General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

what is your chow chow's weight?

Post by ccyang »

hi everybody,
Pong is now almost 5 months old....and last time we checked his weight (approx 2-3 weeks ago), he was 41lbs. I was wondering how big will he get as an adult....so my question is, how much does your chow weight? It will be very helpful if you have a puppy and just to share his weight also...just to make sure pong is ok :D ...not too fat/skinny.
Thank you soooo much
Attachments
pong in his deep sleep
pong in his deep sleep
IMG_0589.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 52202 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: what is your chow chow's weight?

Post by Tippsy'smom »

My purebred girl is 45 lbs. And my mix boy is 100lbs. ~lol~ I know your boy won't weigh that much. :D
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
atphiladelphia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atphiladelphia »

Both my chows are purebread...my girl is 50 lbs, and my male is 68 lbs (Fluctuates to about 72 dwpwnding on the season). I would say both my chows were done growing at about 1 year
  • Ashley & Chow babies, Tucker & Penny!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Both purebred. ShenLung (boy) fluctuates between 75-80lbs. FengHuang (girl) is a powerful 55lbs. She is about a 1/3 smaller than her brother but really is a 300lbs monster zipped into a cute cuddly mind altering package. When ShenLung is fully grown, still filling out, he will probably run 80-85lbs. Both are pure muscle, no fat, and massively stocky with huge powerful paws. Ours run for about 60-90 minutes daily in the ravines with us - hunting critters....

Yours sound find as long as you keep them healthy. As they get older you don't want excess weight, especially if they are not fit as the excess plays havoc with joints.

FengHuang just started jumping, down cliffs onto ice flows chasing ducks. I mean jumping out into the air, letting gravity take hold, accelerating down 4-5 feet and slamming all that mass into the ice and taking off at warp 3.... Scarred the bejeepers out of us!!! The ducks too!!! She's one it 2 days in a row now, higher the second day. Little monster.
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

hi again,
thanx for your replies so far....its very helpful...gives me an idea of what weight range he could be.
I find he's perfect now, 41 lbs approx....or a bit much since the last time we took his weight. I just find he grew wayyyyyyyyyyy too fast since we got him at 6 weeks old. Hopefully he's gonna stay for this for a while, so we can enjoy his "babyness" :lol:
anyways, hell always be a baby to me. hehe....my bf says i overprotect him, even if he can drag me when we're outside lol
Attachments
pong chilling on the couch
pong chilling on the couch
IMG_0567.JPG (41.93 KiB) Viewed 53004 times
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Max and Zeena are both AKC registered purebreds. Max is reaching 3 years old at 75 lbs.plus? It's hard to pick him up, he's a load. Zeena just turned 2 and she is 60 lbs.
They have the same father, different mothers. Max is about 20 lbs. heavier than his father. The breeder freaked out when I brought him over to his house. Max was one year old then and he was bigger than all their Chows by far.

Gene.
Gene
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

my yogi is pure bread 1 year old and 47 lbs
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

My current two chows are little ones, Firesong weighs about 40lbs, Dreamdancer about 43.5lbs, Firesong is just right for her bone structure, I'd like to get Dreamdancer up to about 45-48lbs but I think it's impossible he's just too busy.

Darkwind was my heaviest boy at 72lbs my other males were between 57 and 62 lbs each. It really depends on their genes, chows have such a wide range of weights depending on their bone structure, the lighter boned, longer legged ones are of course lighter in the 40-60lb range while the heavier boned ones with the shorter legs seem to run from 55-80+lbs.

All my chows have been the longer legged, open faced ones that look a lot like the older type of chow.

And yes they do grow up very fast at 18 months a dog is pretty much adult weight and height, there is still some inner growing they do, many of the males will continue to fill out, (develope deeper more muscular chests) until they are about 3 years old. This is why they should never be bred until after 2 years of age so that their joints are finished growing and they can be tested properly.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lily is 36 pounds now at 4 and a half. She does not have much fur at the moment and looks really skinny to me, but the vet assures me she has excellent weight for her structure. She was 33 pounds for the longest time. I really fretted then. I could not get any weight on her, and didn't want to over feed and chance a bloat.
KageandHorton
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by KageandHorton »

Our puppy is almost six months old and he is around 35 pounds. He was 27 lbs at 4 months old.
Sylvia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sylvia »

Sweetie is 2 years old and normally weighs in somewhere between 50 and 52 lbs.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Coco is 2 years old and don't tell her but she's a good 61"...
Pong is a really cute puppy by the way!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Mountaindogs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mountaindogs »

I've had 4 chows and they have all weighed in around 50 lbs as adults. I love the size... just big enough to romp and play but not too big for me to handle.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Aesop is 74 lbs.

Rather than go by weight in telling if a dog is too heavy or too thin, I always feel through the fluff. I like to feel ribs slightly. I adjust food going by that
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

the feeling the ribs trick is a great idea.....
it surprising how the weight varies so much between the chow chows.....
To Mountaindogs:
wow....i must admit, 50lbs would be great for me also....i already have a hard time controlling pong when we go outside, and hes around 41 lbs.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Molly is a purebred, open faced chow. She is usually between 46 to 50 pounds.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

Lobis Cunami is 1 year old and weighs 56 lbs. Teddy weighs 46 lbs I think.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
bellabear27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellabear27 »

We have to purebred chows..
Bella is 2 years old and she weighs 38.5 lbs (she is a very small girl). When she was Pongs age she weighed between 25 and 30 lbs.
Our boy, Bruin, is 1 year old. He currently weighs 55 lbs. When he was 5 months old, he weighed just under 40 lbs.

Pong is very cute!! :inlove:

Tyler, Jenna, Bella & Bruin.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

last years weigh in at 2 yrs was 56 lbs. Nikki turned 3 in Nov.(don't have her weigh in sheet close by). and she may have gained 1 lb. or 2 but we won't tell her that. She thinks she still has her girly figure. LOL She hasn't been too active lately with the snow so not burning off but still consuming. Oh, my that sounds familar..
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Bramble is 17 months and weighs 54lbs. She is not fat and is quite small only just reaching the minimum breed standard size of 18" she may be just under.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
leisa75
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by leisa75 »

Zues just turned 3 and he's 70pounds...titan is a year and half old and he's 55 pounds ! I expect titan to be around 65-70pounds when he is done growing
thanks sweetpea
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

all your babies are so adorable and unique, it's amazing how different each chow looks!!!! :P
im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited, a friend of ours saw this puppy that looks like Pong at the dog park and it turns out that it's his brother!!!! He got his puppy at the same breeder and he was born the same date....the funny thing is we did meet him once when we brought Pong to his training classes. The world is so small :lol: cant wait, i so want pong to meet his brother!!! But like my boyfriend says, I'm more excited than Pong...he might not even recognize him. Doesnt matter, 2 chow chow puppies.....sooooooo cute!!!! a rare sight here....
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

As I was reading everyone's entries I realized my chow Little Bear (pure bred with CKC smooth coated chow) is BIG!!!
She weighs about 65 lbs!! She isn't overweight either... just solid muscle!! Maybe I should change her name to Big Bear!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

Colonel weighs around 48 lbs. The secret to his trim physic... He watches his weight, eats only good stuff and works out. :)
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

"Colonel weighs around 48 lbs. The secret to his trim physic... He watches his weight, eats only good stuff and works out."

lol.... :lol: