General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

The One Drawback with Chows

Post by gebower »

Hello Chow Lovers,
You've heard me rant and rave and praise the Chows before, but there is one problem with them that I've found. GROOMING.
It seems to be an ever constant problem. My Chows, if I were to take them to a groomer, would probably be rejected by the groomer or charge me $200 for the job. Therefore, we have to do the grooming. Now, I know that you have to take them to the groomer when they are very young to get used to it. We haven't done that and regret it now. The biggest problem of all on their grooming is the BACkSIDES. This hair has to be trimmed short or you will have more problems than imagined in their "elimanation". As you probably know. I don't know if some Chows have less hair, but my Chows seem to have VERY thick hair on the backsides. I mean, THICK. And, if we don't keep this trimmed down, it can turn into a virtual nightmare of a mess.
I envy those who can take their Chows to a groomer and have no problems. But, that is not the case with ours. Giving Max a shot in the vet's office almost got me knocked out. He is at least a 75 lb.Chow and extremely strong. I was trying to hold him down while the vet gave him a shot and Max raised his big head, and I saw stars. I love my Chows dearly but this is THE only problem that I have with them. The grooming. Period. Just wondering if anyone out there has any similar stories?

Gene.
Gene
kingalls

Re: The One Drawback with Chows

Post by kingalls »

My two use to get the messy bums. Since I put them on a diet of raw green tripe and limited their treats, they don't have the problem. Nahkohe use to go to the groomers on a regular basis and had to get his back end trimmed to compensate for the poop problem. Glad the diet took care of the problem since he's not being professionally groomed anymore.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I groom my Chow Chows on my own, started right when I got them, while they were still puppies. It is a workout to keep them all groomed and trimmed, but to me it is so worth the time spend. I love my Chow Chows and their Majestic appearance, and without grooming them to keep them this way, this would not be possible. My two actually enjoy their grooming sessions and don't fuss at all with me, Lobis Cunami falls asleep while I groom him :lol: Teddy on the other hand is up and helps me along with her grooming. I must admit it takes me an hour for just regular grooming, but it will take me two hours if I have to trim the behinds or thin out the hair with the rake to get all that dead undercoat fur out. Also bathing them every month helps a lot with the grooming where it makes it easier to get through with the comb. I use 3 different combs each time I groom mine and I groom them every 2 to 3 days.

Just wanted to add, when it is bath time it takes me with bathing, blow drying and grooming 3 hours alone for Lobis Cunami and also 3 hours for Teddy.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I groom my two on my own, I've always groomed my own, particularly the rescues as you don't know how they will react at first. Yes their backsides are a pain and they don't like it, my experience is they will try to sit to keep you from grooming that area, my solution I hug them around the tummy with one arm, thus preventing them from sitting and then I brush and comb until it's done. I have never trimmed them back there, a good diet without too many treats keeps their stool firm enough that they don't get too many smears and a good brushing constantly keeps the area clean. (also baby wipes to remove urine traces are a good idea as well). My two never smell and the Vet always thinks they've had a recent bath....Firesong actually hasn't had a bath in 6 years and Dreamdancer has never had a bath....brush, brush, brush and they don't need it. Of course they also don't run loose in a yard so no rolling in the dirt or mud and only allowed to dig and play in clean snow.

I consider the time spent brushing them as an upper body work out. :lol:
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

I only brush my yogi once a week. He doesnt have fur like most chows, thats why I love him! lol
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I also use the baby wipes, unscented, everyday around the eyes, Also wipe around the bum and especially when she is in season. Gets kinda personal doesn't it.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We've been grooming, washing, toe clipping since we invited them home. No issues at all. We even take them for baths in the winter every 2 mths without issue. We do it ourselves the rest of the year. Keeping on top of it weekly for hair and nails, bi-monthly for baths has been key to good looks and catching any coat issues quickly.

Just like everything else with chows, being calm is important as firm.

Never considered this an issue when getting animal, ever.
LUV_a_CHOW_PUP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LUV_a_CHOW_PUP »

I have heard that Chows dont need as much bathing as other breeds.. It dries out their skin, some Chows have skin problems, I really think its from too much bathing also diet. Unscented Baby wipes are great for the bum and around the eyes.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

As for baths and dry skin as mentioned above. From what we have discovered over time with trial and error is that the issue is food. Of course a gentle shampoo is highly recommended. Making sure your chow dries properly is also something to keep in mind. We are in a dry climate in winter and our fur kids coats are exceptional and no skin issues. I dorecommend most people find an exceptional groomed even if you decide to only bath your loved one now and again, so as to get experienced feedback.

Anyway we wish success to any approach for long healthy lives.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

From my personal experience, regular monthly bathing has eliminated hot spot issues with my Lobis Cunami ( Teddy never had a hot spot ). I only use hot water and cotton balls to clean the eyes daily, and it has worked well for me. For bathing, I use only Jerob products ( www.jerob.net ) on my Chow Chows fur, and feed Wellness dry and wet foods and snacks.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

We groom at home here as well (all of the dogs, not just Aesop). He's pretty good about standing for the forced air dryer.

We don't trim his backside..brushing alone takes care of any issue he gets back there. Since he gets his loose undercoat blown out with the dryer, it's just a simple run through with a brush should something get messy.
DOHMAN
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DOHMAN »

Very strange. My chows need very little grooming except in the summer when I furminate them about twice a month. I give them a bath every 3-4 weeks and they air dry. When they get close to dry I simply use my metal comb behind their ears and we are good to go.