52.9 Lbs)
8.5 months – 25kg (55.1 Lbs)
9.5 months – 25.5kg (56.2 Lbs)
10 months – 27kg (59.5 Lbs)
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
cmyers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cmyers »

My chows are known for bone and substance and weigh between 70 lbs and 85 lbs.
Chows come in all sizes and shapes, depending on breeding...........
Caryl Myers
Cejam Chows
www.cejamchows.com
Caryl Myers
Cejam Chows
http://www.cejamchows.com
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

to swerve: dont worry, me too.....doing the same thing as you :D so i guess, im a nerd too hehe...

wowwwwwwwwwwww king is soooooo adorable, the second pic is so cute!!!! He does look like a king, with all his accessories and his attitude. Adorable! :wink:
proten
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by proten »

i have found a good indicator about how big your chow chow will get is the size of their feet and legs. years ago, when my father and I imported our chow chows from Austrailia, we noticed for 8 week old puppies, how huge their feet and legs were. My father told me based on my grandmothers chow chow raising, that the size of the feet and legs are an indicator of how large they will grow when they are adults. True to form! Aussie, our female weighed in between 85 to 90 lbs. Sam, the male was between 100 to 105 lbs.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I had to take Lily to the vet monday, and Pip, my Chowder (Chow/Lab mix) came with because she was getting cabin fever. Pip will be 14 next month, and at her heaviest was 68 pounds. I put her on a reduced calorie diet, and she dropped to 63. She has been at 63 for the last 4 years, but I weighed her at the vet, and she was 57 pounds! I was so happy for her, and proud I kept up the regimen. It is not easy to get a breathing rug to lose weight!
hayleedog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hayleedog »

-Hannah just had her 1st vet visit today, I was very proud of her, she did very well

she is 16 months old and weighs 47 pounds
dizzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dizzy »

bungle male 3 year old his weight is 59.4 lbs last time i checked
cipollina
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cipollina »

This is very interesting to read since I have worried about my chow's weight. He is 41lb at 14 months and has been the same weight for the last six months now. I've been so worried i've over exercised him but he's a superfit and healthy little boy, loves running fast and jumping high in the air, and is not interested in food. But now reading this I see they come in all sizes, I guess mine is just a smaller version (he was the last of the litter, perhaps that has something to do with it).
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

got Pong's weight this week....so far:
at 6 weeks old: approx 10 lbs
at 13 weeks old: approx 15 lbs
at 15 weeks old: approx 31 lbs
at 18 weeks old: approx 41 lbs
and now at 23 weeks: 49lbs!!!!!

and i've attached his latest pics
Attachments
pong geek
pong geek
IMG_0666.JPG (45.45 KiB) Viewed 60375 times
so handsome hehe
so handsome hehe
IMG_0648.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 60378 times
artistic pong<br />serious pong with glasses
artistic pong
serious pong with glasses
IMG_0633.JPG (36 KiB) Viewed 60373 times
maryfbex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maryfbex »

Hi! I just joined this site. I have an 11-year old female black chow named Queenie who is totally opposite of what everyone says about them (except that her only trick is "sit" and only because she wants a treat!). This past October we rescued a chow pup from Pensacola who's mother is just kept tied up (not spayed) in the backyard. There were 3 pups, a cream, a cinnamon, and a black. I wanted the runt, and boy did I get her! Actually, when my husband went up to Alabama to get her, since we had first pick, he really wanted the cream chow, but the rescue group thought the black one would be a better fit. What was I going to do, discriminate, so I got another black chow. She and my older dog get along fine. The "old Lady" as we like to call her, just barks a little when the now 1 year old pup grabs her hind legs and tries to "take her down".She is very tolerant. My chows love my cat, in fact the cat used to try to "nurse" off the old one when he was about 4 months old. "The Old One" was old then, and both my chows are spayed so it was very funny! The dog would just lay there and look at the cat as if to say, "What the....?", but never reacted, just went back to sleep. She's a great dog! She's been a big gentle bear since she was a puppy. Even my kids could climb all over her when they were just crawling and she would just lick them all over or, if extremely agitated, she just walks away and hides in another room! This new puppy, however, has more of the traditional personality. She's a little "nippy" and more of a guard dog. For some reason, she also likes to chase birds, squirrels, lizards, anything, which my older chow never really bothered with. My 'question" is this, the new Chow, now a year old. is very small. She is a female, so I know they are smaller anyway, and my older one was also a "runt",but she is now a healthy 47 pound dog. Do chows take a little longer to "fill out" and grow to their full potential? Stormy, the young dog, will only eat about a cup at a time, food mixed with warm H2O. Any more than that and, if she eats too fast, she throws some up? She will eat about 2 cups a day, compared with 'The Old One", who east about 3- cups a day, depending on her exercise that day. Should I be worried about my new chow? She is more active and seems like more of a "hyper" chow (if that's even possible), so could her wt. issue improve as she gets older and slower? Also, she actually does tricks! Sit, stay, shake, lay down, come, turn rt. and left. , my old chow would never deign to do stupid stuff like that! Mary in Palm Bay, FL
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

maryfbex wrote: Should I be worried about my new chow? She is more active and seems like more of a "hyper" chow (if that's even possible), so could her wt. issue improve as she gets older and slower? Also, she actually does tricks! Sit, stay, shake, lay down, come, turn rt. and left. , my old chow would never deign to do stupid stuff like that! Mary in Palm Bay, FL
You've got an original type chow. They were bred to hunt, guard, pull, and herd, they were origanlly an all purpose working dog with intelligence and a lot of energy. My Firesong is just like that, she eats about 2.25 cups of food each day, chases everything, barks at every noise, shadow, or suspected noise she hears. She will sit, stay, shake, give me five, lay down, go back, go up, up, come, turn, find her brother and a lot of other stuff. I work to keep her weight up to 40lbs, she'll drop to 37 or lower in a heartbeat. She is almost 10 years old and the only slowing down she's done is she doesn't pull on her leash any more, unless the squirrel is "right there mom, it's right there!" My Dreamdancer is a male version of the same, he eats the same amount and barely weighs 37lbs, I'd love to get him to 42 or 45...but I figure he has to calm down a little, I'll give him another 5 to 6 years to do that, he's only 4 and yeah he chases everything too.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha, at 3 years and 3 months is a trim, athletic 61 lbs.
one.jpg
one.jpg (97.81 KiB) Viewed 60236 times
VIOLET315
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by VIOLET315 »

my purebred 15 yrs old is 40lbs has been for several yrs
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Since we have the new addition..Goose is about 15 weeks and was 23 lbs last week
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Bella is a shortcake - weighing only 45lbs at 2 yrs old but Chumley, now he is gonna be huge (hopefully), at 6 1/2 months he weighs 61 lbs.
In my experience, puppies will gain weight quckly up to 6 months then weight gain slows down and they fill out. The bigger the chow the longer it takes until completely grown. I had one chow who was right at 80lbs but it was 2 years before he reached that.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

Lobis Cunami is still at 56 lbs and Teddy 46 lbs, they been the same weight since their 1st Birthday last December.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
kimigirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kimigirl »

ROSCOE's 2 months and 1 week. He's a brown/cinnamon compact chow. He was released to me at 6 weeks and had a respiratory infection and was put on antibiotics and had mange. He's recovered now and the spread of his bald spots have stopped. His appetite has increased immensely and is now very active and energetic. Being in the Philippines, most of the puppies are ill until they find a good home.

At 6 weeks, he weighed 1.6 kg. (3.52 lbs.).
After recovery at 8 weeks, he weighed 2.5 kg. (5.5 lbs)
at 9 weeks, 3.2 kg. (7.04 lbs.

He's growing fast and gaining weight too.
ROSCOE
[dob. Aug. 13, 2010]
jesn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jesn »

Hi, I know this thread has been inactive for sometime.... but I was wondering how I can tell if my chow is at a right weight? Its hard to tell from all that fur!! I've tried searching for his ribs very thoroughly but I seriously can't feel them but I'm not sure if its from all that fur or if he's actually too well-padded.... he's only 35lbs at 5months 1 week old so that seems pretty normal from all the other posts on this thread...

He eats Solid Gold WolfCub large breed puppy food and he gets about 4 cups a day with some treats from training sessions. He's always hungry when I feed him so I don't know if I should decrease his food intake? My vet says that puppies should eat as much as they want while they are growing unless they get to be overweight... so far he hasn't said that my chow is overweight but its also been about a month since he's inspected him... hmm so what do you guys think?
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

jesn wrote:Hi, I know this thread has been inactive for sometime.... but I was wondering how I can tell if my chow is at a right weight? Its hard to tell from all that fur!! I've tried searching for his ribs very thoroughly but I seriously can't feel them but I'm not sure if its from all that fur or if he's actually too well-padded.... he's only 35lbs at 5months 1 week old so that seems pretty normal from all the other posts on this thread...

He eats Solid Gold WolfCub large breed puppy food and he gets about 4 cups a day with some treats from training sessions. He's always hungry when I feed him so I don't know if I should decrease his food intake? My vet says that puppies should eat as much as they want while they are growing unless they get to be overweight... so far he hasn't said that my chow is overweight but its also been about a month since he's inspected him... hmm so what do you guys think?
Hmmm, well, at 35lbs he doesn't sound overweight, but the fact that you can't feel his ribs, which you should be able to do is worrying. A puppy's bones are growing and soft and his joints can be damaged if he is too heavy at such a young age. I'd like to know his activity level. Do you walk him, does he have time and space to do "Zoomies" to rough house? Also I've had chows up to 73lbs and not one of them has ever eaten 4 cups of food in a day, the most was 3.5 and that was my big boy and home made food, on kibble it has always been 3 cups or less. Also how are you feeding him, once a day or twice? At his age he should still be eating twice a day, this will help him not over eat. And while Solid Gold is a great food, (my puppy also grew up on it) I mixed the WolfCub large breed puppy with Milenium adult. Chows aren't actually large breed, they are medium breed, and it would be so nice if someone would figure out a medium breed puppy food, but so far they haven't so a mixture of large breed, and regular, or just regular puppy food is best, I think. My puppy, (who is now four years old) is a little guy, he's approx. 40lbs now. At six months a puppy is at 50% of his adult body weight, (according to some charts I've read and stuff in the health section of this site) Your guy may end up at about 60lbs, a nice average weight for a male chow. I've had five males and when I average out their healthy weights it comes to 58.4lbs.

So overall, maybe decrease the Wolfcub and mix with Milenium, increase his daily exercise to help build good strong lean muscle, (inspite of everything you may read about how "lazy" chows are, they should all be able to walk at a nice steady fast pace for 3 miles at the very least) Your chow should feel solid to you, and nice cubby strong body, with evident powerful muscle tone. (cubby means a square body type, with good breadth of chest, shoulders and hips) I wish more of the smooth chows were shown because it's easier to see the proper body type with them than with the roughs. I hope all this helps. And we'd like to see pictures...
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by valerierichard27 »

i think Romeo is over-weight, hes 5 months and weighs 43 pounds LOL
J & C
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by J & C »

Biscuit was 3 months old yesterday-vet appointment today and she weighed in at 21lbs.
Attachments
MIYUKI OVERNIGHT 086.jpg
MIYUKI OVERNIGHT 086.jpg (240.46 KiB) Viewed 59978 times
Blackbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blackbear »

Our Bear is 11yrs old and weighs 26Kg. Jet is 12weeks and is 9.8Kg. He is eating slightly less than 4 cups of food per day and would eat more if you let him. He has legs like tree trunks and seems to be growing in front of our eyes.
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

my 9 months old male chow's weight is 27.5 kg. (60.6 lbs)

my 10 months old female chow's weight is 19.3 kg (42.5 lbs)

my 12 years old female chow's weight is 24 kg. (52.9 lbs)

my old male chow's weight was 34.5 kg. (76 lbs)