Chow cross

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Chow cross

Post by lola chow »

It might be a daft question but how do you know if your Chow is a cross ?
Especially if its been crossed with a similar type dog ? :?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Chow cross

Post by Mia »

Hmmm...not a bad question.
I don't know.
I would guess that you can check if they have any pink on their tongues - any pink would indicate a mix.
Other than that, I guess you would have to do that DNA thing. They have this place where you can send a DNA swab of the inside of your dog's mouth and send it to them and they tell you what kind or kinds of breed your dog is.
Mia
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Its really hard to figure out a BEAR COAT SHAR PEI ..if its mixed in or even if its p.b... They look like a smooth coat chow somewhat , but Shar peis also have the purple tongue and smooshed faces.. We almost ended up with a bear coat shar pei while looking for a chow.. if you google bear coat shar peis you'll see what I mean.. The shelter thought it was a smooth coat , but when we got there, the ears gave it away.. teacup shape .
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I never knew there was such a thing as a bear coat shar pei. The ears are a bit of a give away. You learn something new every day on this site. Thank you Nancy :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lola chow »

if they where crossed would they still have a blue tongue say with a akita ?
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

It could very could well have a purple tongue , our chow/shepherd had a purple tongue .. and our pug/shar pei had a very purple tongue.
128.JPG
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Wow, never new the bear coat existed
http://www.sandyshreusharpei.com/page5.asp

Duff is more a Shar Pei cross then a Chow cross but we were originally told by the pound he was a Chow x Shar pei. I think any dog with a blue/ purple tounge is classifed Chow cross. However many people dont realise other dogs have colored tounges. Duff's tounge is almost black along with 90% of his gums.

We know Duff is cross shar pei as he also suffers from Cutaneous Mucinosis http://www.kavishi.freeserve.co.uk/shar ... oblems.htm. But Duff is what sparked our intrest in Chows and we always call him a Chow x. We have fostered a Shar Pei from the pound and Duff is very different from a Shar Pei at the same time.

It was these photos which we reckon Duff looks half Chow, hence why we got a Smooth Chow (Winston)
http://chowswho.free.fr/pedigree/paladin.php
http://www.smooth.ru/b/nikaE.shtml

Duff Duff

Our Shar Pei, Had him for 4 months, was such a cute little boy
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

If you go to Petfinder, you will see alot of Chow mixes being advertised as Chows. One thing I look at is the leg bones. Mixes have longer, more delicate looking bones. Next, look at the head structure. It is hard to tell a Chow with marginal pedigree from some mixes, but if the legs already look suspicious, and the head isn't right, you may have a mix. The tailset can also be an indicator, and of course tongue color. Body proportion and coat color/length should also give you information. Personally, If you aren't showing or buying from a breeder, a mix can be every bit as regal as a PB. If you have your heart set on a PB and the pup you want looks suspicious, wait, and go to a more reputable breeder.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Shiloh is a mix and her tongue is completely purple. She's got the big head, too. She can ignore me like the typical Chow.
Nahkohe could almost pass for a PB except he has a spotty purple tongue and he's taller than a typical Chow. He's also very good at ignoring me. #-o
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

The purple tongue comes with more breeds than you might expect including Belgian Sheepdogs (look like a black german shepherd). And if you are looking at a pup it is even harder to tell if you have a mix or a purebred. You can get a DNA test but I don't know how long it takes.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
woof_pack
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by woof_pack »

My two are sisters and are mixes (shepherd mixes, best guess!). I fostered 4 of their littermates as well and they all looked similar but different. One could have passed for a purebred. Two had absolutely solid purple tongues. The others had lots of purple spots except for one of my girls who has a completely pink tongue. Really interesting!
lightforce18
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lightforce18 »

Yogi doesnt have the fluffy fur like most chows. But his parents were super fluffy short chows. Dunno how he didnt come out like them lol
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

I don't believe Belgian Sheepdogs are supposed to have black tongues. I believe it is just meant that they are allowed black spots. Many breeds can have black spots and not be Chow or Shar-pei. Chows, Shar Peis are the only AKC breeds allowed to have solid black tongues. Chinese Foo Dogs and Eurasiars are non-AKC breeds that have primarily have black tongues, but their lineage is linked to Chows.

Carter is 75% Chow and he has a solid black tongue, but some pink on his gums. I thought he was a smooth coat because of this. He is 25% husky, which allowed for the pink in his mouth.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!