Toy issues to throw or not to throw

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Toy issues to throw or not to throw

Post by chowpups »

Nikki has a basket of toys in the den .. the last couple of nights she's been going to the toys and getting them out of the basket and bringing them,one by one the toys over to me or my husband. She stands there and pushes the toy at you to play then when you throw it she stands there and looks at you like "Why did you throw my toy ".. Then she gets another toy and the same thing. She won't go get it (retrieve it) but gets another for you .. We can't figure out what she wants us to do with the toy ??? Anyones chow ever do this??
Last night she had 8 toys she got out.. Oh, and she would put them on the couch by my feet and leave them there not on the floor. Very strange...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: Toy issues to throw or not to throw

Post by Judy Fox »

Milly loved carrying hers and Mabel's toys around and she would give them to us. Mostly though, she would move them around. About a year ago, I had a big tidy up. There was a big ruck of toys just in front of the television so I put them all in the toy basket. Milly was disgusted and one by one, she picked out their favourites and put them back by the television.
Also, if Mabel was lying outside on the lawn, Milly would go and choose a toy and take it and put it down by Mabel's front paws then she would come back in, choose a toy for herself and go and lie by Mabel with her toy.
I think it is just that they like having their own things and perhaps Nikki is just sharing her toys with you. Chow Chows do not seem to
"fetch" - much below their dignity - that game is for dogs. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Yeah, Nikki seemed to do the same thing as Milly would do to Mabel, just leave it at our feet and go get one for herself.. She will when she's in the MOOD to go fetch, but last night was not a playful night. It was very seriously placed each time with a nudge of her nose to your leg or foot like "see what I brought you".
But just leave it there don't throw it ... And everytime we threw it she wouldn't get that toy but go to the basket for another to bring to you, Like Dopey don't throw this one away.. it was so funny..this went on for over an hour...
sweetpea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by sweetpea »

That is Princess. What she does is greet us or others with a toy or object. If someone takes the toy and tosses it because they think she wants to play, she just stands there looking so hurt. You would not believe how many times people have apologized to her after throwing the toy! With Princess it isn't always a toy, it could be paper, or something else, just whatever she can find that closest. We just tell her thank you, tell her how pretty she is with her nice toy or object while petting her and she seems to be happy with that, seems to be all she wants. Gracie is funny with her toys, she will play with them for about a week after first getting a new toy. After that she ignores them unless she hears one squeak then she comes running to check on it. She takes it, gives it a bath then goes about her business. Once in awhile she can be seen digging through her basket for a toy. Neither one will play fetch, its a silly game to them and I think they feel its disrespectful for us to throw the toys like that. lol
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

When Coco brings me a toy from her (exploding) toy basket, she expect me to entertain her with it.
I have to make the racoon walk and the duck fly, they have to squick and then she tries to steal me the toy. She bites it, I don't give it, she pulls, I shake. Then if I send it away, she'll bring it back so I can continue to entertain her with it.

I think you just don't entertain enough :lol: .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, Elodie - Milly used to like me squeeking her toys then she would take them off me and do it herself but when I do it for Mabel she looks at me as if to say "Oh! Oh! I hope you are enjoying squeeking my toy!" However, she does sort them out herself now and takes one to bed. :D
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

elodie
Iam laughing to myself visualizing you making a duck fly and a racoon walk for Coco (cause I'd do the same silly stuff too).. Iam sure Coco is entertained I think a video of that would be entertaining for all of us too.. Actually sometimes Nikki will engage in those types of play too but she has been very serious about this placing of her toys and the nudge to show you what she did.. If you pick it up or move it she leaves and gets another toy . Like you contaminated the last one now don't touch this one.. and if you put it back in the basket she takes it out and with a quick little toss ,throws it to the side.. She started to do it again this morning while I was having coffee and then the door bell rang and that was just much more important .. My husband said one of his dogs that had pups did something like that with a sick pup, she kept removing it from the litter and every time he put it back in she tossed it out again.. Wonder if she thinks these are her pups.. ???? (GREEN FROG, 3 DUCKS, LAMB, PINK DOG, SQUIRREL, RABBIT??) Maybe she's trying to tell us these stuffed animals need a bath .. LOL..
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Haha, I love all the toy stories. It sounds to me like Nikki is honoring you with a toy, and feels you are rejecting it if you throw it.

My first chow never played with toys. Deuce on the other hand is a toy fiend. He keeps his toys all together. We keep them in his crate, but he will go get them one by one and bring them to the sitting room. He always appreciates a new toy by playing with it exclusively for days. Pretty soon, you find that he has put it into rotation with the others. He is particularly vicious with his toy pig. He shakes the stuffings out of that one. Poor piggy has more patches than original stitching.

Deuce will fetch toys for as long as I will throw them.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Well we're going to go out and buying a new toy and see what she does with that.. This has peaked our interest as to what she is doing..or trying to do???
I do feel honored that she brings me her toys but its not like she wants me to do anything with them either?? We caught her licking the one she had at her feet .. I guess she's giving it a bath.. I think I'll just throw mine in the washer.. LOL...
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

That will be interesting - I think that chows love and use their toys.

When Milly came to live with us she was only 6 weeks old and she brought a bright green hippo toy with her and she loved it until she died a few weeks ago. She would carry it about and would take it to bed with her.

What was funny though was the fact that our standard Schnauzer Hector who was almost a year younger than Milly and Mabel knew how she felt about it. Sometimes he would go into our bedroom and pinch the hippo out of Milly's bed and run round with it - goading her and it worked she would chase him until she got it. Mabel has a scraggy yellow duck that she loves best and he would do the same with that. It really cracked me up. :lol:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Nikki still has lambie too and she never distroys any of her toys either which is nice cause my Shar pei would devour a toy in a minute..we couldn't give him anything but natural bones.
Nikki - Oneill in timeout 006.jpg
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Pip no longer plays with toys, but had a nylabone she loved in her earlier years. New ones, not at all. Lily has a pink penguin named Pinkie she will shake the snot out of, but not chew, and only when she is worked up to do so. Same with her hedgehog Hedgie. She used to 'fetch' them if we tossed them, but only a few times. Outside sticks are another story. Both my girls are highly interactive but if you throw them, they do not fetch, they play keep away.
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

Our chow will play fetch, but only with the toys she knows. We have some tennis balls, Kong Wubbas, and monkey. We can ask her to go get any of these and she will trot around the house and find the toy and bring it over. I taught her to do this when she was a puppy. The funniest thing is that when she is walking around with the Wubba, which squeaks, sometimes she will wine/squeak herself. It is almost as though she is trying to imitate the toy...
-will
marline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by marline »

ImageImageImageImage Luna loves Fishing!!!!
ImageImageImage
rougedriner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rougedriner »

My Bear is almost 9 and she still loves her toys. She also love to play fetch. She likes those ducks that quack when she bites them,she will have them quacking like crazy for about a week then surgically remove the quacker #-o When I bring in a wal-mart back she has to look through it to see if she has anything and I don`t know how but she will find her duck, even if I hide it :D