Run Up to Crufts

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Run Up to Crufts

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

As you may have seen (in the UK certainly) there has been over the past 12 months a massive shift in public perception of professional dog breeding, in general how breeds have been altered through poor breeding practices over the years by certain breeders giving very little thought to the general health and well being of the dog. This culminated last year in the BBC retracting from the annual Crufts show after an investigation of its own into breeding practices of pedigree breeds in the UK. I just want to say that I accept this is happening (I think Max if proof of this seedy under belly of breeding) but I also would like to come out and thank those people that are breeding well to try and improve the health of their dogs. My younger brother is likely showing at Crufts this year, he has a young English Mastiff called Avadelyon Rola Cola (I've attached a pic from about 12 months ago when he was still little :P ) and the circle of breeders he has gotten to know should be congratulated for the efforts they have gone to in which to bring the breed on. Dixie (his normal name) is a smashing dog. He is nearly 2.5 now and a very big lad (approx 14 stone) but money has been no object in the care he has had. He has had most joints X rayed to identify any potential problems he might have, has regular visits to the Hydro center for "fun" and my brother travels approx 60 miles per week to get specific food for him (a mix of heart and tripe). So he gets the best. And the consciencous breeders at the shows think he's one of the best around and likely to go on to big things. But. There are also some breeders who want bigger and this is a major problem within the breed. I consider Dixie to be a massive dog, but some old school breeders don't think he is - and he is marked down for it. So the show results have been a mixed bag this year. Whilst my brother accepted that he would go through some changes whilst in open class until full growth, in one show he's doing very well and in another he is donig very poorly. The dog isn't changing between the two - yet the results are wildy different when against the same dogs show after show. And a lot falls down to cliques within this community. So I am hoping that some of the pressure to change breeding practices does get through to these people, and they accept that (this breed in particular) accepting a slight reduction in size in favour of better health is surely what is better for the breed, I mean realistically what difference does it make whether your dog is 18 stone instead of 10 stone?? So I've got my fingers crossed, such a lovely gentle big dog SHOULD in my opinion (and I am little biased but also objective) do well, I think the time and care tkane to get him this far should be rewarded and I just hope there is a marked change in how pedigree dog breeding is percieved here in the UK for the health of our "best friends" in the future.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... =663771846
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Run Up to Crufts

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

He is a beauty Danny
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

He's a beutiful dog. :) And he looks HUGE to me! :lol:
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks guys. I did hit a typo in my originaly text - meant 18 Vs 20 not 18 Vs 10. But you get the idea. Yes, he is a lovely dog and soft as a brush. He is quite lively for such a big guy but nothing like my 2. Paul travels the country with him and he has a really good hand with him and its just annoying that so much is left to "breeding" judges as to whether they do well. But we have all got our fingers crossed that once he hits maturity he'll do very very well and some of the newer breeders to the scene and judges have their eye on him. He missed a couple of shows last year through his own health yet he got word that somebody had spread rumours his dogs was lame - so when he subsequently came back he didn't fair too well. Based on that he took the dog to the vets for some precautionary X Rays just to make sure there was nothing he was missing. Clean bill of health all ankle,knee and hip joints perfect - the vet said he was probably the most sound dog he had seen of the size since he had been practising. The picture was taken some time ago (next to his award!) and he has filled out more now. He has gone through weird spurts and at the moment my brother is working on his rear trying to increase the muscle size, just through uphill walks and hydro really. If it wasn't for the shoe laces I would have one myself as they're probably one of the most laid back breeds, but by god does his bark carry! I wouldn't want to stumble into that house by accident! Dixie would prob hide though to be honest - he's extremely soft but I think his confidence will grow as he gets a bit older.
chowmia2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmia2 »

I wish the AKC would take the same stance in this country. It is long overdue.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree. I think it's a shame that health and the well-being of the breed isn't the first priority.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

CoraP. wrote:I agree. I think it's a shame that health and the well-being of the breed isn't the first priority.
Exactly. All the AKC looks at is how the dogs conform to the breed standard. Health needs to be looked at as well.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
chowmia2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowmia2 »

Shoot, I may be a bit cynical here but I think all the AKC looks at is the revenue it stands to lose should registration, litter and individual, take a hit.... :( . Our AKC is little more than a registration body.
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

The RSPCA was heavily involved in the UK, and the KC has made slight movements in the right direction. But not enough in my view. Maybe as well as the "breed type" there is also a health check or maybe a health pack the dogs require before the dogs can enter ( for example checks against the most frequent health problems with the breed, hip scores and a temperament test) that way the dog has to have everything marked (say 30 points for 3 categories) and this occurs in the first round of breeding. I Dont know - I'm no expert. But surely it has to be better than leaving it to someone who may have on one hand a dog he doesn't know, and on the other a dog that is related to one of his own.....I would like to think they would be fair but I don't think it can be guarenteed. Maybe they could do it like Pop Idol!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

It so depends on which judge you get on the day. I dont know how Bramble will fare in the show ring because she barely scrapes the breed standards min size and it seems quite a few chow judges like them much heavier. As all the chows in the UK seem to be related in some way it is a very small world and that can mean that word spreads very quickly (like with your brothers dog). I find the smallness of it quite claustaphobic sometimes it is like living in a village.

it would be great to see health and fitness take the highest priority. I saw a dog at a show having its weeping eyes dried by a hairdrier before going in the ring and getting second place!!!!
Maybe they could do it like Pop Idol!!
Love it. Let the public vote them off. :laughloud:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

The show world reminds me more of the school playground at times... & I hated that place! It's a DOG show people, not the Nobel physics prize!

Politics aside, all you are playing for is another's (hopefully educated in & lovers of the breed) OPINION of your dogs. How they feel the dog measures up to the conformation standard. For chows (& that's the only one I know anything about really) it can be interpretated in a number of ways & all judges have different parts they weigh more heavily than others. At the end of the day, it's their opinion & you don't have to agree! I personally feel my boy is better than every other dogs (bar a few) & I'm so proud I get to take him home. Wouldn't swap him for any of the dogs that have beaten him!

Judges also have to select the best dog / bitch on the day. That may not be their idea of the best example of the breed! Just an idea to remember.

As for heaviness Siriol ; Bramble does have a more moderate head. But some judges prefer that. Keep a list of judges you've shown to & what they appear to like. Then, look for the ones tha favor the points that Bramble has & show more to them! Bramble may also develope more of the 'scowl' that is described in the standard. She's very young still & her lines tend to be slow developing I think.

For those in the US, the AKC is a registry. For health we have CHIC & OFA. You should always look for those health clearances when thinking about health imo.
Thank you Elodie!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Thank you for what you wrote Layla, showing is not a subject that much discussed on cc.org and I sometimes feel it is a too lightweight compaired to rescue and puppy advice etc and hesitate to get into it here. But there are a few of us doing it and I feel that I am at the stage where the politics could be off puting. I appreciate your comments on Bramble as one who is familiar with the show world. I wont be heart broken if she proves not to be the judges choice because she will ALWAYS be mine. \:D/ \:D/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

That's the perfect attitude! She's a winner for YOU & that is all that matters. I'd take her temperament over a beautiful yet nasty dog any day.

I think showing teaches me a marvellous 'poker face' Just be nice to everyone & vent when you get home Sirol :wink: I just don't get involved.
Thank you Elodie!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Learnt that one already. :lol: