General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jim
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reputable Breeder?

Post by Jim »

Good evening, All,

I have just joined ChowChow.org having been the owner of the most lovable, black rough coat Chow Chow. His name was Pooh Bear and he was a beloved member of our family. Unfortuantely, after many years of life, Pooh Bear passed on last year...

Now, I am looking for a Chow Chow puppy. I have been in touch with a breeder that I found on the Internet. How can I tell if this is a reputable breeder? What questions should I ask? Is $800-1000 a reasonalble price for a purebred Chow Chow?

Thanks in advance for your time, experience and advice,
-- Jim
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Reputable Breeder?

Post by bama »

My advice is to check with chow chow rescues. Then, you know what you have. Puppies from breeders are unpredictable.
Good luck
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Some of the infos given in that topic might be able to help you:
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14634
Good luck in your search!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

There are so many rescue chows available in Ohio.

Please just take a look at Petfinders before you make a decision.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

The prices can differ a lot depending on whom and from which breeder you adopt. One thing I would suggest is to ask questions about the parents of the puppy and that you want to see them, if they look like abused and not well cared for parents, then I would not adopt from them. If people come up with excuses saying they don't have pictures or the camera is broke, or send you no clear pictures to see them, then don't buy from them. I am not sure where you are located, but I know of a site called PuppyFind.com they offer lots of Chow Chow puppies there for sale,and you can search maybe within your location. Here is the link...
http://www.puppyfind.com/for_sale/?breed_id=41
***** Lobis Cunami *****
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

I would look very carefully at their websites if they have one. I'm noticing some of the larger kennels are also breeding other breeds which I would be leery of. I'd look for a breeder that is focused on chows only. Also, some of them offer pedigrees. Ask to look at the pedigree first and see just how much in-breeding is taking place. It seems like some of the better breeders offer a TON of photos of current and past litters and many photos of the parents. Ask for a photo of the place itself (with a current digital time stamp). Is it clean? Are the dogs treated as a commodity or as members of the family? RUN AWAY if they can't provide current photos of the physical surroundings. Ask about entropion guarantees and any recent litters with hip dysplasia problems. If they can't answer, RUN. Also, I'd be leery if they don't ask YOU questions. If I were a breeder I'd want recommendations of potential buyers and would want to know what kind of experience they've had with chows in particular and dogs in general. Ask if you can speak to people (on the phone) who have purchased one of their puppies. I'm not sure I would sell a chow to a new dog owner out of concern for the dog. Do they ask you what personality of chow you are looking for or are they only concerned about your choice of color? (creams go for more $$) Just my thoughts.
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Also what sort of contract do they offer and does it include taking the chow back if you ever found yourself unable to keep it.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

You won't find a reputable breeder on puppyfind or any other classified-type listings. Backyard breeders and the like usually advertise there. You can get a short list of breeders listed by state on the Chow club. In addition, you can check the OFA site once you find a breeder to make sure they're health testing their dogs. You want a breeder who doesn't breed dogs before 2 years of age, when the health tests can be done (hips, elbows, patellas, etc) If you go to a breeder, you want to be sure that they're aware of those health issues and are working to prevent them in their lines.

Rescue is also another way to go, plenty of wonderful dogs available that way as well.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

Grab wrote:You won't find a reputable breeder on puppyfind or any other classified-type listings. Backyard breeders and the like usually advertise there. You can get a short list of breeders listed by state on the Chow club. In addition, you can check the OFA site once you find a breeder to make sure they're health testing their dogs. You want a breeder who doesn't breed dogs before 2 years of age, when the health tests can be done (hips, elbows, patellas, etc) If you go to a breeder, you want to be sure that they're aware of those health issues and are working to prevent them in their lines.

Rescue is also another way to go, plenty of wonderful dogs available that way as well.

I have to say you are wrong there. I found my Lobis Cunami from Puppy Find, here is the breeders website www.cunami.lt they are reputable and raise show dogs, I think all of their dogs have titles and they are not a back yard breeder. The price alone told me they were the real deal :wink:

Also http://forestwaychows.com/ has advertised and still is selling her puppies through there too.

So yes you can find real honest breeders on there, you just have to look and weed through the rest.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

I lost my 16 yr old chinabear and wanted another black female. I contacted every chow breeder in the southeast and after 2 months one of the most trusted breeders in Atlanta { I thought} contacted me telling me she had a 7 month old show puppy. I went and fell in love with this little girl, she was gorgeous. I trusted this breeder so much that it never dawned on me to have her checked out by a vet because the breeder is so involved with chow chow shows all over the country.She judges chows in these shows. In fact she was showing this puppy for another breeder out of Michigan. Well the puppys eye was soaking the side of her face and she told me It was nothing and I could get some meds from the vet. Well it turned out to be entropion and it cost me $800 with an optomologist just for tacking the eye. So now I had a 7 month old puppy that was not house trained wearing an elizabethan collar and an opthamologist without any bedside manner. It has been one year and she is a beautiful little girl but these breeders are just like used car salesmen. Trust them as far as you could throw them and have the dog checked out by YOUR veternarian. They are out to make money and I have lost all faith in dog people.BUYER BEWARE
Bishop's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bishop's Mom »

Hello,

This is my first post as I just purchased my chow on Wed, but I this is one of the site's I frequented as I was doing research before Bishop came home. I bought my puppy from a breeder that I found online and I will say that even though its only been a few days, I am 100% positive I made the best decision. I would say do your research on this breeder. Find out what clubs they are registered to, ask do they have pedigree's, see pictures of as many generations of the parents as they have, ask as many questions to them as you can and if they are reputable, they will not have a problem as they should be asking you alot as well! I will say that my chow was expensive, but well worth the money because breeder stands behind her chows. I flew down to get him and was able to see many of her adult chows as well as the mother to mine. Their temperments were excellent even though I was a stranger to them. They all came up and licked and loved on me. I tell you this because it was stated on her website that she bred quality, sound temperment, and excellent pedigrees. So again, do your research and you wont go wrong! I will post pics soon! Also, feel free to contact me and I will give your her info as she still has 2 black rough coat chows available ( as of Wed) of the same litter as Bishop and they are 10 weeks old! Hope this helps as much as many other posts helped me :-)

Bishop's Mom
LUV_a_CHOW_PUP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LUV_a_CHOW_PUP »

I have noticed some Reputable Breeders now advertizing on Puppyfind.com however be careful. I think the price has nothing to do with the quailty...for one because if you are looking for a pet then you dont want to pay 1,500-2,000 and up for a show quailty Chow. They have good chows for 800-900 that are for people that are looking for a pet. If you look up what the show standard is Blue-black tongue and size and coloring etc... that is what they want for showing a Chow Chow. But I think that buying a Chow with a few pink spots on their tongue or any other imperfection on their "looks" doesnt matter if you don't plan on showing your Chow. I just put a deposit on a 850.00 Chow Chow from a pet breeder, however some breeders breed for Show but might give a lower price if you are purchasing a pet only. I will not reccommend the breeder I have decided to go with until I have my Chow for awhile. But I will keep you all posted with pics and comments how things are going.