Zilla had to leave us...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Zilla had to leave us...

Post by AlwaysTango »

We had to say goodbye to our dear, sweet Zilla Tuesday night. The last six months his arthritis has gotten increasingly bad. We have tried every NSAID and non-NSAID combo out there without any real improvement...they didn't work on him like that did for Tango. The only thing that gave him relief was accupuncture, so we have been doing that religiously since March. With that he was happy and could still get around. On Tuesday he was asleep and all of a sudden he started yelping. We went to him and could not wake him. When we finally got him awake several minutes later he seemed like he wasn't with us and didn't know us. Finally he improved and seemed to know us. We helped him up and took him outside to pee and he did ok, but then seemed very confused and was having trouble moving. We rushed him to our vet and she did a full assessment on him. She said he was having a major neurological episode and was in a lot of pain. She loves Zilla and was so broken hearted, but she didn't feel that he was going to recover from this episode. My husband and I talked and decided that we wouldn't let him be in any pain. He had recently lost 15 pounds and was having a lot of gastrointestinal issues too, and even though we weren't showing anything in bloodwork or x-rays, we all suspected cancer. We made the decision to let him go with dignity and no more pain. It was one of the hardest things we have ever done. We had to put our first Chow, Paddinton, down in 2003 when we got Zilla, and we had hoped that we would not have to make that decision again, but it was the last thing we could do for Zill. Our new female, Taboo has gone around the house looking for him. We have been trying to give her lots of extra walks and cuddle time, but I know she is lost without him. We all are.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Zilla had to leave us...

Post by Mia »

Oh my gosh - I am sorry. My deepest, deepest sympathies for you. How wonderful that he had your love to send him on his way.
Mia
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'm sorry to hear this about Zilla. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband and Taboo.

Run free, Zilla.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I am so very sorry. Godspeed, sweet Zilla.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Oh Poor Zilla, I am so sorry to hear this. It is heartbreaking. He was lucky to have you looking out for him.
SweetPea Rocks!!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. It is so hard to have to have to make that decision but be comforted in knowing you did the right thing for Zilla and that he was surrounded by those who loved him right to the end.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my heartfelt sympathies. God Bless Zilla.
Where's my chow chow?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I'm sorry you had to make that hard choice. I worry for the day I will have to do that for my Pip. My prayers for you all. Run free Zilla!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

I am so sorry about this - it is a horrible thing to have to do but it is the kindest. He is now in The Happy Hunting Grounds - no more pain and every day is spring. Run free Zilla.

" Say not in grief he is no more but in thankfulness he was. "
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Piff Poff
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Piff Poff »

Hugs {{{{{o}}}}} so sorry for your loss.
Thank you Sweatpea
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

[-o| Godspeed, sweet Zilla...
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Quedok
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Quedok »

I am so sad to hear of your loss. I deepest sympathy to you.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Tracey,
It is so hard to do, but the greatest gift we can give our chowdren. But knowing that you have saved your chow pain and suffering doesn't seem to help us get through it at all. I feel for you, so much. God bless you for letting him go, and for loving him well, and caring for him well for all these years.

I believe that our chowdren are watching over us from the next world, for a bond so strong can not be broken by mere loss of the physical body. I feel their presence in a starry night, a summer breeze, the moonlight reflected in the snow and in the twinkle of another chow's eye. They are healthy, pain free, and happy; they travel with the wind rather than running like the wind; they want to reassure us that all is well.

And as time passes we can let go of our loss and remember how much we gained having a chow in our life. Remember the pure joy of Zilla when he greeted you. Remember how much he enjoyed his walks as a young and healthy chow. Remember how many times zoomies made you laugh out loud. Remember how he knew when you just needed him to be close by. Remember all the ways your life was enriched by this beautiful chow boy.

And keep Taboo close, as she misses him too and can comfort you at the same time.

But most of all, know in your heart, that you gave him his dignity at the end. Easing his transition from this world to the next is no less than he deserved for all the years of love and devotion he gave. Well done.

Prayers, good thoughts and hugs to you and yours
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I am so sorry for your loss. Run free Zilla.
LEO's mum
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by LEO's mum »

Deepest sympathies & warmest hugs to you all. So sorry.....

Leonora & mum
anita
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by anita »

I am so sorry for your loss.
Where's my chow chow?
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

I am so sorry for your loss. Our deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am so sorry, My deepest condlences

David
SWANCIN
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SWANCIN »

Our deepest condolences to you.....

Run free and painfree Sweet Zilla [-o|
Cindy & Kodi

I Wanna Go Chase Something!!!!!
Compliments of SWEETPEA - Banner Artiste Extraordinaire

Dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=36558
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Iam so sorry to hear about Zilla.

RIP Zilla ..
JH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JH »

So sorry to hear of your loss. You have our deepest sympathies.
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

im so sorry for ur loss.
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. It has been really hard for us, Zilla was such a special guy and we have been spending so much time with him and caring for him so much in the last six months. His passing has left a huge whole in our hearts. We do find much peace in the fact that he is no longer in pain though...he was such a bright, shining star and now I know that he is up in Heaven watching over us, along with our other Chows that we have lost over the years. I find comfort in the fact that he is now with his "soul mate" Chow, our sweet Sootie, who passed after we had Zilla for one year. I have never seen two Chows who were so loving and wrapped up in each other...I know that they are taking care of each other and that makes me smile.