attack of the magpie :(

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

attack of the magpie :(

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Today I gave LB a raw bison bone, and sent her to eat it in the backyard... about 20 minutes later I heard a commotion in the back yard, looked out the window, and there was a group of 4 magpies (big black birds kind of like crows...) that were attacking her for the bone!! She tried to fight them off, but was failing miserably. They were even dive bombing her from above!!
I ran outside, chased them away, but they made her nose bleed and her ear :evil: She is okay now, but I just thought I would share the story...
How dare they attack my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: attack of the magpie :(

Post by Sirchow »

Poor Little Bear what a horrible scary experience. It is life on the African plains at your house. :shock: I guess she will want to eat her bones indoors from now on. :(
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Poor LB. Those Magpies had better leave her alone!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am glad she is ok, Nasty birds
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

That is crazy! I am glad she is okay. Darn birds. That must have been quite a site. People think chows are vicious and here is this poor chow being attacked by birds. Maybe you will need a cat to protect the chow from the birds.
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Haha! That is unacceptable in ones own yard! We could have FengHuang teach the art of hunting birds in groups. We've trained her to hunt 'walmart chickens' (seagulls) along the St. Lawrence and she really loves it! I'm sure she would love to try Magpie! She is very willing to help as long as you have enough Magpies otherwise the bone is hers!!! ROFL
nean007
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by nean007 »

"Walmart chickens" -- now that's funny =D=
Hugs from Dargo and Denny!
gebower
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by gebower »

Poor LB, can't enjoy your bone in peace. Glad she's okay. Who would ever think Magpies fighting over a bone? When I lived in Michigan, my home was on a canal and I was trimming weeds along the canal when birds came down and started attacking me and one hit me in the head too. I looked farther down the canal and they had babies that were trying to fly. They told me, get out of here, NOW!
One day I let my Chows out in the back yard and pretty soon I heard what sounded like the movie, "The Birds" in the back yard. I've never heard so many birds having a fit at the same time. It was the same story, some babies were in the yard trying to fly and my Chows were back there. There must have been 200 birds squawking and divebombing the Chows, but these birds were much smaller than Magpies and so my Chows were almost ignoring them but my female Chow was eyeing the babies, but she didn't do anything, just curious. Once I got the Chows back inside, everything went quiet and the birds disappeared back into the trees. Birds can be very brave and even vicious.
Gene.
Gene
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Yikes!!!! That is so scary!
Birds kind of freak me out... even more now! :-x
Thanks for your stories everyone! For now, all bones are going to be consumed INSIDE, until I can figure out how to get rid of them!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Nat thought we should mention we have a woodpecker here with a 4 1/2' wing span. Probably the great grand daddy of the area. FengHuang really wished he wasn't so wary! ROFL
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Poor LB - some nerve those birds have. Hmpf!!!
Mia