Urgent!Chow Chow info needed

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

linktrek
Rank 0
Rank 0

Urgent!Chow Chow info needed

Post by linktrek »

A neighbor has to go out of town and is leaving her 1 year old Chow Chow with us. She is looking for a good home and I considered adopting the dog.But now the CC is going to be living for a few days and I am concerned because I have heard that Chow Chows can be vicious.
As far as I know, this 1year old female Chow Chow has not shown any aggressive behavior and has been over to our hose to play with my 3 year old gentile Golden Retriever and my pug
who''s back legs are paralyzed. What happens when they play is that it ends up my female GR chases the Chow Chow and there is no sign of aggression. But my female GR is an alpha female. She is gentle and friendly to other dogs and loves new people. But several times I have taken her to the off leash and if a dog wouldn't play with her or she got some negative vibes, my GR would end up having a fight with the other dog. Since this new Chow Chow has played a few times for an hour or so with my GR, there doesn't seem to be a problem with domination.
I live in a 3 bed house and a fenced in back yard. Any feedback would be appreciated because I am getting the CC in in about 2 hours.
Please email your advice to me directly at linktrek@yahoo.com. It will get to my phone. Or if you choose you can post something here and I will have to hope that someone replies to this.
Thanks much,
Irwin
kingalls

Re: Urgent!Chow Chow info needed

Post by kingalls »

If your GR and the Chow Chow have had play dates before without incident then that is a good sign BUT it sounds like you need to closely monitor the situation if your GR is very dominant. I hope you are prepared to keep them separate if there are issues between your GR and your visiting Chow Chow. Depending on how the Chow Chow was socialized and brought up there should not be any problems with them co-habitating. Chows are not viscious. They are very intelligent and will analyze what your are asking them to do & if it makes any sense for them to comply....
I'm wondering why your friend has asked your to take care of her Chow if you are not sure this is a good circumstance for you, your family, and her Chow. Is she looking to rehome her Chow?
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

I just wanted to say, don't leave your GR and the chow in the same room alone when you're out. You don't know what can happen with nobody to separate them if needed.
But I hope everything will go smoothly of course. Good luck!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
linktrek
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by linktrek »

Well things are looking very good so far. I don't think there will be any problems. The CC is very shy so but she has an appetite like an elephant. I think the trick is that I make like she is not in the room when she is exploring our new house. The gentleness of the GR relaxes the CC. All they did is play together in the morning and explore the house.
Layla (the CC) is very shy with me so I am aware of this and I make no attempts to try to make friends with her. I let her come to me. I had her eating out of my hand last night.
Everything seems to be going well.
They owners have been trying to find a good home for Layla.I think we qualify for that.But I have to see how the very dominant female in the house will accept Layla. The dominant female of the house is called Monica. She is my wife.Hopefully when she sees how well Layla gets along with my GR, then I am going to suggest rescuing Layla.
I got my pug Luis when he was 1 year old. I also got my GR as a rescue at 1 year old.Now Layla is here and she is 1 year old.
Layla is very shy with me. But with a little time, I can take care of that. I know one thing. If we take her into my family then she will have a very good life with us.
I'll keep you informed on what is happening.
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

You're funny. I look forward to the stories you'll tell us about Layla in your home now :D .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

It sounds promising for Layla! Keep us posted!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome and I hope it works out for you. Chows Chows are lovely creatures and I suggest you look at the different posts on this site - there is a lot of information here. Look forward to seeing pictures. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Larry Harris
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Larry Harris »

Spend sometime on the floor alone with the Chow, always pet her under the chin and not on top of her head. Place your hands on either side of her head like grabbing her jowls just below her ears and rub firmly and slowly. She will push into your hands and soon you will have the best friend ever.

Larry