General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Walking my Chow in Summer

Post by Hugo »

Hi
Thanks for the advice of diet, found great info in the right section. My next concern is I live in Queensland, Australia and it is averaging about 32 degrees celcius from about 10am on. (Sorry not sure of conversion into fahrenheit). I walk my 7 month old chow about 8am 2-3 mornings a week. It's already about 26ish degrees. We go for only about 10 mins, and he loves it. He is very hot by the time we get home, and he takes about half hour to cool down after the walk. He sits in the house which is aircond. and sometimes I put a wet cloth on his paws and behind ears, under arms and wipe his face, all of which he seems to like. Is this ok to walk him like this, or can I just leave the exercise till Winter? He loves his walks though.
Thanks again.
Michelle
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Walking my Chow in Summer

Post by Swerve »

Been hot here in Sydney as well and Winston (9 months) has been suffering. I try and keep his walks in the cooler times and he will take 30min to 60min to cool down after a walk (and hes a short haired). Even at night without air con he has been suffering and panting really quickly but with his mouth closed.

I reckon your fine as it's his 1st summer and he is still aclimatising. Just take the cue's from him and if he's tired, stop etc.

Good luck
Steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Just be sure to leave him at least an hour before feeding him. I would agree with Swere take your cue from your chow but a little exercise is a good thing if he copes. Could you take him earlier or is it just as hot?

BTW 32 celcius is about 90 fahrenheit. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Walk him in the evening after the sun goes down.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, I know most people here have heard me several times say this but " Cooling beds are great" They have water added to them and the dogs love them.. Nikki got over heated playing at the trainers house one day when she was a pup and the trainer showed me her dogs beds in the back of her suv and she said she uses them to keep the dogs cool while traveling.. (of course, Never leave a dog in the car in warm weather, she just uses them for comfort while in motion traveling in their crates she does search and rescue with her dogs so they go in the car all the time with her).
Nikki at first was leary of it but I put some good treats on it and got her to sit on it and it was history after that. It also helps deter fleas cause they can't bed into it and its cool.. (they like it warm). Its worth the money and they last..
dannyoconnor430
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by dannyoconnor430 »

Don't think they has as much of an issue with heat as we might think. So go for it - she'll decide when she's had enough. I'm led to believe Aus is over 30 DegC most of the year and doesn't cool overnight so your stumped really. Just take it easy, she'll get used to it. The only word of caution is don't have in an A/C environment "cool" and then take her straight out into the heat. Might be an idea to have her outside before you snap the lead on so there isn't the initial shock.