Breeder Questions

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Breeder Questions

Post by chewfozz »

Hi there! I am currently looking into purchasing a chow chow puppy from a breeder which is something that I have never done before. I was hoping to rescue a purbred chow chow puppy but we do not seem to be having any luck. I was hoping that those of you who have purchased from a breeder could give me tips and questions to ask. Also, the breeder is pretty far away and while we do not mind making a car or plane ride I was wondering if you have ever had your dog shipped to you without visiting the breeder's home? I know of one who has, but I was wondering if there were others.

Thank you,

Stephanie
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Breeder Questions

Post by Sirchow »

We did exactly that. What happened was I had been offered three different puppies by breeders the first I just didn't like her style of chows, second was really bad time for me - my Mum was terminally ill and third puppy I don't know why I turned it down. These were all breeders I had contacted in the past. Then out of the blue someone heard I had been looking and the man who was to take her last puppy changed his mind. In the UK the chow world is very small and I knew who the father was owned by and I knew who the breeder was friendly with and what circles she moved in. I had a really bad back and could not make the journey the whole way to see the puppy and she was nine weeks so ready to go. The breeder said she was willing to drive half way and would bring another woman with her who I knew to be a reputable breeder. So we did the one thing you are never supposed to do and met her in a car park half way never having seen home, parents, or puppy before that day! :shock: The rest is history I would not change my Bramble for anything. I guess although I did it all wrong I knew enough about the back ground to be comfortable or I would not have done it that way.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

It sounds like since the chow breeders are a very small group you knew what you were getting. Bramble is gorgeous! While I know the pups are beautiful (someone on the forum has a pup from this breeder) I guess I worry a bit buying instead of adopting. I am trying to conduct thorough research before I jump in with both feet. I am torn because I REALLY, REALLY want another purebred chow chow baby, but feel so badly that there are so many other dogs here in the US who need homes. I recently adopted a non-chow (Malamute) who I love to death, but there really isn't anything like a smooshy little chow baby who grows up to be a smooshie adult. :)
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Oh dont...I am trying to put the idea of a chow baby out my head. But everyone seems to be getting one at the moment........
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

oh, if I had the time, money and land I would have a boat load of chows. :D
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

There are more remarks farther down on the same forum titled TRUSTED BREEDERS. Remember they are out to get your money so have the dog checked out by a vet BEFORE you fall in love with the dog. There are some breeders that are unscrupulous.
GoHokiesGo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by GoHokiesGo »

Stephanie,

We went through this exact same situation just a few months ago before getting honey (we still have to come meet you since we're 10 minutes apart!). We spent several months searching through petfinder and other pet sites trying to find a chow to adopt. Most of the chows on petfinder were just mixed and looked nothing like a chow, we got close with a few chow rescues (there was a rescue in ohio that had purebred chows) but we unable to find the right one. The shelters have no clue about the dogs history, and most of the rescues didn't recommend their fosters with other dogs or children. We don't have kids yet, but wanted one that we could know for sure would do well with kids and other dogs/people.

We truly wanted to save one from a rescue/shelter, but didn't want to put ourselves into a bad situation in a few years when we start popping out kids. Long story short, after our search, we found a breeder in PA that was scaling back her pack of Chows and retiring some of her breeding dogs. All of her dogs were very well socialized with other dogs, along with the breeders 5 kids. We haven't regretted our decision one bit, as Honey loves all the kids in the neighborhood (they come running from all over the playground when I walk her) and does well with other dogs. She's probably the most docile, non-aggressive dog I've met, her only drawback is the loud snoring! :lol:

A few of the big things we looked for with our breeder were previous references, reference from Vet on overall health, asked lots of health questions to the breeder in general, and if she had a guarantee to take the dog back if we had any issues. We thought the last one was a good indicator on whether the breeder really cared about the dog or just getting her money. Ask as many questions as you can about the dog to see if they breeder really knows her, and then get the Vet/Health references on the animal. We traced back her pedigree as well to see if there were any health issues in the past.
~Jason and Grace

and Honey, our Chow Chow
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

We sepent months tracking down a good breeder. Tracked down owners, and asked about the chows. Checked with governing body for complaints. Eventually we settled on a breeder that seemed to care. Receently we went back for a reunion of chows, 25 showed up between 6mths and 13 years and we are so happy that we seemed to have gone to the right place. Ours are healthy, happy and we love 'em to bits!

If you message me I'd be happy to introduce you. They are not that far from you, well across the borader, but they ave lots of chows across the US and Canada. ;)
chowfur
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chowfur »

Hi,
Make sure the breeder actively shows their chows. They are under pressure from both their peers & the parent club, Chow Chow Club Inc, to produce healthy, sound dogs. Those who advertise on those puppy websites will mention the pups are show quality and have champion lines but that's not always true. Also they usually charge more for their pups than show breeders.

The breeder should ask you lots of questions. They should be concerned about finding the best home for their puppies- not making money. Ask about their dogs' health certifications such as OFA'd hips and patellas. Most of the chows in the USA have bad elbows right now so they probably won't have their elbows OFA'd.

Ask how many litters they breed per year. More than 3 and I would go elsewhere. They should first breed to create a better dog than their parents, and for a chow to show. They should not breed just to sell pets. IMO that would indicate a lack of care and quality.

Ask the breeder how they socialize their young puppies. They should work hard socialing their pups BEFORE they are placed.

Your pup may have a health problem down the road- no dog is perfect and no one can guarantee a perfectly healthy animal, not any rescue or humane society or show breeders.

Try to visit the kennel and see how the dogs interact with their humans and one another. They should not act aggressive in any way!!

I know a great breeder in Virgina. Send me an email and I will give you her name and contact info.

Amanda
chowsncats@hotmail.com
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

I posted this link awhile back about Bernese Mtn Dogs. It's the best checklist I've seen so far. Good luck!
http://www.bmdcgs.org/pdf/checklist.pdf
Schmooshie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Schmooshie »

This probably does not help much but I know a breeder in Hong Kong. He has two shops on Pet Street (Victory Avenue in Mongkok, Kowloon) and he can get your chows to China (do not ask) and anywhere else (he can apply them for pet passports or get the necessary documents). He is also a groomer and I can tell by the way he handles his pups and by the meticulousness of his store that he is a good guy. He currently has three baby cream chows, one baby red chow, one older cream chow, and one older red chow. If you are swinging by Asia you can take a look!
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

Chowfur and Amanda are totally on the right track.

Please take a look at these guidelines from the CKC
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?tabid=113

How to select a breeder of merit
http://www.merlinshope.com/2010/index.p ... ticleid=20

Make sure you have a health guarantee and that your breeder is will to reclaim your chow in the event you can no longer keep it.
and get in IN WRITING. In short, make sure you have a written contract that protects both parties.

Breeders who are members in good standing of their local chow club have signed a mandate adhereing them to a strong code of ethics.

Best of luck
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

I have also contacted the breeder where I got Chutters. She is AMAZING!
I have never seen anyone take such good care of her chows. She has several that are showing now, and winning up a storm. Her dogs are amazingly healthy and have the most wonderful personalities - so much so, you would wonder if they have any chow in them, LOL!!
You couldn't find a healthier, more carefully raised, more beautiful chow than from this lady.

I will let you know as soon as I hear from her.
I will also warn you - she will be asking lots of questions, LOL. She likes to make sure that her babies are going to really good homes.
Mia
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Ok, I spoke to Karen and she has a boy and a girl puppy.
Her name is Karen Tracy from Pazzaz kennels in PA. She is the lady who many months ago had the fire in her kennel. A fuel truck was delivering propand and there was leak in the hose - or something like that - and a fire exploded in her kennel killing 18 of 30 chows. (She had been boarding some other breeds of dogs there as well.) She was devestated. The chow community pulled together and have been helping her and standing besider her. She is well known the chow community and shows many, many of her chows.
She is fanatical about taking care of her chows and they have the most amazing temperaments. As well as being healthy and obviously beautiful. I got Chutters from her and he is most amazingly, mellow and sweet baby. I have never once heard him growl and he had maybe barked five times in two years. He loves everyone.

I believe that the two chow babies she has are the miracle babies who were born from the mommy who was in the fire and survived. You couldn't ask for better breeder. She is the most amazing woman ever.

She has a website too - Pazzaz kennels. Her number is 614-377-6837.
Mia