Just curious...

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Just curious...

Post by CHowgal »

Does anybody else have a male who doesn't hike his leg when he pees? Jazz is about 11 months old now and he still hasn't ever hiked his leg. He squats each and every time... I know it's not a serious problem, but I'm just curious why he doesn't? Any ideas?
Jess
hmp2000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Just curious...

Post by hmp2000 »

My male didn't "lift" until he was almost two. I would like to think that is something that is instinctual and will happen as he matures.
A Second Chance Puppies and Kittens Rescue
www.asecondchancerescue.org
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Hee Hee, Chutters is almost two (in about 20 days) and hes barely even squats.

He just stands there, looks proud of himself and let'e 'er rip.

I don't think he has ever seen anyone lift his leg, so he just doesn't know.
Mia
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

:lol: That's funny. Chutters is such a character.

See though, the weird thing is that Tippsy lifts her leg and Jasper squats... Lol. And our yorkie started lifting his leg by the time he was about Jasper's age so it got me wondering about it. :lol:
Jess
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Teddy lifted his leg when he came to me. He was neutered that day and after about a week or two he stopped lifting his leg. He just leans forward slightly and lets it rip, just like Chutters.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

As I understand it, leg lifting is learned from watching other males. The funniest thing I ever saw was my Boxer the first time he tried it. He almost fell and peed on himself.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My little Welsh boy Hector, the Standard Schnauzer never cocked his leg up in the garden but when I took him for his walk, he cocked his leg up every tree and lamp post. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

Auddymay wrote:As I understand it, leg lifting is learned from watching other males. The funniest thing I ever saw was my Boxer the first time he tried it. He almost fell and peed on himself.
Jazz has seen Max lift his leg a million times before, but he's never attempted it himself.... That visual was funny though. :lol:
Judy Fox wrote:My little Welsh boy Hector, the Standard Schnauzer never cocked his leg up in the garden but when I took him for his walk, he cocked his leg up every tree and lamp post. :lol:
:lol: Jasper doesn't do it EVER. Not during walkies. Not when he's exploring in the woods. And not even when he's running around our yard...
Jess
willfrommaine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by willfrommaine »

It might be a dominance thing. I read that alpha wolves do it but not the subordinates.
-will
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I have three males and only Teddie lifts his leg. Boogie does the lean forward stance. He tried lifting his leg after we started fostering dogs that did but he couldn't do it. He was really just pulling the leg straight up like a dog who is limping. :oops: Poor Fozzie has trouble even standing so he just stands and goes. He does HAVE to mark over anything Teddie has gone on though so it is quite interesting watching him try to figure out how he will get his pee up that high. :lol:
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

lol Never had a male but Kyra lifts her leg everytime....Does that count?? :lol:
Anyone know why???

Thanks Sweetpea!
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CHowgal »

willfrommaine wrote:It might be a dominance thing. I read that alpha wolves do it but not the subordinates.
-will
I was thinking that too, but I used to have a male poodle and a male pomeranian and they both lifted their legs...
Boogie and Linda wrote:I have three males and only Teddie lifts his leg. Boogie does the lean forward stance. He tried lifting his leg after we started fostering dogs that did but he couldn't do it. He was really just pulling the leg straight up like a dog who is limping. :oops: Poor Fozzie has trouble even standing so he just stands and goes. He does HAVE to mark over anything Teddie has gone on though so it is quite interesting watching him try to figure out how he will get his pee up that high. :lol:
:lol: The yorkie thinks he has to mark over anything not only Tippsy and Lil Bit's gone on, but also that Jasper has... And Jazz takes it upon himself to mark over where Tippsy's gone. :lol:
vicster605 wrote:lol Never had a male but Kyra lifts her leg everytime....Does that count?? :lol:
Anyone know why???
:lol: Tippsy lifts her leg most of the time... I'd like to know why too. :lol:
Jess
Tsunami22
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Tsunami22 »

Our english bulldog is just around tow and only recently started lifting his leg!

I had a female chow growing up and she lifted hers all the time!

A friend of mine has a shephard/malamute mix around 2 yrs that never does it and it drives her crazy!

I wonder what makes one dog lift his or her leg... quite strange. I've just googled it an read a couple of things that aren't SUPER DEPENDABLE sources (what is on the internet these days?) that say it hs to do with dominance. The higher a dog can lifts it's leg the taller (stronger, more fearful, more dominant?) it appears to be to other dogs who happen to sniff around. http://www.sarahsdogs.com/qa/why_do_dog ... eeing.html Here's just one of the sites.
Loha'sDad
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Loha'sDad »

Loha has a very large repertoire of peeing positions----- from standard leg hike to dainty squat with innumerable combinations and variations thereof. He likes to keep me laughing and guessing. :P

Loha's Dad
Mailie's Mom
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mailie's Mom »

Louie does not lift his leg either! Sometimes I wish he would. When we are out and about (he goes everywhere with me) I have no warning that he is going to pee so I keep walking and talking and he is peeing everywhere! He pees on concrete, grass wherever. When he was smaller I picked him up a couple of times not knowing he was peeing and needless to say, got wet. :postit-razz: He is so big and his hair almost touches the ground, I have no idea how he does not pee all over himself. Every once in a while he takes one foot off the ground but no squatting at all. Mailie always squats like a lady.

I took this picture of him yesterday.

Mailie ...............................................................................................................................Louie
Thanks sweetpea!
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh that's so funny. That's the same "oh-so-proud-of-myself" look that Chutters has. That's the only way I know he's peeing.

And funny thing, Mia is the one who marks and occasionally lifts her leg. She is so ALPHA. She must cover every other dogs scent, even when she has no pee left, she makes the stance!!

She's such a silly girl.
Mia
TJordan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TJordan »

Well Louie, Butters and Chutters are very similar. LOL He will lift on the occasion of Tree Peeing. But usually he will stand and pee, sometimes he will lift a leg sort of off the ground while doing it , but not so much hiking. LOL
SweetPea Rocks!!