General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

New Chow Chow

Post by valerierichard27 »

Hello,
I just got a 1 yr old Chow Chow last week, she is very good and nice, but i dont know much about them, what kind of foods they eat, if i can bathe her myself. I have 2 kids a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old, and she is great with them, i read a few things on the internet about her but i would like to know more so if any one has any tricks or good knowledge i would really like some more information

thatnks
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow Chow

Post by Dogdad »

Congratulations,

Yes you can bathe her yourself, just be sure to try her as well as you can. As for food, try to feed her the best food you can, Do a search in the food section and a search on the internet for the best dog foods, We all have our favorites, avoid cheap brands, they really aren't more than fillers.

dogdad
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Please read up in the grooming and training sections. I think many have repeated the same advice so many times, you won't get the in depth answers you really need. There is much information through specific discussions there. One thing I will mention here, is to be VIGILANT when then children are around the Chow. Not so much because she is a Chow, but any new animal that is grown and unknown may not know how to act around the kids. It also takes a Chow awhile to show their true personality, so better to be overly safe than sorry. Chances are she will be fine, but that is a gamble you should not take. Now to the important stuff. What is her name, and do you know how to post photos??? Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you in our community.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ive had many dogs before including Akitas and i am always vigilent with the kids, but the kids know not to bother the dogs and to aproch them by the front and not the back, as for nelly, i went to the vet with her last night for a check up and shes in good health, the vet also said she had a good tempermenent because she didnt kneed to mussle her to put her on the table and she said that i was very lucky, but yes i am vigilent
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Unfortunately I think AuddyMay is right, us old timers have repeated ourselves so often our fingers hurt. If you've had Akitas you have a fair idea of what a chow is like, (they are related). If she was good at the vet, she probably has an excellent temperment. If she's good with kids, she'll probably remain so. Like AuddyMay said, run searchs on the site, and you'll find tons of info. As far as grooming and bathing, the thing to do with bathing is to remember to get her dry, it may take a long time to do this, but it's worth it to prevent hot spots, I bought a small hand held doggy hair dryer for mine. No they don't like the noise, but I find if I turn it on in their presence, a couple of times a day or so before bath day, they don't freak out so much. I don't point it at them just at myself or the sink, it's just to accostome them to the noise.

Like Dogdad said, no cheap food. No corn, wheat, cheap meat fillers etc, all of them cause allergies and skin problems.

All that said, Welcome, good luck and we LOVE pictures.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

what kind of food do you guys buy ??
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I but Wellness brand. The fish based formula.
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mine get Nature's Recipe Venison and Rice. They don't care for lamb formulas. Not the most expensive, not the cheapest. Avoid corn and wheat, as Chows tend to be sensitive to those ingredients. Some are downright allergic. Most grocery store brands and alot of treats list corn as the first or second ingredient.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

I went to see a store who formulates there own food and this is what he gave me, (ingredients)

chicken meal (digestable at 92%)
Yellow ground corn
whole wheat flower
pork meal (digestable at 94 %

protein 27%
fat 11%
fiber 3.5 %
Humidity 10%
calcium 1.8 %
phosphorus 1.2 %

he said it was the best for chow
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

valerierichard27 wrote:I went to see a store who formulates there own food and this is what he gave me, (ingredients)

chicken meal (digestable at 92%)
Yellow ground corn
whole wheat flower
pork meal (digestable at 94 %

protein 27%
fat 11%
fiber 3.5 %
Humidity 10%
calcium 1.8 %
phosphorus 1.2 %

he said it was the best for chow
He lied. Chicken meal isn't real meat, it's what's left over after they process the chicken for human consumption. Corn is bad for any animal, it turns into sugar in their systems, (does the same for us, remember it's not really a grain it's a legume) and that sugar causes excessive weight gain, skin problems, and problems with their pancreas. Whole wheat is another issue, but causing allergies is it's number one proplem. Barley, rice, sweet potatoes, these are the best carbs for dogs. Pork meal is the same as chicken meal, it's what's left over from the processing of the pig. Meat-meals and Meat by-products are cheap ingredients because they are litterlly swept up from the floor.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I feed my Chowdren only Wellness brand dry food and wet, and the snacks in their line. It truly is good healthy food for my Chow Chows. :)
***** Lobis Cunami *****
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

where i come from ive never seen any of the kinds you say, here theres chow chow, pedegrie, iams and other cheap kinds
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Where are you from, country-wise? If you are in America, you need to visit a petstore such as Petsmart or Petco. If you are outside the US, you will need to research brands that are available. We have one member from Paris, France that had to look long and hard to find food for her sweet girl, who is also highly allergic.
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

im in lachute quebec canada, its about 1 hr to montreal and 3 hrs from ottawa ontario
valerierichard27
Rank 1
Rank 1

my mother in law came today and told me te feed nelly some rice with her food she said thats good for her?? does anyone have home made recepies
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Rice is good for them. Many dog foods are made with it. And on special occations I'll give mine some rice mixed with diced, grilled chicken. Otherwise I feed them Nature's Recipe.
Jess
FNG
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FNG »

Bonjour valerierichard27, I am in Longueuil.
I feed Nutro which is readily found at Mondou.
I also alternate with the Costco brand Chicken or Lamb + Rice and IAMS brand.
Anyway my boy does not eat the commercial food as is. I always have to add
some meat to his bowl. So do not spoil him now ( like I did with mine ) by
adding stuff to his food or else he will demand it and will not eat.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Here's a couple of recipes I make for my two furkids. They make a lot and I just freeze it in pint sized freezer bags so I can thaw a single meal at a time.

Beef Stew for Dogs
2 lb low fat beef
4 Tbsp Olive Oil
6 large potatoes
6 large carrots
4 Celery Sticks
8 cups beef stock (I use low sodium)
Dice beef. Brown in olive oil in stockpot. Add stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer.
Dice veggies. Add to pot. Simmer until tender and stock reduced to desired level.

Turkey Rice Dog Food
2 lb ground turkey
2 cup rice
1 bag frozen green beans
2 boxes frozen spinach
1 can mackerel
4 eggs
Thaw veggies. Place veggies in food processor with eggs and mackerel. Blend.
Place in stock pot, add turkey and rice. Cover with at least 6 cups of water. Simmer for a minimum of 2 hours stirring occasionally and adding waters as needed.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868