Questions about adopting adult chows

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Questions about adopting adult chows

Post by onthemove »

We are considering adopting an adult chow. We recently lost our chow boy that we had for over 14 years. He was the only chow we have ever had, and we had him from a puppy, so I have a few questions about adopting an older dog.

Our only experience has been with our male chow that we had neutered just before he turned 6 mos. That was the age his breeder recommended. I was told at the time that it would help keep him from becoming aggressive.

Our guy hated the vet, and did not like little kids, but otherwise was quite friendly, which we attributed to the neutering.

We are considering a male that has not been neutered yet. He is almost 3 years old. We have some concern that perhaps an unneutered male might be harder to handle as an adult. Also, if we did get him how long would you wait before neutering him. I hate to take him immediately for a painful procedure.

We also wondered if there is much difference in personality between an adult male and an adult female. I know all chows have different personalities, but I wondered if in general whether a female was more gentle than a male. Is either one more protective of the home than the other?
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Questions about adopting adult chows

Post by Mia »

Sorry to hear about your chow baby. It's great that you are ready for a new chow baby.
I think that males are typically more loving and more aggressive and the females are not as agressive (unless of course you get an alpha girl like I have) and not usually as easy going. Of course, every chow is different.

I would let him get comfortable with you and then get him neutered as soon as possible. That way you would only have an unneutered male for a short time.

The biggest difference is the age. When you get an older chow his personality is there, so it's easy to see. When you get a baby, you never know what their personality is going to be. Of course, when they are little, you can influence their personality a bit.

Females are not neccessarily gentler than males, in fact, in some ways I think that most males are more easy going. Certainly in my case, it's true.

Chows are not ordinary dogs and have such HUGE personalities - it's so hard divide the differences between males and females.

Sorry, that wasn't much help, was it?
Mia
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

I agree with Mia. I'd let him get used to his new home and then have him neutered . We adopted Molly from a rescue when she was 1 or 2. She is good with other dogs (actually better than our retriever mix!), doesn't mind new people and in general came to us and fit right in. I don't know about personality differences between males and females. Our first chowmix was a male with very typical chow characteristics and he was wonderful and so is Molly! I would say that she is a better watchdog than he was, though. I love hearing of people who take an adult chow because the puppies have a much easier time getting homes than adults. Keep us posted!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Nita F.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Nita F. »

I'm sorry for the loss of your chow.

I can only speak about our 2 female chows. The first girl, Meka, was a stray puppy about 12 weeks old. Her personality was the typical aloof, not so friendly chow. She was fine with my husband and I, but rarely sought attention from our guests. She did not care for children but loved the cats she shared her home with. She tolerated other dogs but it wasn't by her choice. We lost her at 15 years old.

Mimi is a Katrina rescue and was about 5 years old when we adopted her 2 years ago. Her personality is the opposite of Meka's. She is friendly, enjoys being around other dogs, and adores children as well as our cats. She is very lovable and does anything to please us.

When we first met Mimi at the no-kill shelter, we were told she was an alpha personality chow. She was so busy bossing the other dogs in the room she didn't pay much attention to us and we were not able to tell much about her personality. But my husband fell in love with her and she later came home with us. I thank him every day for her! Today we rarely see the alpha side of her. Even though she adores hubby, I am her person of choice.

For us the adoption of an adult chow was the perfect choice since we both work. A puppy needs more time and attention than we can provide at this time. Both of our girls have been good guard dogs though I wouldn't count on Mimi to protect me. I commend you for considering adopting an adult chow. Best wishes in your search.

Nita
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Since I fostered for a rescue, I have had a few adult unneutered chows. Mine were neutered either right before I picked them up or very shortly after coming to me. I preferred it that way. I have other dogs that they have to fit in with so I didn't want to risk bringing in one not neutered. I didn't have any issues with them afterward and some were even seniors.

Where are you considering adopting him from? If it is from a shelter or rescue they usually require that you have it done before you can take them home. As for male vs. female, I have only fostered one female chow and she was a love to us but boy did she run the male chows. They were terrified of her.
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

Thank you all for the responses and condolences.

Every bit of info helps. Most seem to agree that he needs to settle in a little before neutering, which is how I felt, too.

The chow we are looking at is not from a shelter, or rescue, so he will not be neutered before coming to us. We have the time for a puppy, but would rather adopt an adult dog if we find one we think will fit. My husband is very confident with dogs. He had some challenges with our previous chow that he handled very well, so he has no qualms at all. I am a little more concerned, but he assures me that he can handle the dog, and he will have me do all the feeding so the dog attaches to me more quickly.

What we loved best about our dog was his chow traits, so we are definitely sold on chows.

We should know next week if this will happen. Thanks for you help.
fillyok
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fillyok »

Congrats on your decision to adopt an adult chow. I've never had the pleasure of adopting a puppy, but have adopted 5 chow/mixes in the past few years. They ranged from 9 years to about 7 months when they came home with me. I will admit the older ones caused the least amount of trouble. :wink: Tod was about 7 months old when I found him and he was neutered only three days later, everything was fine, but he's also a golden/chow mix. He chewed a lot at the beginning. Bear came to me already neutered, so I'm not sure how he would've been unaltered. I have three females and will tell you they give me the most trouble. The males are much more affectionate and tend to listen better. The females are bossy and like to do as they please. It's really funny how different their personalities can be.

Good luck and can't wait to see pics of your new chow!!
“No one appreciates the special genius of your conversation like a dog does”...Christopher Morley
Sharons Chows
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sharons Chows »

I adopted my JR when he was 8 months and he tends to be quite neurotic, especially as he gets older...13 in 2 months.
But he is very affectionate and is still "my baby!"

My Cheyene was adopted at almost 4 and was spayed before she left the pound...Ohio Law! She was my concern since she was abused and kept caged all those years. I worked with her patiently and with lots of love and she came around just great.
I have had her 3 1/2 years now and she is so healthy and fit...and such a wonderful chowgirl.

Adopting an adult Chow is a real rescue since so many people want pups. He will be a wonderful addition.

JR AND CHEYENNE

another special from SWEETPEA PRODUCTIONS
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

Gender has nothing to do with aggressiveness. It has to do with many factors..from socialization, breeding, and possibly genetics. As with all dogs, you can have aggressiveness in both genders. Neither of my males have been at all aggressive. Neither with people nor when it comes to handling from myself, vets or groomers.

I'd meet the boy and see what his temperament is like and decide based on that.
nelliegirl
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nelliegirl »

I adopted Nellie about a year ago. She was 2 years old at the time. She was spayed at the shelter before I took her home and I would recommend getting it out of the way as soon as possible.

Nellie was very nervous when I brought her home she would pace for hours, she jumped at any noise in my apartment or outside this lasted about two weeks. She also did not eat for the first three days. I was really worried but slowly she came around. I honestly think it took about 7 months for her to be totally and completely comfortable in her surroundings. She now plays with toys, accepts treats (and actually will actually beg food...which surprised me and thrilled me!!) and chew bones. She still can be skittish at times with other dogs and people but once she knows you she loves you . She actually looks for her dog friends (which is kind of funny she will sit in my neighbors driveway and look to see if Scooter is coming out).

Nellie is a totally different dog then when I brought her home, physically and emotionally. You just need a little patience and you will be rewarded a hundred fold!!

I wish you the best of luck!!
onthemove
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by onthemove »

We looked for a good fit in an adult dog, but ultimately got a puppy. We have a unique lifestyle and it was suggested by several rescues and breeders that we get a puppy. We travel a lot and we live in a very rural area with lots of wild animals in our yard constantly. Many of the older dogs we looked at or inquired about had some kind of physical or emotional quality that ruled them out for our situation.

We have been delighted with the puppy we chose. We didn't really want to go through the puppy stage, but it has really been a joy for us. We feel renewed by this baby chow. He is a dear little boy. He is very different from the chow we lost, but he has brought us infinite pleasure and joy.

I wish I had a clue as to how to post a picture, but I don't.
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

Have you looked this link about posting a picture? http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2036
If you have .jpg pictures I can load them on my Glowfoto account and send you the bbcode links for you to post. Just PM me if you want to go that route.
We look forward to see your Chow-puppy pictures!
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

I am sorry for your loss, I have adopted 3 chows Maxwell was already neutered, Yoshi and Maxine were neutered/spayed before I got them If you get a chow from a rescue chances are it will be neutered before you get him, If not I would try to arrange him to be neutered and they you pick him up and take him home, it will give him a chance to be drugged up a bit but still realize that you will not hurt him and are there to take care of him. I always felt guilty when I picked up a pet after an operation because the give me the why did you do this to me look

good luck