Looking for quick advice!

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Looking for quick advice!

Post by sweetpea »

I know this is suppose to be in the health section but we need help now. Princess and Gracie got into a bad fight tonight. Princess has a big gash on her head. At first I thought it was small but deep but after looking at it better discovered it's pretty wide. We do not have the money for a vet, simple as that. Any vet in this area will not work on a pet without the payment so we are kind of screwed for trying to get her medical treatment. What can we do right here at home to treat it to keep it from getting infected? There must be something we can do.
kingalls

Re: Looking for quick advice!

Post by kingalls »

Check with your local pet store for a liquid bandage. Get the wound clean and use the liquid bandage. I would also call the vet and ask for advice. If you tell them your situation and need to know what to do, they should help you.
Are you going to have to keep Gracie & Princess separate now? What cause the fight?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

I have no clue what happened. Princess was standing by me, Gracie was trying to get her to play and then all at once it turned to a fight. I was right there. My husband called the vet and explained the situation. The vet said bring her in tomorrow and he will work with us on getting it paid and trying to keep the cost down. So tonight I'm keeping them seperated. I think they could be allowed in the same room now BUT I don't want Gracie licking the wound. Then once Princess gets stitches, I will most likely have to keep them apart because Gracie will most likely try to remove them from Princess. She doesn't act like its bothering her but we are just so worried that a wound like that on the head could cause bad infection. dang girls.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

If you can cut the hair around the wound away, you'll be better able to clean it, (the vet will most likely shave the area anyway). I'm sure she'll be all right, they heal better than we do.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!