What causes fatal bloat?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Luna's Mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

What causes fatal bloat?

Post by Luna's Mom »

What causes fatal BLOAT in Chows. I have had many Chows and never heard of the problem except in horses. Is it their food - or what?
Schmooshie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: What causes fatal bloat?

Post by Schmooshie »

I had the same question and was sent to wikipedia:
Bloat is a medical condition in which the stomach becomes overstretched by excessive gas content. It is also commonly referred to as torsion, gastric torsion, and gastric dilatation-volvulus (GDV) when the stomach is also twisted. The word bloat is often used as a general term to cover gas distension of the stomach with or without twisting. The name comes from the Middle English blout, meaning soft or puffed, which is from the Old Norse blautr, meaning soft or soaked.[1] Meteorism, its name derived from the writings of Hippocrates, is now rarely used in English. The condition occurs most commonly in domesticated animals, especially ruminants and certain dog breeds.

In dogs, gas accumulation in the stomach may cause or be caused by a volvulus, or twisting, of the stomach, which prevents gas from escaping. Deep-chested breeds are especially at risk. Mortality rates in dogs range from 10 to 60 percent, even with treatment.[2] With surgery, the mortality rate is 15 to 33 percent.[3]

X-ray of a dog with bloat. Note the classic "double bubble" pattern indicating that stomach torsion has occurred in this caseContents [hide]
1 Causes
1.1 Dietary factors
1.2 Breed susceptibility
2 Pathology
3 Symptoms
4 Diagnosis
5 Treatment
5.1 First Aid
5.2 Veterinary treatment
5.3 Prevention and reduction of recurrence
6 Prognosis
7 Bloat in cattle
8 References
9 External links

[edit] Causes
Bloat in dogs is likely caused by a multitude of factors, but in all cases the immediate prerequisite is a dysfunction of the sphincter between the esophagus and stomach and an obstruction of outflow through the pylorus.[4] Some of the more widely acknowledged factors for developing bloat include increased age, breed, having a deep and narrow chest, stress, eating foods such as kibble that expand in the stomach, overfeeding, and other causes of gastrointestinal disease and distress. Studies have indicated that the risk of bloat in dogs perceived as happy by their owners is decreased, and increased in dogs perceived as fearful. This may be due to the physiological effects of the dog's personality on the function and motility of the gastrointestinal system.[5] Dogs with inflammatory bowel disease may be at an increased risk for bloat.[6]

X-ray from the underside of a dog with intestinal GDV. The dark area is the build up of gas.[edit] Dietary factors
One common recommendation in the past has been to raise the food bowl of the dog when it eats. However, studies have shown that this may actually increase the risk of bloat.[7] Eating only once daily[8] and eating food consisting of particles less than 30 mm in size also may increase the risk of bloat.[9] One study looking at the ingredients of dry dog food found that while neither increased grains, soy, or animal proteins increased risk of bloat, foods containing an increased amount of added oils or fats do increase the risk, possibly due to delayed emptying of the stomach.[10]

[edit] Breed susceptibility
The five breeds at greatest risk are Great Danes, Weimaraners, St. Bernards, Gordon Setters, and Irish Setters.[11] In fact, the lifetime risk for a Great Dane to develop bloat has been estimated to be close to 37 percent.[12] Standard Poodles are also at risk for this health problem,[13] as are Doberman Pinschers and Rottweilers.[14] Basset Hounds have the greatest risk for dogs less than 23 kg/50 lbs. [2]
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Put bloat in the search, and you will get all kinds of information. Sadly, it is not an uncommon occurance around here.
Chow-tastic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow-tastic »

should dogs not be fed kibble because of the risks?
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Kibble is okay, just don't let them over eat or scarf the food. They should not be active after eating either.
Chow-tastic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Chow-tastic »

I find Pepper doesn't eat all her food anyway. When she was much young she used to eat lots... I suppose she was growing more. Now even if I make her a big bowl she tends to eat a little, and then come back throughout the day, but she hardly ever finishes a whole bowl. I give her a bowl in the morning and one in the evening after walk...I'd say she eats about half of each, sometimes more of the one in the evening. For treats she also gets a chicken leg, tuna and salmon (obviously not all in one go hehehe :D )
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Mine are grazers as well. Chows are not known for being gobblers, but of course, some are, and those should be fed in increments.
AlwaysTango
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AlwaysTango »

Immediately after Missy passed away my vet told me that despite many of the ideas about feeding, most cases of bloat are caused by a genetic predisposition and there isn't anything I could have done (good or bad) that would have necessarily altered what happened. He then told me that they can do a preventative stomach tack for Chows, and he would recommend it for any future Chows I get. They did the tack on my Chow that survived bloat over a decade ago, but I didn't know that they do it as a preventative.
We have a new addition to the family, actually she's been here for about two weeks. It's really sad because she and Missy were fast friends, and since the new little Chow came to live with us Missy was the most out of her shell that I've ever seen her . The new addition is about 3 1/2 and I am getting her spayed next week. I talked to my secondary vet (the one that does Zilla's acupuncture) and she too recommended the tack, especially since we are going to be doing surgery anyway. When my new one comes home she will be spayed and tacked, and I think that all future Chows will be too. 25% of the Chows I have had have suffered bloat...I think it's time to do whatever is necessary to stop it...in Missy's memory.