Does your chow swim

General discussions about Chow Chows.

Moderator: chowadmin

chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Does your chow swim

Post by chowpups »

I can not get our dog anywhere close to the step in our pool.. my concern is she jumps around so much in our back yard Iam worried she could fall in .. Do chows swim?? I know alot go in the rivers and creeks and ocean but I never see them actually swim.. I notice they kinda wade.. My last 2 chows had shepherd in them and they swam but Iam not sure about Nikki .. she seems petrified of the pool.. I just am wondering in an emergency could she swim???
summer_rose03
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Does your chow swim

Post by summer_rose03 »

I believe swimming is a natural instinct in dogs. I am sure she would know what to do in case she fell in.

I can't even get Carter to step in a kiddie pool, let alone swim. I'm not sure if I will ever get him into the water lol. At least not voluntarily. I would love to do dock jumping with him, as he has the ability, but the water thing is stopping us lol.
ImageImage
Thanks SweetPea!
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

If your Chow has free access to the pool, I strongly recommend that you teach her how to get out of the pool if you think that she would actually jump or possibly fall in....it's in the archives here but we have had a member regrettfully tell us about their Chow that got into the swimming pool and did not know how to get out :(
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

i just read on another website that chows can get water logged because of the fur and tire quickly. We do have 2 inpool steps on both ends to get out but I've never had her in because she freaks if you try to get her near.. I guess I will give it a try tomorrow if its nice.. I'll probably be scratched to death from panic stricken Nikki.. I'll let you guys know who survives ..If you don't see me on the boards you guessed it.. Nikki made it and I didn't . And she can't type so you'll figure it out when Iam no longer logged on.. LOL..
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

he swims , but not good , he fell in the wateronce awhen we were crossing as log bridge nd all that wasout was his ears and his nose , he would have tired and drowned very quickly ,,but he had a harnes on and i hauled him out like a lump of soggy luggage ,,

DO NOT leave the chow around the pool ..i know many very sad stories of chow drowning. just a moments inattention.. and dead.. drowned so sad .
there are specialramps for dogs to put in pools ,to help them out ,but they must be trained to use them .. and i would not trust thelife of my friend on them .. search this site , for drowned ,, and pool , bet there is a hit. i remember the image of one drowned chow , the person was so sad,, the chow had on a very stylish cap , i no not recall the name ..
bubba
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bubba »

Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Be very careful because chows do get bogged down from all the fur and their feet aren't designed for swimming either like some other breeds. When Teddie came to me, he had just been pulled out of a water canal. The water district people happened to be doing maintenance and saw him struggling in there. They were able to pull him out but they said he had been in there swimming for over a mile. Teddie is my guy that is terrified of water of any kind. Go figure. We have taken our other chow, Boogie, to the lake and he likes to wade but as soon as we get out where he can't touch, he has a very hard time dog paddling. And he starts to panic until he can touch again.
Zilla
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zilla »

When we were looking to adopt one of the chow ladies said that if we have a pool we need to teach them to get out. I think all dogs by nature can swim but they need to be taught t get out. My 2 won't go close the the water either. I sometimes think about throwing them in and teaching them to get out...but I feel its a little mean... I'd ask a trainer or someone who has done this how they approached getting them in and how to teach them to get out.
Zilla
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

All animals even cats can swim but the weight of the fur soon drags them down. We had sheep on our farm that got chased into a loch by a hikers dog and they could swim fine but they all drowned before we could get them out because of their wool getting water logged. Bramble fell in our pond when she was a puppy and she swam but with only her nose and ears above the water. She would not have lasted long but luckilly found the shallow side for wildlife to get out. She was absolutely exhausted in the little time she was in there that it took for me to see her through the window and run like a mad woman outside. Probably thirty seconds. Can you not get little doggy life jackets? I have seen them for dogs on boats. It would give you more peace of mind.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

they do have life vests for dogs and I can't imagine every time Nikki goes in and out she would wear this jacket .. they do get hot. (she's in and out all day long I go out for something shes right there with me). Anyway I will try to teach her today.. its nice out .. My husband just shakes his head and says Iam nuts...
He said shes never going to like you again once you put her in.. (cause she hates it). Shes good at getting bathed but again shes touching the bottom of the tub.
Iam curious how long she can tread water because just showing her out might not be enough...if she panics and gets water logged she might not make it to the steps.. we have inground walk out steps on one and and a bench seat on the other.
I know what you are saying about adopting a dog. I had a hard time because of the pool..
My pool is next to my kitchen window and I can see everything while shes out there but Iam not always watching her. I guess I better just stay out while shes out.. till we figure this one out..
I never thought about it cause my other dogs swam.. but after reading all this stuff now Iam like a mom with a baby at a pool..
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

They have pool alarms that sound if something or someone breaks the surface of the water. This would work as long as you are home. Otherwise, is there a way to fence off the pool? I have seen those mesh pool fences that a lot of pools have here in California. I think those can be installed fairly easily without having to be dug into the patio.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

We will go with the pool alarm .. Nikki is never out with out us being here. It was a total disaster this morning.. She hates my husband and I now.. She won't even go out in the yard .. I took pictures but having trouble with posting them.. She would not even go near the edge of the pool .. Trainer said to pick her up and go in holding her.. Yeah, we look like we went through a battle and we lost.. and thats just picking her up.. not near the water even.. then we tried sitting and calling her and she'd come close to us but lay down immediately .. tried to put a leash on her and bring her close .. no way. shes too smart for her own good. She does not need her nails done for a while .. she dug those puppies in and held tight to the pavers for dear life.. We did not want to tramatise her so we went slow but not today at least.. maybe another day??? She really never goes out much with out us kinda watching her.. and her yard is in the opposite direction and we can close the gate to her yard but she can't get to the door to tell us she wants in then either. Oh, well at least its safe..
Hubby will make her a special meal to make up tonight.. LOL
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Oh dear it sounds like the pool alarm would be the way to go otherwise Nikki will be so traumatised she wont want to go out at all. Chows have such good memories for the bad things in life but I'm sure she will forgive you soon. Its horrible when you have to do stuff for their own good and they think you are trying to murder them. Try chewing on a piece of tripe (!) that always does it for Bramble she can't bear anyone to have tripe and not her!
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

My two have been trained as to HOW to get out of the swimming pool if by chance they should ever fall in, I make them swim to the steps and get out theirselves with direction from me & our kids EVERY yr. The girl who posted.... Her Chow was a few yrs old and had never gone by the pool so she never considered him falling in and not being able to get out, she was desvestated and posted here because she didn't want this to happen to anyone elses Chow. I'll never forget that.....and mad or not my two have to swim enough to know HOW to get out. I ease them in and encourage them the entire way OUT.
I have also used the pool to help with Hip Dysplasia.....great exercise with little trama to the joints.....do they like it?? NO not really....can they swim??? Yes they can swim, Kearra is smaller and does great...Kyra is heavier and has a more difficult time due to her weight and heavier coat. I don't think she would last a long time if she didn't know her way out. Alarm or not, like it or not....I would make sure your Chow knows how to get out.

Thanks Sweetpea!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

believe me Iam trying.. I read the post and it did hit home cause Nikki will be 3 in Nov. Until she goes in we will be letting her only in her small grass yard off to the side which is gated and fence off.. She's not happy about this but shes safe until she gets her paws in that water..
I will take all suggestions you all may have.. cause I've never had a chow so anti pool.. my last chow wasnt' happy about the pool but did go in and learn how to get out her self..
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

Geoff and I took our chows for swimming lessons years ago. while they did not like going for a swim they did wonderfully. Neither one of them had either been swimming before. I think it was great for Chewie's hips.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

You said you took yours for swim lessons.. Where do you go for lessons?? Is there a place you went to? Is there a person you hired?? I would love it if I didn't have to be the one to do it.. Nikki was not happy after we tried to lure her in to our pool??She has been sulking all night.. really I walk up to pet her and she gets up and walks away and lays down else where? Not like her... And if you take them somewhere else to swim does that teach them how to get out of your pool??
vicster605
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vicster605 »

NO, that doesn't teach them how to get out of your pool :lol: It has to be YOUR pool since no two pools have the same exits. What I did was walk outside with Kearra and pretend I was doing something else....she followed me and I quickly grabbed and dropped her in the pool.....no that wasn't very nice.....My kids were at the exit and started calling her and I was got in the water to the side of her (watch out for toenails they will try grab you) and was prepared to help her if she had trouble.....she swam to the exit. My two have to be around my pool so I had no choose in the matter. She swam out and I did this more than once and let her swim to the steps. Was she mad at me??? Yes, and will avoid me by the pool BUT she won't die if she falls in and I don't see her.
This is the look I got for a few days
Does she like the pool??? No she doesn't.......but I know she knows how to get out if she has too. Do I care if shes mad at me for doing this....not really, because shes safe.
Don't put to much thought into it....just do what you have to do to keep them safe. If they get mad....they get over it, just like the kids do.

Thanks Sweetpea!
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Sounds logical to me! Sure not nice but effectice and great peace of mind !!!
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

Here in North Georgia we have a state park with a very large lake and I have been taking Maggie
in and letting her get wet and swim with me alongside. I put a harness on her to give me something to hold on to while she swims around. What a great way to bathe her,Its a sandy bottom so she can just walk in and out almost beach like.This is my second chow , my first one never liked the water so I wanted to get this one used to the water at a young age.
I also want to thank you all for teaching me what the ZOOMIES are. I never had a dog that did this until I got Maggie. I do worry about her hurting herself because she does it around the dining table and in and out of the chairs. I sure dont want a broken leg so I catch her{sometimes} and lay on top of her until she calms down. What a personality!!!!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

Thanks for the posts, we'll work on it all.
Mia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mia »

Mia and Chutters only drink water from their pool.
Attachments
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG (68.09 KiB) Viewed 12037 times
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (78.43 KiB) Viewed 12041 times
Mia
Purp1eOne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Purp1eOne »

I have a male Chow about 75 pounds that had back issues and one of the treatments I did was to swim him. Worked great for his back and at first he didn't like the water but then he looked forward to it and was excited every time we pulled up to the lake.

He now loves to swim.
chewfozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chewfozz »

Sorry Chowpups I have been neglecting the site for a bit. We took our dogs to a pool just for dog therapy and what we called "lesson" back in Southern NJ (Turnersville). We were moving to a lake community and wanted to make sure that if our dogs ever fell into a lake they could swim. They did not like the "lessons" but it gave us a good idea of how they would swim if in that situation. They knew right were the steps were and made a bee line each time. I will have to post the pics!
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

thank you chewfozz, I would be interested in their technique for getting a dog into the pool first ..