General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hello I am New Here

Post by Jing »

Hello there,

My name is Lee and I hope you will not mind me joining you here as I am from the UK but my reason for joining is that I could not find a UK Chow Chow forum and very much wanted to find a forum to join just while I have my foster Chow Chow. I have fosteed many dogs over the years but never a Chow before I did lots of reserch on the breed before we took her in but thought if I needed any help a Chow Forum was going to be the place to be.

So our new Girl is called Jing and is three years old and was rescued from a puppy farm the only life she has known is as a breeding dog she knows nothing at all of a home life love or anything conected with a loving home life. She is balck but very sadly has been shaved due to her condition.

I have a large fur family all Rescues which include 2 Samoyeds a female aged 13 and a half a male ages 3 years TODAY :D 2 Westies aged 3 years and 7 years a Cocker Spaniel aged 7 years and a Chineses Crested Powderpuff aged 4 years and of course now Jing.

Lee & Jing
lola chow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Hello I am New Here

Post by lola chow »

hi lee and jing i am also in the uk welcome to the forum these guy will help you with anything to need to know they have a wealth of knowledge there are a few of us on here thatatre from the uk xxx
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

ciao
bonjour

Howdy

its a global village
lots of britts , some Oz landers

there is a european forum ,, netchows..

http://www.netchows.com/

there the fourm is Blue tounged talk

big welkome and Hiya from the postindustrial waste of tenneseee.
michael
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hi there and welcome. I am in Scotland so not so far away. As Lola chow says there are a few of us Brits here and it is a very friendly place where you can ask any questions. It seems to me you are pretty experienced as a dog owner but you may realise chow are not dogs they are chows!! The trouble is that you poor girl doesn't even know how to be a dog probably never mind a chow. What a poor wee sole and you are so good to take her and try and help. She must be so confused and scared. Please ask if you need any help.

Happy birthday to your Sammy by the way.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Of course you are welcome and bless you for fostering. I myself am a failed foster. Teddy was to be my foster chow, but alas, I am not strong enough to give up a chow.

He was also shaved when he came to me: Image
But he is now one fluffy boy: Image

He had spent the first 3-5 years of his life on a short chain in someone's yard and had a lot to learn about the pampered life my chows live here. It is delightful to watch them discover what their new life offers.

Love your foster, but be firm in dealing with her or she will end up in charge. If you are not familiar with it, do a site search for NILF (nothing in life is free) and start practicing it right away as it can make all the difference in the world. My Cinder is a rescue who soon thought she was the boss here. NILF worked wonders for us.

Ask any questions you have and share any pictures/stories. And once again, welcome to you both!!
Last edited by chow fancier on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerilyn
Banner courtesy of the amazing Sweetpea.

Until there are none, adopt one!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/631376
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/650868
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome! What a wonderful thing you are doing for Jing! I'd love to see pictures of her!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jing »

Hello,

Thanks so much for all your messages and Alfie's Birthday greeting :D I will do the best I can for Jing but she just has so much to learn but she does display some typical Chow behaviour she seems to quite like having a cuddle and has freely given some sloppy Chow kisses bless her. I hope a very Chow savvy home will come forward for her or someone that has a good knoledge of the breed.

Does her tail look right to you? I had always thought a Chows tail when shaved looked like Teddy's tail in his photo but Jings is like a Shar Pei tail. Teddy is lovely by the way :D

Thanks again

Lee and Jing
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I have never seen Brambles tail shaven but I would say that hers, by feel and look with fur, is more Jings shape than Teddy's. They probably vary. Perhaps our British chows have different shaped tails!

bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

LOOK at that
look

teddys pis shows GOLDEN eyes

what othern creaturre haven you evvver seen showed GOLDEN eyes ?>????

a most famous international chow shipper in OZ sent a pic one time of a room full of chow .. ALL golden Eye ..
deer are green ,, the ghost beastin the woods is blue.
Chow ..>> Gold ..

humm

mb
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

no bubble mine.. look at the pic and the color shown in reflect.. .. .. w.. what color ther shown.. ?? EH mate ??

check reflect from ather canids and what is seen ??
as i say .. homo sap sap shows devil red.. deer green ,.. other canids ?? // chow the golden eye ..
bub
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

bubba wrote:LOOK at that
look
teddys pis shows GOLDEN eyes
what othern creaturre haven you evvver seen showed GOLDEN eyes ?>????
mb
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Teddy's eyes are merely reflective, it is the light that is golden. He is blind.

Lee, Chows tails do come in different shapes. My Tasha's was curled like a telephone cord, slightly more than a full circle, all fluffy it sat on her back like a pom pom. I had a petsitter who delighted in sliding her hand through the circle and saying "what a lovely bracelet!" There is nothing wrong with Jing's tail.

It is, however, very unusual to be receiving purple kisses and hugs so early in your relationship. I think she is buttering you up for a forever home. Most chows are rather frugal with their affections.
Jerilyn

bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

i remarked on another forun abt chow eye reflect.. .. golden eye .. international famous OZ > GB animal freight forwarder responded not in word but in image ,, a room full of chow with Golden Eye..
show me a pic of another crature .. with the golden Eye ..

eh mate ??

i am sorry to be the way i am but i learned from the chow//

mb
Attachments
Golden eye
Golden eye
eye.jpg (3.64 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Dogdad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dogdad »

Hi Lee,

Welcome to you and your furkid. Thank you for choosing a rescue dog

David
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello Lee and welcome to you and all your furkids. :lol:
I am in the UK also and have two Chow ladies, Milly and Mabel.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jing »

Well Hello to you all :D and thanks for the welcome and I am glad I am welcome all be it for a short time I guess until Jing finds a home. We have just had a very specail moment that I cauptured on film Jing played for the first time it was so sweet I don't know if I am allowed to post links here but if I am and you would like to see Jing playing please let me know and I will post the link here.

Lee and JIng
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

We would most certainly love to see Jing playing. :D
Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jing »

Oh I am very pleased to share with you :D I think what made her wanted to play was that 3 of my dogs were laying very close to me playing and I think she just picked up the the happy play vibes..Sure made me happy anyway :D

Lee and Jing

http://www.dailymotion.com/user/Fluffte ... ay_animals
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

That was sweet Lee and I can understand why it made you happy - it made me smile and I called my husband to see. :lol:
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Oh, Jing is so cute and does look like hes enjoying all the attention and company. He plays with a toy for about as long as Nikki does too.. Throw the ball once or twice in the room and she gets it then thats it.. no more bored with that toy..hehe
We have thought maybe Nikki would be more playful if we fostered but we're still kickin that one around?
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

That is so cute and amazing to think she has never played before. It brings tears to my eyes. I so wish I could offer Jing a home but it would not be good for Brambles mending legs to have another big dog (yet). Alfie doesn't count she just lies on him if he gets troublesome. I really hope she finds a home soon. You are doing great stuff with her. :D :D :D
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

A wonderful video! I just know Jing will make someone a great chow!!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
chow fancier
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chow fancier »

Adorable! What a happy chowgirl you have there. That's one of the westies with her isn't it? She doesn't look much bigger than her packmate. It's amazing how much of a chow is fur!
Jerilyn

Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jing »

Thanks everyone,

That is one of my Westies in the photo with Jing Jing she is small about 17 inches to her shoulder but just over 25kg so need to loose a bit. She is doing so well and a funny little girl is emerging by the day :D just before she plays she throws her haed up and side to side it's really sweet and she is also very playful now she throws toys in the air and then rolls about on them oh and on me if I sit on the floor she rubs and rolls on my lap.

She is eating well but only if I sit with her and hold her bowl if I leave her to it then she just walks away and leaves all the food but I expect in time she will eat happily.She relised yesterday that indoors is a nice place to be and by today the only time she goes out is for a quick toilet stop the rest of the time she is indoors after me spending day's trying to convince her to come inside even when it was raining.

She tried to get my male Samoyed to play today by bopping him round the head with her big paws which he did not see the fun side of at all :lol: she is also showing a puupy nature she pulled on the curtains today, knocked a clock over on the TV stand, tried to pull the camera off the table, and thought the bean bag seat was a big toy...she is testing the waters.I think she is going to be a little toy aggresive towards other dogs so that needs work but then after 3 years of not having toys I expect it's something she feels she does not want to share.

She is walking so well on a lead in the woods but is stil very scared of traffic so I am going to start road walking her next week very gently to get her more settled with that.I think she is going to make someone a wonderful family member.

Lee and Jing Jing
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Jing wrote:Thanks everyone,

That is one of my Westies in the photo with Jing Jing she is small about 17 inches to her shoulder but just over 25kg so need to loose a bit. She is doing so well and a funny little girl is emerging by the day :D just before she plays she throws her haed up and side to side it's really sweet and she is also very playful now she throws toys in the air and then rolls about on them oh and on me if I sit on the floor she rubs and rolls on my lap.

She is walking so well on a lead in the woods but is stil very scared of traffic so I am going to start road walking her next week very gently to get her more settled with that.I think she is going to make someone a wonderful family member.

Lee and Jing Jing
If you want her to lose weight, don't hold her bowl while she eats, she's eating to please you, not because she's hungry. Chows don't normally over eat and are actually quite picky about their food, they eat as much as they want and often leave food behind. Most can be free fed. Because you have other dogs this may mean offering Jing food in small amounts throughout the day.

My Darkwind was terrified of large vehicles in the street, to the point where he would slink across the street as fast as possible; I used a clicker and treats, I would use the clicker to distract him and give him treats...it took a while but he eventually learned to not be afraid.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jing »

I have Great news :D :D Jing Jing has a lovely new home with a couple that have owned Chow Chows all their lifes so Jing Jing will be their sixth Chow Chow...
Thanks for having us and to everyone here that sent me and Jing Jing a message :D
Lee and Jing Jing