Moderator: chowadmin

Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

URGENT Chow ate cooked bone throwing up BAD NEWS at VET

Post by Swerve »

Sorry for posting inhere as wel, but better chance of a faster response

All,

Out 10 year old "Duff" would always have cooked bones but only chew them. Winston would also only chew them so was never really an issue.

Last night I gave them both 1 each lamb loin chop bone and when I came outside 30 seconds later GONE. I;m concerned Winston may have even BOTH bones.

Today (11:50am) Winston was just doing that big hiccup thing they do to throw up. He has just tried 3 times to throw up and only liquid came out. Should I wait and not panic or go to teh vet ? I am working from home and monitoring him closely ?

Thanks

Steve
Last edited by Swerve on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: URGENT Chow ate cooked bone throwing up

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I would take him to the vet. If he ate the bones they could be lodged somewhere. Even if he didn't eat the bone, he is trying to throw up which could also mean bloat. I tend to worry about bloat a lot since so many on here have lost chows to it. At the very least, I would call the vet and ask for advice.
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

I did some searching and bloat typically will have the dog trying to throw up but nothing come up. Winston did bring yellow gastric juices up which reading appears normal. I just need to watch his stools and see if they are normal or diaherria (spelling) Will wait another day as he seems normal now. But he still wont b leaving my side :mrgreen: I sit there asking Duff how is Winston expecting him to talk tome :D I reckon I look like an idiot expecting answers from the old boy, about the young boy
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

You wrote "URGENT" so bring him to the vet! Don't sit and wait for something to happen. Could be a choice you may regret. He's already sitting next to you trying to tell you he needs help.
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Zhuyos mom wrote:You wrote "URGENT" so bring him to the vet! Don't sit and wait for something to happen. Could be a choice you may regret. He's already sitting next to you trying to tell you he needs help.

He's not following me, I'm following him :) He is doing everything as per normal !!! He seems perfectl y fine, I think it's more a case of me being over sensitive dad.
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

I would hate to do nothing and regret it later. Remember that dogs don't always show pain and can't let you know that they have a tummy ache (until it's too late sometimes). I have always heard that one should NEVER feed cooked bones of any type to a dog. They could perforate something and this could be fatal.

My first Chow got into the garbage and ate a whole bunch of oxtail bones. He later started wimpering and was trying to poop. I took him to the vet. They xray-ed him and said that the oxtail bones sort of blocked everything (kind of like cement) and they kept him there for 2-3 days feeding him chicken soup with a syringe until he "pooped" big time. The 3 worst days of my life.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Cooked bones can splitter and can be fatal. Raw bones don't and is recommended over cooked bones. Some people have fed their dogs cooked bones and never had a problem but I wouldn't want to take that chance. I don't give them bones, just a raw green tripe.
Keep a close eye on your 2 and be prepared for an emergency vet visit if any more attempts to vomit or any more suspicious behavior happens.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Thaks All,

Fed him today some rice, chicken and egg. Just took him for a walk to also loosen him up, he drank alot of water after his walk which is normal for him. He's locked in the house and I will be watching him when outside waiting for a stool.

I dont feed them cooked bones but sometimes you just give in ! YES I'm aware of the dangers.

Thanks

Steve
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Well Winston got a stool out so thats a good start. It wasnt a thick as normal (always hard to tell with two dogs) but still 3/4" wide. They had a small dinner last night as we ran out of food, had a lunch today and a big dinner. This stool was right after dinner so all going well he will do one during the night when I let him out or the morning.

The little bugger does them in the garden so you need to watch him, otherwise you never find them.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

"The little bugger does them in the garden so you need to watch him, otherwise you never find them."

My boy needs lessons there - he drops the land mines in the middle of the walkway. #-o
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Well feeling sad right now.

After he got a little stool out last night at 10pm after dinner, he got a smooth paste one out at midnight. Down to the vet this morning and she can feel something hard in his belly. Back end is all smooth paste so she suspects a blockage, how bad or what we don’t know. Had to leave him for X’rays to confirm if he will need surgery or not. Feeling pretty sad right now. Miss my boy.
:cry:
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: URGENT Chow ate cooked bone throwing up BAD NEWS at VET

Post by CoraP. »

Oh, dear. I'm so sorry to hear this. Winston is at the vets so is in good hands. I hope he'll be alright! Keep us posted!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Sure will, I'm a big softie and wont feel better untill he is home. Place doesnt feel the same without him. I went up to Duff with Winston's new toy from last night and squeaked it with him. He just looked at me as i was like some nutter.
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

My wife called. Xray done – vets are in surgery – will call once out.

Wish they would hurry !!!!!

Miss my boy, house is so quiet !!!
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

OK, I collected Winston at 5pm and all is OK,, Xrays showed a gas filled colon and no gas in teh intenstines (i.e. Bloat) they gave him stuff to help him poo it all out. Soon as we got home he dranks some water and within 20 min did a HUGE Stool. I was so pleased.

Xrays showed a few very small bone peices so cant be to sure what really caused it.

Were just pleased he isok and home

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Srry about your horrible scare. I hope Winston continues to improve poor boy.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Hi Swerve
OMG that's an awful thing to happen. I would've written sooner but have just got back from a few days away (no comp). Hope your family is recovered fully now.
Hugs to the doggies.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

So glad to hear everyone is doing okay.. Winston looks alittle tuckered out..
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Winston does look tired, but healthy. Glad he is doing better. All the best to all of you!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Today Saturday he is doing well, he's seems normal but didnt enjoy the 10ml of Parriffin Oil from syringe into his mouth this morning. Maz and I can't stop cuddling him, I swear we are Chow Cuddle Addicts :)
SoonLee
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SoonLee »

I am happy that Winston is doing okay. Hope he continues to improve. He looks so cute resting on the bed.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am so glad he is okay. Every time I rush to the vet for something like that it ends up being nothing and the times I wait it out it usually ends up being major. I started looking at the money spent for rushing there as money for my peace of mind. It is well worth it.

No more bones for you, Winston. =;