General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Cat scratch

Post by user952824 »

Hi to everyone,

Our feral cat scratched my chow on his nose. I spoke to the Vet who said just to watch it. Should I be doing something different? Will the scratch possibly leave a scar that is not black as his nose is? Of course if I put anything on it, he'll simply just lick it off. I am guessing just give it healing time. I also do know that chows do sleep alot but since this scratch he is sleeping a lot. Guess it is just my imagination.
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Cat scratch

Post by Boogie and Linda »

I would watch for signs of infection as an infection on the face can be quite dangerous. Did the vet tell you to clean it with anything? As for the the scarring, I am not sure. I had a foster that attacked our cat but he ended up with his face and nose cut open. He healed just fine without any scarring.
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Just watch for infection (swelling, oozing, etc). Cat bites are worse than scratches, so it isn't as bad as it could be. Keep it clean..most noses are pretty clean unless they're rummaging in things. You can use betadine if you need to clean it. Putting an ointment on is fairly unhelpful since it usually gets licked off.

Depending on how deep it is, it may leave a mark for a bit after it heals, but many times it will fill back in over time. Aesop sported a white spot on his nose for about a month as a pup after a run in with the parrot, but he's now back to fully black. (and more respect for the bird)
user952824
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by user952824 »

Thanks for the replies. I also hear that the scratch mark will disappear in due time. I am happy about that. I am keeping a very close watch on his nose for any infections. It doesn't appear to be a deep scratch. Again, thanks.