General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

karenmarie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: what is your chow chow's weight?

Post by karenmarie »

Hello All,
Haven't posted since April I believe, but I have popped in a few times to catch up :) . I thought I would let you know Bella is maintaining her girly figure at 22months 22 inches and 63 lbs , Bubba 9 months on July 3rd is still GROWING steadily 26 1/2 inches and 82 lbs. Both are very active and happy go lucky. Manny in his prime was 78 lbs and 25 inches (passed @ 13), Balou in his prime 86 lbs and 27 inches ( passed @15). I will post new pics soon. Take good care, Thanks for all the great posts and pics as always :D
Bella & Balou
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

@Rio

you were right, they grow in a similar way.
he is beautiful.
I am out of batteries, will buy new ones, and post a new picture of mine.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Measured Rio (finally) he is 16 inches to his shoulder Cindy, knowing him he has probably gained a few pounds too. Don't you just hate when batteries go dead!!!!
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

here pictures of my big boy Chakra, taken today, at the end of August he will be 1 year old
Gonna measure mine too, I am curious :)
(yeah I hate it when batteries die.....)

http://www.lake-nyassa.nl/images/divers ... gp8004.jpg
http://www.lake-nyassa.nl/images/divers ... gp8003.jpg
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Oh Cindy he is a stunner, he has such a regal stance. Lovely pictures. I noticed the tag on your pictures says Lake Nyassa, is that also known as Lake Malawi? Or am I confusing 2 lakes? :oops:
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

Rio wrote:Oh Cindy he is a stunner, he has such a regal stance. Lovely pictures. I noticed the tag on your pictures says Lake Nyassa, is that also known as Lake Malawi? Or am I confusing 2 lakes? :oops:
Yes, Lake Nyassa is the old name for Lake Malawi

Still looking for something to measure him..... (and I thought the quest for batteries was difficult)
I think, he thinks, he is regal :lol:
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Did you put your measuring device in a 'safe' place? LOL, I have loads of things in 'safe' places never to be seen again!!!!!
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

:lol: yep
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

are you sitting down? :lol:
I measured my boy.
he is 21,3 inch at the shoulder now :shock:
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Ok that's enough food for him!!!!!!!!!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Cindy wrote:are you sitting down? :lol:
I measured my boy.

How old is he now almost a year i think you said...?...Decent size...We wonder what we got..lol Kodi is 14 months old a little over 25 inches at the shoulders... :D
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Kitten I think you bought a bear not a Chow Chow!!!!!!
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Rio wrote:Kitten I think you bought a bear not a Chow Chow!!!!!!

LOL...No Our Bear which is Named Bear is our 14 month old Male Airedale...He stands 30 inches at the shoulders and weighs in at 100 lbs or more...we have a male collie which is 16-1/2 months old he is 27 inches at the shoulders...65 lbs...and our female chow she is 22-1/2 at the shoulders and weighs a little 51 lbs....lol....yes we have 4 dogs....
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

Blinking heck, do you collect big dogs???????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that big for an Airedale?
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Well Yes But he isnt a standard Airedale...he is an Oorang they were breed to be bigger...basically a working Airedale...But Bear is a little bigger then that...lol...He is a Big Boy....No we dont collect big dogs Growing up My Fiance had chows i had a Collie as a kid and then we got an Airedale...so we wanted our childhood dogs when we met so we did.... :)
Cindy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cindy »

kitten1426 wrote:
I measured my boy.

How old is he now almost a year i think you said...?...Decent size...We wonder what we got..lol Kodi is 14 months old a little over 25 inches at the shoulders... :D
he is 11 months now.
I googled Airdale, yours is big too, haha
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Cindy wrote:
kitten1426 wrote:
I measured my boy.

he is 11 months now.
I googled Airdale, yours is big too, haha

I will look back at our records i will let you know what Kodi was at 11 months so maybe you can get an idea how Big your chow will get...

Yeah you cant go by that Size for the Airedale..thats standard...When they came to America certain breeders devolped the Oorang strand...they were Breed to hunt and Kill bears,mountain lions,big game..If you look up Oorang or Jim thrope you will see what i mean...But yes he is way bigger then a standard Airedale...lol....
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooch »

My puppy Khan is 9 months old today and weighed in at 84 pounds. He's a big one, here is is at 76 pounds last month but has put 8 pounds on after getting his marbles chopped.

kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Is he full chow?...if so did you give him a trim?...
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooch »

Nope no trim, he's full both his parents are AKC, he just has smooth fir like my last black one.
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Both my Chows are purebreds, half brother and sister, same father, different mothers. Zeena is 65 lbs. and Max 85 lbs. Zeena can take Max down like he's nothing, even though she's lighter. Pure muscle, not fat on either one but, Max respects her, that's why she can do that. Max was pretty "chunky" when he was a pup, big paws and all and far as he was concerned, he was the Alpha male, until he was neutered. He would have been hell on wheels if we didn't, take my word for it.
Gene
Gene
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Hooch wrote:Nope no trim, he's full both his parents are AKC, he just has smooth fir like my last black one.
Ok he is like our female chow she looks more like a smooth coat...How tall is he? Kodi is close to 26 inches tall at his shoulders and 17 months he still has im guessing a good 15-20 lbs ...I hear they take almost up to 3 yrs to full out..That could put him close to 90-100 lbs... :shock: ..lol
steph131
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by steph131 »

Wow, so many variations in weight. I was concerned my 7 month Barney was growing so fast, he weighs about 61lbs at just over 7 months! Was growing about a KG every couple of weeks! Getting very difficult to manouvre, but vet says he's healthy and I'll keep up the rib check. Just had him done so even more important now!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Had to take Maisie to the vet this morning.
She weighed in at 58.5 lbs. and she is 3 yrs. old just. So she is a bonny girl.
The vet said she is lovely and not overweight. Both she and Matilda have to go next Friday for their booster jabs so Matilda will get weighed then.
I will measure them when I can get them to stand still.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Max is 85 lbs. and his half sister 65 lbs. Both purebreds, AKC registered. What's funny is a cable guy looked at Zeena and couldn't believe she was 65 lbs. He said his dog was bigger than her but, weighed less. I told him that's because Chows are solid muscle. Solid. Pound for pound, one the strongest dog breeds.
Gene
Gene