2 chows in apartment

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

2 chows in apartment

Post by Coco Chow »

If you have 2 chow chows and you live in an apartment with them, not a house, please tell me how this is working for you.
Are 2 more difficult than 1, and why?
Thanks!
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
CHowgal
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: 2 chows in apartment

Post by CHowgal »

I know I don't live in an apartment, but I just wanted to let you know that I haven't found having 2 chowlings any more difficult than just one. :)
Jess
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

For us two dogs was definitely easier than one once we got past the small puppy age and endless garden visits. But not having a garden I am not sure how that works anyway. We are spoilt. You have to remember that the one dog was Alfie so almost anything would have been easier than that. :lol:
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Oh, ho, is Miss Coco going to get a little brother or sister?????
Mia
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I live in an apartment and have had two for a very long time, first Darkwind and Firesong and now Firesong and Dreamdancer. It's no more difficult than having two in a house I think. You have to watch for any issues over food and/or treats but other than that they do just fine. It's a bit more work taking these two for a walk, but that's just their energy level, they like to "GO!" so walking them is work. If your apartment is really small, like a studio or really small one bedroom you have to make sure they each have a place to go to be away from the other at times, but if you have a bigger place, (I moved into a two bedroom for this reason) they will do fine.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Coco Chow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Coco Chow »

Our apartment is big enough for more than one chow... I just want to be sure before I get a little brother for Coco that it really is a good idea in an apartment in the city.
Thanks Victory. Are you the only care giver for them? or do you split roles with someone (and if yes, how?) Do you walk them together? With one or two leashes?
Thank you :D .
Elodie
please help feed animals in shelters for free, click daily on the yellow button http://clicanimaux.com/
Layla
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Layla »

They'll be fine. I had Millie & Alf in an apartment & no worries at all. The main issue with getting a second one is that you need to make sure they get individual time with you, not just together all the time. I fell down on that with Alf & it was hard for him to be confident without Millie there. I extra potty trips for the puppy help a lot with that :roll: :wink: I make Millie stay home & then take her for a walk alone, she loves the mama time & it helps her not to get jealous. Two is more fun imo!
Thank you Elodie!
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

I had Chana and Tasha, my first two chows in an apartment. The only negative to two in an apartment is the noise of double zoomies for the downstairs neighbor. We lived in a two flat and the downstairs tenant had a dog too so we got the landlord's permission to fence in a small area for the pups. But for exercise I walked them both together twice a day. I tried the split leash thing but they weren't too fond of it. So I usually just used two leashes and tried to stay untangled. They eventually learned that if they went around me or each other the walk came to a temporary halt, not a desirable state for the two locomotives I had back then.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Awww...a baby brother! They have company in each other when you are away, a big plus. Mine love to go with me, and I cannot take one without the other, without some jealousy, so try to get them some alone time from early on. Also, I can pet Pip without Lily caring, but I cannot pet Lily without Pip butting in.
Theo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Theo »

A new brother for Coco would be wonderful Elodie!
Titus is still adjusting, but has come a long way in just a matter of days.
I'm sure when Izzi gets out of the puppy stage, they will be best friends.
It's exhausting, but the end results are worth it!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Coco Chow wrote:Our apartment is big enough for more than one chow... I just want to be sure before I get a little brother for Coco that it really is a good idea in an apartment in the city.
Thanks Victory. Are you the only care giver for them? or do you split roles with someone (and if yes, how?) Do you walk them together? With one or two leashes?
Thank you :D .
Yes, I'm the only care giver for them. Just me and my two chowdern. I always walk them together, (I really don't have time for two separate walks with my nutty schedule), besides they don't like being split up, they are are always together and that's fine. Firesong doesn't do well alone, she never has. I have two leashes, a blue one and a pink one...yep very traditional boy and girl leashes.

Like someone else said two doing zommies is a bit noisy, but I live on the bottom floor so there is no one beneath me to be upset by it.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!