Overbreeding questions and can the AKC tell if?

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

rufnedge-2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Overbreeding questions and can the AKC tell if?

Post by rufnedge-2 »

Does anyone know about overbreeding? What are the characteristics and diseases that a dog can have that came from an overbred female?

What is true overbreeding, a female who is bred each heat cycle for 1 or more years?

I understand a mother can "blow their coat" (coat becomes short and general overall appearance not so good) because the pups rob her of her nutrition, correct?

Does the AKC flag breeders who have registered puppies from the same mother and father each heat cycle? Do they care?

I am aware of Investigations and Inspections division of the AKC and haven't contacted them yet. Is there a way to locate the litter mates of my chow chow and past litter mates?
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Overbreeding questions and can the AKC tell if?

Post by Grab »

I think a male bred over a certain number of times in their lifetime must be dna tested. Not sure if the same rule applies to females.

A female can lose a bit of coat quality with a litter, but that can happen with even a first litter.

I'm not aware of any health signs on a dog from an overbred female, unless they inherited a genetic condition..but that has nothing to do with overbreeding.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

A puppy from a female that has been overbred can have health proplems stemming from lack of nutrition during gestation. The loss of coat quality is only one sign of the stress pregnancy puts on the mother's body, repeated pregnancies without the time to regain complete health eventually results in sick puppies. These problems can include, mal=formations of bone, heart problems, and other things.

And no the AKC doesn't do anything about it....if they did puppy mills wouldn't be able to get papers for the puppies they sell.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Buddha4me
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Buddha4me »

I got my little guy from a breeder in my state. Visited the facility, and was very happy with all of thier Chows and thier wonder temperment. Buddha's mom is the whitest cream I have ever seen. Anyway, someone that purchased one of his litter mates must have contacted the AKC for a DNA test. I got a letter from the AKC, but was not able to be put in contact with the other owners. I should have beeen more direct with the breeder in requesting contact info for other owners, but I don't know if I were in her position that I would feel comfortable releasing other owners contact info, but she probably could have worked something out. Buddha's mom was probably too young to be breed, and Buddha is now 2 years old has had 3 knee surgeries and already has terrible arthritis. The AKC will do a thorough investigation if you have concerns. The results that we got back, was that Buddha's mother's DNA could not be verified do to the lack of prior generations DNA accesibility. Our breeder purchased the mom from someone they felt was reputable, but the other lines in her family had died off, or been sold, as one breeder went out of business for health reasons. Long story short, too late, yes the AKC will do a very good investigation, but not likely to put you in contact with other owners, but the breeder should be able to extend your info to other owners upon your request. Good luck, and I hope you don't have joint health issues like we do.
Image Bouncing Buddha Bear