Chow calendar

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Chow calendar

Post by Sirchow »

I have read posts from previous years where people - not sure who, had made chow calendars that were for sale on the site. Is this something that would normally be done every year as I would love one (or more) with chows that I knew rather than a shop bought one? I missed last years one as I joined too late. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow calendar

Post by Lobis Cunami »

I missed out on buying the last calendar that was made for 2009 too. I hope someone does offer this again for 2010. :)
***** Lobis Cunami *****
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Yes, a couple of people volunteered to make last year's calendar. I have used Snapfish to make my own Chow Chow calenders.
I wish I could commit to doing one but I'm overload and would probably be late in delivery and/or make mistakes with mailing it out.
How about a coordinated effort amongst the members? One to gather the names & birthday*, one to gather the pictures (I think we should insist on one file type like .jpg), one to put the calendar together and place the order, and, lastly, someone to collect the money and get the calendars mailed out? Of course, if someone can do several tasks, that would be cool.

The calendars are probably going to be in the $18- $22 (USD) price range + shipping...depends on the company used.

*It might be best to set up a separate thread to keep track.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I would be happy to help but soon I will be going into the busiest time of the year for my shop(I hope!) so I would be a bit scared of commiting to too much. How did you do it before? Was it just photoes or were they each made relevant to the month etc? Are there any pix I could look at from other years? I am happy to mess around with photos and tidy them up etc Anyone else feel like getting envolved?
Penelope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Penelope »

I can make a calendar pretty easily with vista print if you want me to!

Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I make the layouts on the calendars sold here. It started as a request from Lou, and she sent me the finished product as a Christmas present, as well as all the owner's of the featured Chows.

The next year, she requested that I feature Chows that had passed, and that one was offered for sale to the CC.org community.

The calendar for this year featured Chows as Chowlings, along with their adult photo. That calendar can be seen here. http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... lit=volume

As to what I will be doing this year, I need to consult with Lou and see if she wants me to do one again, and if she has a theme in mind. I want her to be able to opt out if she chooses, she was the one who handled all the publications, and another member (Jerilyn) handled the ordering and money collection. It started as my Christmas gift from her, and has taken on a life of it's own.

I will contact Lou and see what she wants to do. She has been busy and away from the site as of late. If she wants to be the publisher again this year, I will put out a general announcement and request for photos if you want your Chow featured. Please keep in mind, there is only room for 12, and should there be more than 12 who want on the calendar, I will have to do a lottery, or put several Chows together on a given month. If Lou does not want to be the publisher, someone else will need to act as publisher, as well as treasurer.
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by summer_rose03 »

How about a theme of rescued or adopted Chows? (Seeings how that's where mine came from :P) Maybe with a little note on where they were adopted from or what kind of situation. No offense to the ones from breeders, but I think that would definitely be one I would like to buy. I didn't end up getting last year's as I was broke by the time the deadline came around.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Both the rescue and breeder Chows are great ambassadors...where possible let's show the Chows in their birth or gotcha months.....
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Also in some parts of the world there are no rescue chows. You could wait years for a rescue chow in the UK and still not be the person who was lucky enough to be its new Mom. :D
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

We had a rescue themed one a few years ago. I was lucky enough to be given mine as my Milo angel as featured. I like to see all chows, but love the idea of a little story about them :)
Thank you Elodie!
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

As Auddymay wrote, I've been busy (launching a biotech product). If anyone wants in on the calendars I make Auddymay for the holiday, I'll be happy to do a bulk order. However, it would have to be like last year when someone else took the individual orders and monies. And if you would like to receive them before Christmas, Auddymay's gonna have to start her scrapping pdq.

As far as themes for the calendars, I usually pick them and Auddymay creates the art. But we're open to whatever for the 2010 calendar. I have two that come to mind, a calendar with chow/s and their bipeds (an expanded version of last year's cover - see below); or maybe a calendar with chows from each continent a cc.org member resides. Our calendars are unique since it features Auddymay's creativity and highlights one of our chows. The 2007 calendar "Chows We Love: Breezy Adventures" were cc.org chows with a monthly theme (jan&feb/a chow's gotcha date, oct&dec/a chow wearing a costume). The 2008 calendar "Chows We Loved" was centered on cc.org chows who were at the rainbow bridge. The 2009 calendar "Chowlings We Love" is exactly what Auddymay described. A scrapbook page of a cc.org chow as a chowling and as a grown up chow. If you want something written about the chow it will have to be embedded in the scrap page Auddymay creates. Keep that in mind.

Here are two threads if the newbies want to see how the calendars looked:

2008 http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... it=auction#
2009 http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... r&start=50#

So, if you want to choose a theme and if someone wants to do the order taking, tell Auddymay and she'll keep me posted.
Attachments
2009 cover.jpg
2009 cover.jpg (85.4 KiB) Viewed 7765 times
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Any new information about the calendar yet?
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Anyone who wants to order a calendar, and submit photos for use on the calendar, please PM me directly, or make your intentions known in this posting. I like Lou's idea of featuring the owners with their Chows, but I know alot of owners do not wish to see themselves featured. I like the idea of representing many different places too.

SO- let me know if you want your Chow- past or present- featured. As I get more photos and requests, I can work out the layouts in a more clear and concise format. Above all- as I tell my DH all the time- I am not a psychic. I cannot divine that you wish your Chow to be featured, no matter how cute they are. While it is true I sometimes randomly choose a Chow, it is usually based on a pose, or photo quality, not on anything personal. Don't be shy, and also, if you have more than one Chow or if your Chow is not a PB, it is not a problem.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

I'd like to have Tippsy and/or Jasper featured. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

So far, only 4 months are spoken for...anyone else? Speak up, we have many beautiful Chows here. Don't be shy! :mrgreen:
Cara&Haley
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cara&Haley »

Cara & Haley would like to be in it! =P~ =P~
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Will the chows be featured following their month of birth? (I think you already got one for Coco's month) (which is perfectly fine if that's the case of course).
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Lou does the month assignment. Alot of Chowlings share the same spring and summer months, so she will sometimes place according to the layout theme in the event of multiples in a given month. For example, Lily is a June girl, but last years calendar featured photos of her in the snow, so Lou assigned a winter month. She really does her best to have a Chow in their birth month, whenever possible.

For those who want their star's featured, look for some photos for me to work with. I will go through the gallery, but if you have some favorites let me have them! Give me a location. When I did the recent layout of Maxwell, I actually raided David's Photobucket account.
Lobis Cunami
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Lobis Cunami »

Lobis Cunami and Teddy would love to be in it too, of course we would want to purchase the calendar too.
***** Lobis Cunami *****
Merlin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Merlin »

We do have a really nice chow rescue calendar at
http://www.cafepress.com/merlinshope.153297301

All proceeds go to rescue.
Thanks
:D
NEVER Support Back Yard Breeders & Puppy Mills
Contact Your local Chow Chow Association to find your Breeder of Merit!
Better Yet ! Adopt!
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I checked it out Merlin. It is a really cute calendar. I am not trying to take from your rescue, but this is something we have done for 4 years now. I would encourage anyone not wanting one of my calendars to check out the Merlin calendar. It really is for a good cause. If you want this one featuring our gang, that is fine as well.
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

My 2 (Mailie and Louie) would love to be in it. I have a million pictures of them but not very good ones of Mailie. I have the most trouble photographing my black chows! Some pictures you can't see her at all. Just in case you need it, Mailie was born Dec. 5 and Louie was born Feb. 14. Regardless, I would love to buy one.
Lesley
Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Just incase you need it:

Tippsy's birthday is May 4

Jasper's birthday is October 31
And his gotcha day is December 31

I'm more than interested in buying one of your calendars Audrey, weather Tip and Jazz are in it or not. I love your work. :)
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Please read my thread reading birthdays/gotcha dates. http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... 38#p169038